Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure
Home insurance deals and discounts
If you're paying full price for your coverage, it might be time for a change.
You need homeowners insurance to protect your investment against the unexpected. But you might not need to pay full price.
What types of discounts can I get on home insurance?
Before choosing an insurer, check if you’re eligible for a:
- Multi-policy discount. Taking out multiple policies with the same insurer, like homeowners insurance and car insurance, can help you save.
- Online discount. Buying your policy online and going paperless with e-mail or online bills can net you a discount with some insurers.
- Loyalty discount. Whether it’s increased discounts at each policy renewal or straightforward reduced prices after a certain amount of time, you can save more money by sticking with the right insurer.
- Security system discount. Installing a monitored home security system can help you save on your premiums.
- No-claims discount. As with other types of insurance, you can receive a discount if you haven’t made a claim for a certain amount of time.
- Gated community discount. If you live in a gated community or a community with active security, the lower crime risk can translate to lower premiums.
- Non-smoker discount. Not smoking reduces your risk of lung disease — and house fires.
- Impact-resistant roofing discount. Installing an impact-resistant roof can help you save with most home insurers.
- Safety sensors discount. You can get discounts for installing advanced smoke, water and gas sensors.
- Mature homeowner discount. If you’re retired or over 55, you might be eligible for an extra discount.
- Upfront payment discount. You may be able to score an extra discount by paying for a full year of insurance at once instead of paying monthly.
Compare homeowners insurance policies with discounts
How else can I save on coverage?
Discounts aren’t the only way to get a deal on your homeowners insurance. To save even more:
- Choose a higher deductible. Many insurers will let you choose lower premiums for a higher deductible.
- Avoid unnecessary claims. If a repair will cost less than your deductible, or even slightly more, you may be better off paying out of pocket and not filing a claim.
- Weatherproof your home. Reduce your chances of needing to make a claim by making sure your home has suitable weatherproofing for your area and by fixing small maintenance problems before they become big ones.
- Update your home. Modifications or renovations that make your home safer, like new electrical wiring or sprinkler systems, can help you save on your insurance.
- Choose the right sum insured. Your total sum insured is the amount you could claim if you lost everything. If it’s too low you’re underinsured, and if it’s too high you’re paying too much. Have your home appraised before choosing an insurance policy to make sure you’re getting the perfect amount of coverage.
- Look into group coverage. Professional alumni, business groups and other associations may offer home insurance coverage at a reduced price, just be sure it includes all of the coverage you need.
Many homeowners are eligible for multiple discounts to help cut down on the cost of homeowners insurance. If you’re ready to find a policy that fits your needs and budget, compare homeowners insurance companies to find the right one.
Frequently asked questions about home insurance discounts
More guides on Finder
Where to get an at-home COVID test delivered fast
The quickest options can have testing kits delivered within the hour or shipped next day.
A guide to the Somnium Space metaverse
Somnium Space is one of the fastest growing P2E games in the Solana and Ethereum network – learn how to play it here.
Know Your Customer (KYC) Guide
Find out everything you need to know about Know Your Customer (KYC) processes including what information is required, how to pass, and more in Finder’s KYC guide.
Compare car insurance in Stockton
Compare car insurance rates and features that serve Stockton.
Buy rapid antigen COVID tests: Where to find them
Supplies are short with the spread of Omicron. We list the top retailers that sell at-home COVID tests.
Where to buy iHealth at-home rapid COVID tests
Find iHealth in stock and learn what to expect with this top kit that creates a scannable QR code of your results — but isn’t so straightforward with its pricing.
How to play Decentraland
Learn how to play with one of the largest cryptocurrency metaverses in the world.
Where to buy Roche at-home rapid COVID tests
Find Roche in stock and learn what to expect with this top kit that’s approved for use in multiple countries and only requires you to test once.
Where to buy FlowFlex at-home rapid COVID tests
Find FlowFlex in stock and learn what to expect with this top kit that’s easier on the wallet and only requires you to test once.
Where to buy BinaxNow at-home rapid COVID test
Find BinaxNow in stock and learn what to expect with this top kit that’s easy on the nose — but requires more than 1 test.
Ask an Expert