Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own. Advertiser Disclosure

Compare flood insurance

Helpful coverage to protect your home, even if you're not in a high-risk flood zone.

Some 90% of US natural disasters involve flooding, according to the Insurance Information Institute, and 20% of all flood claims are filed in low- or moderate-risk areas. Your standard homeowners or renters policy won't cover flooding, but you have two options when buying a separate policy.

Name Product Storm & water backup Valuable property Enhanced rebuild Homeshare coverage Available states
Lemonade home insurance
Enjoy straightforward pricing, transparent flat fee from this completely digital insurer.
Allstate home insurance
All 50 states
Protect your home and belongings and save even more by bundling insurance with Allstate.
USAA home insurance
All 50 states
Enjoy great rates and wide coverage with USAA. Available to military members and family.
Policygenius home insurance
All 50 states
This online marketplace does most of the work for you, matching you with quotes from 14 highly rated home insurers.
Liberty Mutual home insurance
All 50 states
Invest in affordable insurance that protects your home and your property from damage no matter where you live.

Compare up to 4 providers

What does flood insurance cover?

Coverage can be broken down into two types, which can be purchased together or separately.

  • Contents. Your personal belongings are included under contents coverage. Typically actual cash value is used, rather than replacement value. That means you’ll be paid the amount it was worth, not what it costs to replace with a new version.
  • Building. Your property itself is covered under building flood insurance. Replacement cost is used rather than actual cash value, which means you’re paid based on the cost to replace it — up to the policy maximum.

Parts of your home damaged by flood that could be covered by building flood insurance include:

  • Built-in appliances, bookcases and cabinets
  • Carpet
  • Cisterns
  • Electrical wiring
  • Fuel tanks and fuel
  • Foundation walls
  • Garages
  • Plumbing damage
  • Refrigerators
  • Staircases
  • Stoves
  • Solar energy equipment
  • Window blinds
  • Well pressure tanks and pumps

What doesn’t flood insurance cover?

As with any type of insurance exclusions apply, including:

  • Cabinets unaffected by flooding that would no longer match replacement cabinets
  • Damage caused by earth movement, even if caused by flooding
  • Damage caused by flooding from inside your house
  • Decks, patios and fencing
  • Documents and paper money
  • Financial losses including those caused by business interruption
  • Loss of use to the property
  • Mold, mildew and moisture damage easily avoided or unrelated to flooding
  • Septic systems
  • Swimming pools
  • Trees, plants and landscaping
  • Wells

What types of flood insurance are available?

Get flood insurance coverage through a program managed by FEMA or through a private insurer.

National Flood Insurance Program

Also called FEMA flood insurance, flood insurance offered through the NFIP is backed by the federal government and offered at low rates to property owners, renters and businesses.

The NFIP can afford to offer lower rates because it also encourages communities to adopt regulations for managing floodplains and other flood-mitigation strategies.

How much is NFIP flood insurance?

The cost of NFIP flood insurance has a base rate of $190 for $100,000 in coverage as of 2021 for residential buildings in an area with low to moderate flood risk. Keep in mind the base rate doesn’t include surcharges and additional costs based on your house’s structure, exact location, elevation and other risk factors.

This option is ideal because most homeowners are guaranteed coverage. But you’ll face maximums of $250,000 for building coverage and $100,000 for contents coverage.

Private flood insurance

Policies are available through insurers that aren’t backed by the federal government, though rates are rarely lower than those offered by the NFIP.

Some insurers offer policies that kick in after you’ve expended your NFIP insurance for those who need higher coverage. This excess flood insurance is ideal for homes worth more than $250,000, since the NFIP coverage sets low maximums.

How much is private flood insurance?

Because the private market is small and not competitive, your premium can easily cost several thousand dollars. However, consider comparing prices if you live in a low-risk flood zone, where you might find more competitive premiums.

Federal flood insurance vs. private flood insurance

Get private flood insurance backed by the government or go directly through NFIP for flood insurance.

National Flood Insurance Program


  • Backed by the government
  • Reliable claims fulfillment
  • Widely available low rates


  • Building coverage limited to $250,000
  • Subject to government changes

Private flood insurance


  • Higher insurance caps than the NFIP
  • Choose your own insurer
  • Not affected by government changes


  • Insurers differ in how they cover flood situations
  • Higher premiums than the NFIP
  • Not widely available

How do I apply for flood insurance?

Getting flood insurance is a simple process that could save you thousands in damage expenses. Note that there is a 30-day waiting period before flood coverage takes effect, so consider shopping well before spring flooding season.

  • Through the NFIP. To purchase through the government, you’ll need to find an agent who sells NFIP policies. Check with your current homeowners policy insurer or call the NFIP Referral Call Center at 800-427-4661 to find an agent.
  • Through a private insurer. For a private policy, enter your personal and home information, coverage needs and choice of deductible in an online quote or over the phone. Then make a payment and start your policy.

    Hurricane Harvey: Flood insurance in action

    Susan’s home of more than 20 years was hit with 10 inches of flooding during Hurricane Harvey. Flooring, walls, cabinets and personal belongings were damaged, with costs to repair reaching $100,000.

    Because Susan held a $250,000 policy with $100,000 for personal contents, Susan paid only her deductibles — $2,000 and $1,000 respectively — to repair her home and replace her belongings.

    How to save on flood insurance

    Save on your policy with flood prevention, protection and mitigation:

    • Purchase an elevation certificate. Also called an EC, this document verifies your home’s elevation compared to the expected height of floodwaters in your area, keeping your costs low.
    • Purchase a Preferred Risk Policy. For those outside high-risk zones, consider this policy type that provides coverage combinations for a lower premium.
    • Confirm your community’s CRS enrollment. You could receive a discount on an NFIP policy if your neighborhood is enrolled in the Community Rating System and has worked to reduce flooding risks.
    • Elevate your home. Raising your home even 1 foot above floodwater levels could save you as much as 30% on annual premiums.
    • Raise your utility equipment. You can shave savings off your premiums by elevating your plumbing, heating, air-conditioning and ventilation above flood levels.
    • Install “flood vents.” You may need flood openings in such enclosed spaces as crawlspaces. Homeowners in a floodplain require two openings of at least 1 square inch for every square foot of enclosed space.

    6 steps to file a flood insurance claim

    Keep the right people in the know about your home’s damage after a flood:

    1. Call your insurance company or agent to file an NFIP or private home insurance policy claim.
    2. Provide detailed information about your situation, damages and policy.
    3. Wait for an adjuster to contact you to set up an assessment.
    4. Receive a suggested proof-of-loss document, an official statement of the dollar amount you’re claiming for your loss, from you adjuster.
    5. Complete your proof of loss details within 60 days, including receipts or official estimates to prove value when possible.
    6. Receive an insurance settlement and begin repairs.

    What happens if there’s a flood and I don’t have flood insurance?

    You’ll probably have to pay for damages out of pocket, unless you can prove any of the damage was caused by a covered event. For example, say a tree fell on your roof during the flood. You may be covered for roof damage depending on how your policy

    You may also be able to get a federal disaster recovery loan. The government sometimes offers these no or low-interest loans to communities to help with recovery.

    How can I ready my home for a storm?

    Storms are one of the main ways that flooding occurs. By preparing for storm season, you can protect your home from excessive damage.

    • Clean up outdoors. When the wind picks up, everything from potted plants to trampolines can become dangerous projectiles. Put loose objects away and tie bigger ones down.
    • Clean your gutters. Clear blockages or buildups of leaves and other debris in your gutters and downpipes. They can contribute to damage when heavy rain hits.
    • Check your trees. Make sure there are no trees with branches over your home to prevent damage to your roof in a severe storm. Don’t be afraid to call in the experts if branches are difficult to get to.
    • Check your roof. Firmly secure loose tiles or unsecured corrugated sheets on your roof so they don’t turn into projectiles or pose a flood risk to your home.
    • Prepare a supply kit. Battery-powered flashlights and a radio are essential inclusions in any storm survival kit, as are first-aid supplies and water. You may also wish to include important mementos to protect from damage or loss in a storm.
    • Move your car into the garage. Get your vehicle out of the elements to protect it from damage.
    • Batten down the hatches. Secure your doors, windows and awnings against the elements. Plywood coverings for your windows can offer much-needed protection in extreme weather.
    • Stay indoors. Stay well out of harm’s way, and listen for the latest weather announcements and updates. When you do venture outside again, stay away from fallen power lines.

    Bottom line

    Floods are common weather-related natural disasters that can become dangerous fast. Protect your home with flood insurance to stay afloat with coverage for floors, walls, cabinets and other damages not covered by your homeowners insurance.

    Get started by comparing insurance companies to find an agent or insurer that offers this important protection.

    Frequently asked questions about flood insurance

    When am I required to get flood insurance?

    It depends. If you live in a high-risk zone and have a mortgage with a federally regulated lender you’re required to own flood insurance. But your lender may require a flood insurance policy even in low- or moderate-risk zones, however.

    Why do I need flood insurance if my community has never flooded?

    Many low- to moderate-risk zones experience flooding, accounting for about 20% of flood claims annually. You might consider this protection so that you’re not left paying expensive water damage bills out of pocket.

    How is FEMA flood insurance different from NFIP flood insurance?

    They’re essentially the same. FEMA is the government agency that manages the National Flood Insurance Program. When people say they’re buying a policy through FEMA, they’re referring to a policy through the NFIP.

    More guides on Finder

      Ask an Expert

      You are about to post a question on

      • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
      • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
      • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
      • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked provides guides and information on a range of products and services. Because our content is not financial advice, we suggest talking with a professional before you make any decision.

      By submitting your comment or question, you agree to our Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use.

      Questions and responses on are not provided, paid for or otherwise endorsed by any bank or brand. These banks and brands are not responsible for ensuring that comments are answered or accurate.
      Go to site