Home Chef review
Cook like a boss without having to hit the grocery store.
Want to whip up home-cooked meals without the hassle of grocery shopping and time-consuming prep work? This popular meal kit delivery service lets you do just that, taking the work out of cooking and leaving you with just the fun and satisfaction.
- Choose delivery frequency and how much you want to spend.
- Vegetarian and other dietary options available.
- Simple, easy-to-follow recipe cards come with each meal.
- Online complaints of late deliveries.
Home Chef reviews and complaints
Home Chef gets rave reviews online overall. Most customers are thrilled with the customer service, speedy delivery, quality ingredients and simple recipes. However, a few customers report late deliveries and subpar ingredients.
How does it work?
Home Chef lets you choose specific recipes each week and then sends you everything you need to make them at home. The process follows three simple steps:
- Pick your weekly recipes. Carb-conscious, calorie-conscious, vegetarian and other special dietary needs are available.
- Customize your order. Easily upgrade, swap or double-up ingredients.
- Get cooking. Portioned ingredients arrive at your door, complete with step-by-step recipe cards to follow.
Box size and pricing options
When you create your Home Chef account, you’re asked quick questions about your eating habits and preferences. Then you choose your preferred box size. Pricing varies by the number and size of meals, as well as any customization choices you select each week.
Delivery is free on orders of $40 or more. Otherwise, you’ll pay $10 per shipment.
Shipping, payments and cancellations
Can I get free delivery?
Yes! Weekly subscriptions of $40 or more ship for free.
Shipping is $10 on orders of up to $40.
Home Chef currently accepts all major credit cards and PayPal.
The payment method that you use to place your first order is automatically used for future orders. To change your payment preference, log in to your account and go to Billing information.
You must make the change before noon CT on the Friday before your next order. Otherwise, your previous payment method is billed.
How do I pause or cancel my subscription?
To pause or cancel your Home Chef subscription:
- Log in to your account, and then click Account information.
- Select Pause your subscription.
- Select your reason for the change.
- Choose whether you want to skip a week, change the frequency of your subscription, reschedule your start date or cancel your subscription.
Changes must be made before noon CT on the Friday before your next delivery is set to ship. Otherwise, you’re billed for and receive your last delivery before the account changes take effect.
What sets Home Chef apart?
Home Chef caters to busy people and families that want to cook fresh, healthy meals but don’t have the time to shop, prep and cook. Each meal comes with an easy-to-follow recipe card, so you don’t have to worry about figuring out what the heck to do with the contents of your box.
Plus, the brand offers a wide selection of meal sizes, helping you fit home-cooked meals into most budgets.
How can I contact customer support?
The two fastest ways to get in touch with Home Chef customer service:
- Call 872-225-2433 weekdays from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT or Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. CT.
- Leave a message by filling out a secure online contact form.
Home Chef vs. competitors
Home Chef is an option if you’re looking to save time but still want to cook your own meals at home. Customers online report satisfaction with the simple recipes, but watch for delivery issues.
If you’re not quite sold on this brand, compare similar options to find the best fit for your palate and budget.