HODL That Thought Podcast #5: Cryptocurrency basics with Skye Dunworth from Spendher
This week we spoke to Skye Dunworth from Spendher about the basics of bitcoin and the blockchain. Spendher is an Australian app which makes buying and selling bitcoin using your phone easy. In the podcast we touched on many of the basic questions around crypto currencies including how to store your currencies, how mining works, and the main differences between a fiat currency and a crypto currency. Also on the podcast, Liz, Marc and Adam discuss Malta as a potential crypto hub, Pablo Escobar’s brother’s new crypto currency and 11-year-old crypto wiz kids.
To download, press the button.
Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes
Moving the needle
- 2:37 – Malta trying to become hub for crypto
- 6:11 – 80% of ICOs are scams
- 7:38 – Monero has been embraced by the alt-right
- 10:16 – Pablo Escobar’s brother has started his own cryptocurrency
- 14:26 – Prague cryptomining bears fruit…or vegetables
- 17:07 – 11-year-old crypto wiz prepares for ICO
Interview with Skye Dunworth
- 21:55 – What is Spendher?
- 23:13 – Why is buying crypto currencies so complicated?
- 24:20 – What drew you to bitcoin and did you expect it to rise so fast?
- 25:05 – How will regulations impact the buying and selling of bitcoin and cryptocurrencies?
- 26:23 – Security tips for users getting into crypto currencies
- 27:53 – Tips for beginners looking to store their crypto currencies
- 29:45 – Is there a way to have one wallet for all of your crypto currencies?
- 30:44 – How does cold storage work?
- 32:18 – What are the main differences between a crypto currency and fiat currency?
- 35:35 – How understanding fiat currency can help you understand crypto currency
- 37:20 – Bitcoin vs Gold video
- 37:51 – How mining factors into crypto currency and why it’s necessary?
- 40:32 – What happens once all bitcoin is mined?
- 40:55 – If miners are necessary for security, what happens to bitcoin once it stops getting mined?
- 41:46 – What excites Skye about crypto currencies and the blockchain?
- 45:19 – Who does Skye think Satoshi Nakamoto is? Hint: It’s not Craig Wright
- 46:36 – What has the reception been so far towards Spendher?
Are you broke yet?
HODL that thought provides information, entertainment and some incidental education and insight about cryptocurrencies, exchanges and the market for virtual currencies. We are not registered as securities broker-dealers or investment advisers. Nothing we present is, or is intended to be, securities brokerage, investment, tax, accounting or legal advice, as an offer or solicitation to sell or buy, or as an endorsement, recommendation or sponsorship of cryptocurrency or any specific provider, service or offering. Nor are we encouraging you to trade. Cryptocurrencies are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance is no guarantee of future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information. You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory requirements) and fully understand any and all risks before acting on any information we present. Finder, and the presenters, accept no liability whatsoever for any direct or consequential loss arising from your use of this information. Finder, and the presenters, may have holdings in the cryptocurrencies discussed.