Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Business class transfers are now available for individual senders.
- Good for securing competitive exchange rates through local banks
- Not so great when you want diverse payment options like credit cards or cash
TransferMate exchange rates and fees
TransferMate charges a €10 (roughly HKD$91.5) fee on all transactions for non-business customers. As for how much of a margin TransferMate adds to the exchange rate, when compared to Google, Xe or the news, it’s typically within 1%.
Because TransferMate operates through a network of over 200 banks accounts in 162 countries, it is able to offer transfers in over 130 currencies.
TransferMate offers money transfers in 134 currencies, including all major currencies and exotic currencies that are globally traded. The company does not work with restricted currencies. Major currencies include the following:
- EUR Euro
- INR Indian rupee
- GBP British pound
- MXN Mexican peso
- CAD Canadian dollar
- JPY Japanese yen
- CHF Swiss franc
- AUD Australian dollar
There’s no minimum amount for your transfer but TransferMate recommends you send at least $1,000 (~$7,750HKD) to get the most of its service. This also helps cover its €10 fee when combined with its competitive rates.
What types of transfers can you make with TransferMate?
TransferMate offers four main transfer types:
- Spot contracts. This is a one-time transfer using the current exchange rate.
- Flexible spot contracts. This locks in the current price for the next three months, for better or for worse.
- Stop loss order. This is an order that prevents the exchange of currency when the price falls below a certain point that you decide.
- Market order. This is an order that only exchanges currency when the price hits a certain target that you decide.
How long does a transfer with TransferMate take?
There are a number of factors that affect the transfer time:
- Currency. When transferring between more common currencies, the transfers are faster.
- Bank used. Smaller banks in more remote areas may delay transfer time slightly.
- Transaction size. Priority depends on the transaction size, so consult TransferMate when planning to send an extremely large or small transaction.
TransferMate routes all transactions through its own network of partner banks and typically can have funds delivered within a day if the original transfer is set up before noon.
Note: TransferMate is a member of the global SWIFT network and uses this to transfer funds, which allows for easy tracking and monitoring during all stages of the process.
Transfers typically take
What payment methods does TransferMate accept?
TransferMate accepts payments via bank-to-bank wire transfers and electronic ACH transfers.
After booking your TransferMate money transfer, you’ll receive an email with details on how to pay. You’ll be paying the money into TransferMate’s bank account in your country, who will then transfer your money onwards from there.
Is TransferMate safe to use?
- Security and regulation: TransferMate is government regulated in every country it operates in and allows tracking of all funds through the SWIFT network.
- Established: 2009
- Number of customers: Over 15,000* businesses worldwide, partnered with Dwolla and part of The Taxback Group
- Investors: Allied Irish Banks and ING Bank
- Reviews: Reviewcentre gives TransferMate 4.7* out of 5 stars, based on 525 reviews.
TransferMate is regulated and licensed in Europe, the US (all states), the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Hong Kong and Singapore. In addition to being licensed and regulated, all TransferMate websites use SSL 256-bit encryption for added security.
How does TransferMate make money?
TransferMate makes its money through transfer fees and the market spread. Individual transfers have a standard flat-rate fee, while business transfers operate on a sliding scale depending on the amount.
The margin varies from currency to currency but typically ranges between 0.10% and 1%, depending on market volatility and the popularity of the currency you are buying or selling.
How to register an account
What is TransferMate?
TransferMate is primarily a B2B payments company that allows individual transfers as well. The company was founded in 2010 and is currently headquartered in Kilkenny, Ireland, with other major offices in San Francisco, New York and Sydney. Terry Clune and Sinead Fitzmaurice launched TransferMate under The Taxback Group company umbrella.
In a nutshell
- Competitive exchange rates. TransferMate offers real-time exchange rates that are very close to the mid-market rate.
- Fast transactions. Same-day transactions are possible through the SWIFT network, with completion in as little as 10 minutes.
- Huge range of currencies. TransferMate exchanges all major and exotic currencies so long as they are legal – over 130 in total.
- Integrated business services. TransferMate specializes in B2B transfers and has a suite of services to facilitate large and recurring international payments.
- No maximum limit, low minimum limit. With no maximum transfer amount, transfers can be as high as you want. The smallest amount you can send is $1, but TransferMate recommends a transfer amount of at least USD$1,000 (~HKD$7,750) to benefit from its exchange rates.
- Limited payment options. You have to pay through a money transfer or ACH, which means you can’t use your credit or debit card.
- Moderate fees for individuals. The €10 fee for all individual transactions is steep when sending or receiving less than USD$1,000 (~HKD$7,750).
How does TransferMate compare to other services?
TransferMate focuses on B2B transfers, so individuals sending less than $1,000 may not benefit from the competitive exchange rates. Use the table below to decide for yourself if paying a larger fee upfront to secure a better exchange rate is worth it.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
WeChat Pay 微信支付
Find out how WeChat Pay works, including its safety and limitations for users in Hong Kong.
CurrencyFair international money transfers
Check out our comprehensive review of CurrencyFair international money transfers, including fees, exchange rates, security and transfer times.
Wise (TransferWise) for Business review
If you’re a borderless company, it’s worth taking a look at Wise’s new product for businesses.
Our review of CurrencyTransfer as an option for your oversease money transfers.
HKD to NOK Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Hong Kong Dollar to Norwegian Krone. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to NOK.
Hong Kong Dollar to Nigerian Naira Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Hong Kong Dollar to Nigeria Naira. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to NGN.
HKD to MXN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Hong Kong dollar to Mexican Peso. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to MXN.
HKD to EGP Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Hong Kong Dollar to Egyptian Pound. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to EGP.
HKD to ARS Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Hong Kong Dollars to Argentine Peso. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to ARS.
Ask an Expert