Review: PayPal Hong Kong international money transfer
Some transfers are fast and free. But you might find lower fees and stronger rates on international transactions elsewhere.
PayPal is a well-known, digital payments company. Owned by eBay Inc., PayPal offers a fast and safe way to send money online.
Having been established in 1998, PayPal processes some 9.3 million payments every day, and it has more than 150 million active account holders worldwide. Trading in 100 currencies and across more than 200 markets, PayPal currently holds around 200,000 million accounts worldwide.
Min. Transfer Amount
Max. Transfer Amount
|Min. Transfer Amount||USD 15|
|Max. Transfer Amount||USD 60,000|
|Transfer Methods||Online, Bank Account to Bank Account|
Minimum transfer time
|Available Currencies||AUD, BRL, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HUF, ILS, JPY, MXN, MYR, NOK, NZD, PHP, PLN, SEK, SGD, THB, TWD, UAH, USD|
Zak Killermann is a publisher at Finder who’s been specializing in cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology for four years — covering everything from ICO booms, crypto winters, memecoins and more. He’s mined and minted cryptocurrencies, and remembers the days when DOGE was just for fun. Zak’s focus is in breaking down technical concepts into approachable nuggets of information. Before diving into all things crypto, Zak contributed to Finder’s money transfers vertical.
PayPal is one of the most well-known ways to pay online, particularly helpful for users who want an added layer of security when online shopping. Although PayPal is a popular option for buying and selling online domestically, you can also use it to send money both domestically and internationally.
When it comes to sending money to loved ones both near and far, PayPal may not be your best bet due to higher fees and weaker exchange rates. Using PayPal to send money within the US is a viable option as long as you use the Friends and Family option, but when sending money abroad be sure to shop around to save some money.
How do PayPal international transfers work in Hong Kong?
PayPal international transfers work similar to regular PayPal transfers, in that it allows you to send, receive and store money digitally. But while a lot of domestic PayPal transfers are free, international PayPal transfers typically come with a fee.
Why should I consider PayPal?
- Fast transfers to other PayPal users. Transfers direct from one PayPal account to another are almost always instant.
- Security. PayPal monitors all transactions for fraud, uses industry-standard encryption and has many dispute resolution options. Additionally, AI systems add to PayPal’s resiliency against fraudulent transactions.
- Worldwide network. PayPal is available in more than 200 countries around the world, but you’ll be limited to the 20+ currencies that PayPal supports.
- Free local transfers. When sending locally from one PayPal balance to another, your transaction will be free if you send through the “Friends and Family” option.
What should I be aware of with PayPal?
- Expensive international transfers. You could face a layer of fees that vary by method, amount and country. Many transfers to recipients outside the US come with fees based on your transfer amount in addition to a flat fee in the currency you’re transferring to.
- Weak exchange rates. When sending money to foreign currencies, you may be forced to accept an exchange rate below the mid-market rate.
- Fees when using credit and debit cards. Expect yet more fees if you plan to fund your transaction with a card, rather than your PayPal account or a linked bank account.
- Extra steps when receiving money. When someone pays you on PayPal, you have to manually go into your account and request a bank payout — further increasing the time it takes for that money to hit your bank account.
PayPal international exchange rates and fees explained
PayPal international transfer fees depend on where you’re sending money to, how you’re sending it and how you plan to fund it. For international deliveries in Hong Kong, you may face layers of fees that include flat rates and percentages of your transaction amount. PayPal does not have any hidden fees, but its fee structure is complex. When using PayPal in Hong Kong, pay close attention to fees and exchange rates to avoid feeling like hidden fees snuck up on you.
PayPal fees in HKD
The following fees apply when sending money to friends and family from Hong Kong.
|Funding method||Destination country||Fees|
|PayPal balance or linked bank account||Hong Kong||$0|
|Credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit||Hong Kong||3.4% + a fixed fee of 2.35 HKD|
|PayPal balance or linked bank account||Any other country||38.99 HKD|
|Credit card, debit card or PayPal Credit||Any other country||38.99 HKD + 3.4% + a fixed fee based on currency (~2.35 HKD)|
PayPal goods and services selling fees
When selling goods and services through PayPal, these are the fees you might pay based on what country the PayPal account of the person buying from you comes from.
|Sale Type:||Buyer’s PayPal account location:||Fee|
|Online||Hong Kong||3.9% of the transaction amount + a fixed fee based on the currency.|
|Online||International||4.4% of the transaction amount + a fixed fee based on the currency.|
|QR Code Transactions – 80.00 HKD and below||Hong Kong/International||1.7% of the transaction amount + a fixed fee for QR code transactions.|
|QR Code Transactions – 80.01 HKD and above||Hong Kong||1.2% of the transaction amount + a fixed fee for QR code transactions.|
|QR Code Transactions – 80.01 HKD and above||International||1.7% of the transaction amount + a fixed fee for QR code transactions.|
Fixed fee based on currency
|Australian dollar||0.30 AUD|
|Brazilian real||0.60 BRL|
|Canadian dollar||0.30 CAD|
|Czech koruna||10 CZK|
|Danish krone||2.60 DKK|
|Hong Kong dollar||2.35 HKD|
|Hungarian forint||90 HUF|
|Israeli shekel||1.20 ILS|
|Japanese yen||40 JPY|
|Malaysian ringgit||2.00 MYR|
|Mexican peso||4.00 MXN|
|New Zealand dollar||0.45 NZD|
|Norwegian krone||2.80 NOK|
|Philippine peso||15 PHP|
|Polish zloty||1.35 PLN|
|Russian ruble||10 RUB|
|Singapore dollar||0.50 SGD|
|Swedish krona||3.25 SEK|
|Swiss franc||0.55 CHF|
|Taiwan new dollar||10 TWD|
|Thai baht||11 THB|
|UK pounds sterling||0.20 GBP|
|US dollar||0.30 USD|
Fixed fee for QR Code transactions 80.01 HKD and above (based on currency received)
HKD: 0.80 HKD (for other currencies’ fixed fee, please refer to PayPal’s merchant fees menu)
Fixed fee for QR code transactions 80.00 HKD and below (based on currency received)
HKD: 0.39 HKD (for other currencies’ fixed fee, please refer to PayPal’s merchant fees menu)
PayPal international exchange rates
When we checked on 30 Dec, 2021, PayPal’s exchange rate markups were anywhere from 3 – 4% or more, depending on the currency.
|1 HKD =||Mid-market rate||PayPal’s markup|
How to check PayPal’s exchange rates:
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Select Wallet / Go to Money Page, which should be near the top of your screen.
- Choose Currency Calculator, which is under your PayPal balance.
- Pick the currencies you want to convert to see rates.
Compare PayPal to other money transfer services in Hong Kong
Other international money transfer apps that send money overseas could offer you a better exchange rate than PayPal in Hong Kong. Check out the table below to see what your transfer could look like with another company.
Want to compare PayPal to other services side-by-side?
How to use PayPal
One of the most popular uses for PayPal is to send and receive money online. Whether you’re sending this money to businesses or friends, the process is similar. In general, you’ll have to create your account, add money to it and then choose who to send it to. Here are the steps:
Making a PayPal account
Creating a PayPal account can be done for free and with little verification needed. To begin, follow these steps:
- Visit PayPal’s website and click or tap Sign Up for Free.
- Next, you’ll be prompted to choose between a Personal Account and a Business Account. Chances are you want a personal account — if you’re signing up your business account, head on over to our PayPal for Business page for more information.
- Enter your name, email and password then choose Next.
- You’ll then be asked for your address and phone number — these help PayPal confirm you’re a real person.
- Now you’re ready to add money to your PayPal account.
Once your account is created, you can start receiving money right away, but you’ll have to add a payment method and bank account if you want to withdraw funds.
Adding money to PayPal
There are a few different types of PayPal accounts for personal use in Hong Kong, including PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus in addition to the standard PayPal account. PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus accounts allow you to manage a PayPal balance but aren’t required to use PayPal.
To add money to a PayPal account from your computer:
- Visit PayPal’s website and log in.
- Select Wallet at the top of the screen.
- Choose Transfer Money, and then select Add money to your balance, which is under Money in.
- Choose your preferred bank account, enter the amount to transfer and select Add.
Transfers into your PayPal balance typically take 3-5 business days and incur no PayPal fees. However, it is always worth double-checking with your bank account beforehand to make sure your bank won’t charge any fees.
How to send money through PayPal in Hong Kong
Money can be sent both domestically and internationally with PayPal in Hong Kong. Different fees may apply depending on who you are transferring to, the purpose of the transfer and what country they live in. In general, to send a domestic PayPal transfer:
- Log in to your account and choose Send & Request.
- Enter your recipient’s phone number or email address, the amount you want to send and a description of the transfer.
- Review the total cost for your transaction, including transfer fees, your payment method and possible fees depending on transfer destination and speed.
- Select Send Payment Now if you’re ready to transfer your funds.
How to receive money on PayPal in Hong Kong
Money can be sent to your PayPal account through your connected email address or mobile number, so be sure you provide the person paying you with the correct information. Once they’ve paid you, PayPal will send you an email, a text message or both to let you know there is money in your account.
There are a few ways you can withdraw money from your PayPal account in Hong Kong:
- Leave the money in your balance. If you plan on spending money on PayPal soon, leaving some money in your PayPal balance is a way to cover future PayPal expenses.
- Request a cheque. PayPal will send you a cheque by mail if you select this option, but fees may apply.
- Transfer money from PayPal to bank account. To transfer to your bank account, choose the Transfer to your bank button after you accept the money.
Case study: Katia's experience
Thanks to its ironclad security, I also like using PayPal for eBay purchases or whenever I’m shopping on a site for the first time. I know that if I have any issues, PayPal’s team will step in to help me to recover my money — which they’ve done in the past.
However, PayPal’s fees and charges can seriously stack up, especially if I opt to pay with my card. For that reason, I still turn to trusty Wise whenever I need to send money to and from Australia and my adopted home in the US. I like Wise’s interface better, too.
Is PayPal safe?
PayPal takes many measures to keep your money and transactions safe and secure, but how you use PayPal still factors into whether or not it is safe for you to use. PayPal helps keep you and your money safe by:
- Protecting your sensitive information. PayPal doesn’t share your full financial information with sellers, which may help protect you from identity theft.
- Monitoring transactions 24/7. Both humans and algorithms monitor PayPal transactions to spot fraud.
- Encrypting your data. PayPal uses bank-level encryption, including SSL 3.0 with an encryption key length of 168 bits.
- Offering fraud prevention. PayPal will never contact you asking for sensitive information by email or telephone — always contact PayPal if anything about your account history seems suspicious.
- Providing dispute resolution. PayPal will help resolve disputes between buyers and sellers when PayPal is used as the payment method.
PayPal reviews and complaints
Reviews accurate as of December 30, 2021.
|Trustpilot score||1.2 out of 5, based on 20,540 customer reviews|
|BBB rating||B, with 13,632 complaints in the last 3 years|
|PCMag.com||4 out of 5, staff reviewed|
|Finder.com||4 out of 5, staff reviewed|
PayPal is a massive global company with millions of daily users. When investigating the negative reviews on Trustpilot, we saw a trend of complaints focused on poor customer service and extremely long wait times on both phone and chat support. To avoid some of these issues, always be sure to read existing reviews on a buyer before making a purchase.
Also, thoroughly read PayPal’s buyer protection fine print to fully understand what is and isn’t covered before relying on it to guarantee you a refund. Many of the scams that people face on PayPal are common money transfer scams.
Is there a PayPal app?
- Send money to loved ones. Send money to friends and family locally using your PayPal balance or bank account for free.
- Log in using biometrics. Both face and fingerprint recognition can be used to log in.
- Send money around the world. Send money internationally through PayPal.
PayPal app reviews
|Reviews accurate as of December 30, 2021|
|Google Play Store||4.4 out of 5, based on 2,340,184 customer reviews|
|Apple App Store||4.8 out of 5, based on 172.9K customer reviews|
What other products does PayPal offer in Hong Kong?
PayPal can help you or your business beyond moving money worldwide or supporting your e-commerce business.
- Online shopping. Sign up for an account to pay for purchases at digital retailers without pulling out your credit or debit card. You can also donate to a series of charities or fund a gaming hobby directly from your account.
- Lines of credit. Buy now and pay later with PayPal Credit — up to six months later with no interest.
- Mobile wallet. Use PayPal’s mobile wallet app to pay for in-store purchases at a growing list of brick-and-mortar retailers.
- PayPal Ventures. The company invests in fintech startups and other early-stage companies looking for a lift off the ground.
- Digital loans. Your PayPal business account grants you access to flexible loans for a fixed fee with no credit check.
- Card processing. Add a PayPal button to your e-commerce site to accept debit and credit cards and simplify your accounting.
- Mobile card reader. Use your phone or tablet for on-the-go payments to your business through PayPal’s mobile card reader.
PayPal is a strong solution for fee-free direct domestic transfers to other PayPal accounts in Hong Kong. But international transfers come with a complicated fee structure which you’re likely better off avoiding with a money transfer specialist offering lower fees and stronger rates — especially on large transfers.