Send money to Ukraine
Safely send hryvnias to friends and family.
Compare the transfer fees and exchange rates with different international transfer providers to get the most out of your money.
Compare money transfers to Ukraine
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Ukraine.
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers all you to send money to recipients overseas. You can go through your bank or a transfer service, and the process generally involves sending cash or depositing the currency of the country into your recipient’s bank account. You can convert dollars to hryvnias online or in person at a transfer location and have your transfer in the hands of your recipient as soon as the next business day.Back to top
Why should I compare my options beyond my bank?
Because the Ukrainian hryvnia is considered an exotic currency, your bank is unlikely to deal in them. This means that you may have to convert your dollars to euros, and your recipient will then have to convert those euros to hryvnias. The multi-step process is sure to lose money in variable exchange rates, so finding a money transfer company that converts dollars directly into hryvnias is the best way to get a good deal.
A reputable money transfer specialist can offer better exchange rates and will likely charge lower fees, resulting in savings for you and more Ukrainian hryvnia for your recipient.Back to top
What’s the best way to send a business transfer to Ukraine?
From suppliers and customers to sourcing and selling products, a modern business must regularly exchange funds from overseas. But if you aren’t sure how to get the best value for your money, these transactions can become significant lines on your expense reports. Learn more about cost-effective ways to send international business transfers.Back to top
How should I compare money transfer services to Ukraine?
While exchange rates and transfer fees affect how much you’ll pay, you’ll also need to consider how quickly your money needs to get to where it’s going, among other factors.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Look for a company that’s close to the mid-market rate — or the rate banks and transfer services use when trading among themselves. Remember that companies with strong exchange rates may also require higher fees.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large payment, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rates are a flexible way to compare the value of one currency against another. They fluctuate daily based on the global economic and political climate, so it’s best to check the recent trends before you send money overseas. With Hong Kong dollars (HKD) versus Ukrainian hryvnias (UAH), the HKD is usually stronger than the UAH. This means that every dollar you spend will net you more hryvnias.
Options for sending money to Ukraine from Hong Kong
- Bank transfers. Many major Hong Kong banks will allow you to wire money to a Ukrainian bank account. However, a downside is the frustratingly high fees and weak exchange rates you’ll typically receive.
- Online money transfer services. Trusted providers make it simple and convenient to send money from your home to Ukraine.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union, MoneyGram and Ria offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Ukraine.
- Peer-to-peer apps. Venmo, Circle and PayPal are just a few of the apps you can use to send money to Ukraine.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or postal service.
How to send money to Ukraine
- Select a money transfer company from the list above.
- Click Go to Site to begin the application process.
- Create an account.
- Start a transaction and supply your recipient’s information.
- Determine how much you’d like to send to Ukraine.
- Pay for the transaction.
- Save the transaction number so you can be sure your transfer goes smoothly.
Same-day cash transfers in Ukraine
You might need to send a fast cash transfer to Ukraine. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Tips for picking up cash in Ukraine
Whether picking up funds in Kiev or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Cash pickup locations in Ukraine
Read more on this topic
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
How to send money to Slovenia How to send money to Slovenia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert