Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Uganda
Money transfer services are an easy and affordable way to send money to Uganda.
If you’re looking to send money to a friend or family member in Uganda, a money transfer service could be the key to converting your Hong Kong dollars to Ugandan shillings–without the high fees that banks traditionally charge.
Compare money transfer services to Uganda
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers are designed to help you send money to someone else whenever you want. The process can be done in person, over the phone or online. You can transfer money from your bank account and have it exchanged into Ugandan shillings before your recipient picks it up as cash or has the money moved into their bank account.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Although a bank can be a quick way to convert your dollars into shillings, it isn’t the best method. When you need to send an international money transfer, a money transfer company that specializes in this service will offer better exchange rates with smaller fees.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring to Uganda?
- Exchange rates. How do the company’s exchange rates compare to those offered by its competition?
- Transaction fees. Most companies will charge a fee each time you send a transfer, so check to see the amount you will have to pay for each transaction. It’s also worth investigating whether the fee will not be charged if you transfer a large amount.
- Transfer methods. Do you place transfers online or by visiting a branch? Are phone and mobile app transfers offered as well?
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Transfer time. Some companies offer transfers within minutes, while others have processing times of several business days.
- Minimum transfer amounts. If the company imposes minimum or maximum transaction limits, make sure those limits won’t affect your ability to send transfers.
- Pickup options. Will the money be sent to Uganda via bank account transfer, or will your recipient be able to pick up the sum in cash from a transfer agent?
- Customer service. If you have a question about a transfer, will you be able to quickly access customer service? Are phone, email and live online chat support all available?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are determined by the global economic climate. Fluctuations in currency are common, and the Hong Kong dollar is usually much stronger than the Ugandan shilling. For this reason, you’ll be able to get quite a few shillings per dollar sent overseas.
Options for sending money to Uganda from Hong Kong
- Money transfer providers. Compare your options to find transfer companies that can send money to Uganda.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram both have extensive worldwide transfer networks with branches in Uganda.
- Bank transfers. Compare the fees and exchange rates your bank offers with those of other providers.
- International check. Sending an international guaranteed check overseas is a slow but secure transfer method..
What are the steps to send money to Uganda?
The exact transfer method you need to follow will depend on the provider you choose to handle the transaction, but you will usually need to
- Compare your providers. On the table above, compare the exchange rates and fees offered by our trusted providers.
- Register for a free account. This can often be done online, and you will need to provide your full name, your contact details and proof of ID.
- Enter your transaction information. You’ll need to tell the provider where you’re sending money, how much you’ll be sending and who will be receiving the transfer.
- Pay for your transfer. You can then pay for and submit your transfer request, making sure you keep any reference number you are given so that you can monitor the progress of your transaction.
Emergency cash transfers in Uganda
Emergency cash transfers are possible, but be aware that they will also be more expensive. Transfer companies will charge extra fees for expedited services, and you won’t get the best exchange rate when you use this option. If you can wait a few days to have your money transfered, you’ll receive much better rates that both you and your recipient will benefit from.
Tips for picking up cash in Uganda
Always take care when you are picking up a cash transfer. Confirm a transfer agent’s hours of operation and available funds before visiting, and avoid traveling through any unsafe areas. Don’t carry the money around with you for any longer than is absolutely necessary, and make sure you deposit it into your bank account as soon as possible.Back to top
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
What is Siacoin? Understanding the Sia platform
Delivering the power of the blockchain to cloud hosting, Sia is a peer-to-peer solution for data storage.
IDEX cryptocurrency exchange review
If you’re looking for a secure, decentralised exchange where you can trade a huge range of Ethereum ERC20 tokens, check out our review of IDEX.
Get bitcoin with a credit card at xCoins – January 2021 review
xCoins connects borrowers and lenders of bitcoin through an instant peer-to-peer lending platform.
DDEX cryptocurrency exchange – January 2021 review
If you want to know more about the features, fees and pros and cons of the DDEX cryptocurrency exchange, check out this comprehensive review.
LocalMonero cryptocurrency exchange – January 2021 review
LocalMonero is a global peer-to-peer marketplace where users can buy and sell Monero (XMR) using their local currency. Find out how the platform works in this detailed guide.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
OTC cryptocurrency trading explained
Learn about OTC cryptocurrency trading, what it is and how it works in this comprehensive guide.
What is Ethereum’s Casper update? Everything you need to know
Read our ultimate guide to the Ethereum Casper update, how it works and how it will change the Ethereum network.
Ask an Expert