How to send money to the United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Find the best exchange rates when you want to send money to the United Arab Emirates from Hong Kong.
Sending money between Hong Kong and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. Between banks and money transfer companies, you have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to converting your dollars to dirham. Be sure to compare the fees you’ll be charged and familiarise yourself with the common exchange rates in order to get the most out of your transfer.
Compare international money transfers to UAE
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers allow you to send Hong Kong dollars to another country in its currency. If you have friends or family in the UAE, then transferring HKD to AED makes it easy to help out when someone you love is in need. You can use cash, a credit card or transfer money directly from your bank account when you complete a transaction with a money transfer company. Your recipient can then pick up the cash in person or have the money deposited into their bank account. The process is generally quick, and if you compare fees and exchange rates ahead of time, it doesn’t have to be costly.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Because the UAE dirham is traded globally, your bank will be able to easily transfer money between Hong Kong and the UAE. However, banks tend to have larger fees than money transfer companies, so your transaction will likely be more expensive through your bank. The exchange rates tend to be worse than money transfer companies. Generally, you’ll save more money and be able to transfer more dirham when you go through a money transfer company instead of your bank.
What to compare when looking at money transfer companies
- Exchange rates. How do each company’s rates compare to those offered by other providers? Are they higher, lower or roughly the same when compared to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay when you send a transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee when you send a large amount of money?
- Transfer methods. What options are available for making transfers: online, over the phone or at a branch? Is there a smart phone app available?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. How long will it take for the funds you send to make it into your recipient’s bank account or wallet?
- Minimum amount. Is there a minimum transfer limit you will have to meet?
- Pick-up methods. Will the funds be available for collection from a branch or will they be transferred straight into your recipient’s bank account?
- Customer service. Are phone, email and/or online customer support offered?
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is determined by the global political and economic climate. A currency may be strong or weak against another depending on how the country is doing. Because exchange rates fluctuate, the best way to get more dirham out of your dollars is to find the trends and make a transfer on a day where a HK dollar is worth more UAE dirham.
Options for sending money to the UAE from Hong Kong
- Bank transfers. You can safely and securely send funds from a Hong Kong bank account to an account in the UAE.
- Online money transfer providers. There are plenty of trusted online money transfer companies that can send secure and affordable transactions.
- Money transfer companies with cash pick-up options. Consider companies that offer this service, such as Western Union and MoneyGram
- Cheques. International cheques can be obtained from your bank and sent overseas.
How to send money to the UAE
Transferring money isn’t difficult, but it can be confusing if you’ve never done it before. Here are the steps you should follow when sending money from Hong Kong to the UAE.
- Compare the exchange rates and fees of the money transfer companies in the chart above.
- Click the “Go to Site” link and register with the provider.
- Enter your recipient’s information and confirm how much money you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Keep the tracking number close to make sure your transfer is completed successfully.
That’s it. If your recipient is picking up cash, they will also need the tracking and confirmation numbers to complete the transaction.
Tips for picking up cash in the UAE
There are a few simple precautions you can take to ensure you and your money remain safe. Avoid any dangerous parts of town and make sure not to advertise the fact that you’re carrying around a large sum of cash. Ask a friend to come along when you pick up your cash, and as soon as you can, deposit your money into a secure bank account or safe.
Emergency cash transfers to the UAE
Although there are companies that are willing to make emergency transfers of HKD to AED, be mindful that this is an expensive process that will have more fees and a worse exchange rate than the slower, more traditional process. You’ll have to pay extra to get the money to the UAE quickly, so if the transfer can wait, it’s best to compare your options and avoid unnecessary charges.
Cash pick-up locations in UAE
Read more on this topic
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
How to send money to Slovenia How to send money to Slovenia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert