How to send money to Tunisia
Are you looking for a way to send money to Tunisia without spending too much in fees?
Sending money between Hong Kong and Tunisia doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive. Our guide on money transfer services, fees and cash pickup in Tunisia will help you find the best service for you when you’re looking to exchange Hong Kong dollars for Tunisian dinars.
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers can be done either through a bank or a transfer service. It’s a simple process that involves entering your and your recipient’s personal information and the amount you want sent. You give the company cash or access to your bank account, and the money will be turned into Tunisian dinars for a small fee. Your recipient can then pick up their dinars in person or have them electronically deposited into their bank account.
Compare money transfer services to Tunisia
What are the steps to send money to Tunisia?
The steps involved in sending money to Tunisia depend on the method you choose.
Transfer to a bank account.
- Find a provider on the table above and click the Go to Site link.
- Enter your recipient’s name, account number, bank name and the bank routing number.
- If you aren’t using a bank, you’ll also need to enter your own bank account information.
- Once the transaction is complete, write down the tracking number.
- Make sure your transfer goes through within the time frame set by the provider.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Tunisia?
It can be confusing sending money between countries, but these are some important aspects you should keep in mind when sending money from Hong Kong to Tunisia.
- Exchange rate and fees. Both can be misleading. While high fees might accompany a seemingly competitive exchange rate, you may end up getting an unfavorable rate through a service provider that doesn’t charge fees. An easy way to decide is by comparing how much money the recipient stands to receive.
- How you can send money. Banks that offer money transfer services to Tunisia can let you do so online, over the phone or in person. You can send money in person by visiting a money transfer company’s store or kiosk. Several money transfer companies limit their operations to the online world. Some let you initiate the process over the phone as well.
- Using the same bank. If you and the recipient have accounts with the same bank, you can think about using its services to send money to Tunisia. This is because you may be able to save in fees and benefit through a quicker turnaround time.
- Processing time. If you’re sending money that the recipient will collect from a cash pickup location, the transfer can take place almost immediately. With transfers to bank accounts, while money transfer companies tend to take one to three days, banks can take longer.
- Transfer options. If you plan to send money to Tunisia on a regular basis, you should consider working with a company that lets you schedule payments. This way you don’t have to go through the entire process before each transfer. Some money transfer companies let you purchase forward contracts, which allow you to lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, or market orders, which allow you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rates are impacted by the global political and economic climate. This means the amount of money a dinar or dollar is worth fluctuates daily, so you’ll want to check your rates and make sure you’re transferring money on a good day.
What are my options for sending money to Tunisia from Hong Kong?
- Banks. If your bank allows fund transfers to Tunisian accounts, you may be able to initiate the process by visiting a branch, going online or talking over the phone. Remember that banks tend to charge fees for international money transfers. You can also consider sending a bank-issued check, draft or money order to Tunisia by mail.
- Non-banks. Money transfer companies such as Western Union and MoneyGram let you send money to Tunisia from Hong Kong, to banks accounts and to cash pickup locations. You can also use PayPal, provided you and the recipient have accounts with this service provider. You don’t have to pay any fees to open a PayPal account.
Tips for picking up cash in Tunisia
There has reportedly been an increase in instances of petty crimes such as bag snatching, pickpocketing, theft and scams in Tunisia. As a result, when you collect money from a cash pickup location, remain vigilant. Theft of valuable items from hotel rooms and vehicles is not uncommon.
You should exchange foreign currency only through banks or authorized dealers. Keep receipts for all the dinars you obtain. Because you can’t take Tunisian dinars outside of the country, you can convert a maximum of 3,000 Tunisian dinars to foreign currency before you leave Tunisia.Back to top
Ask an Expert