How to send money to Trinidad and Tobago
Compare money transfer companies to be sure you get the best deal when sending money to Trinidad and Tobago.
If you’re looking to send money to either island of Trinidad and Tobago, it might be hard to find out how to get the most out of your dollar. By comparing money transfer companies, you can be sure that the exchange rate you receive will help a friend or family member living overseas get the largest amount of TTD per HKD sent.
Compare international money transfers
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Trinidad and Tobago with our money transfer partners.
Sending money to Trinidad and Tobago
When sending money to Trinidad and Tobago, you’ll usually need to create a free account with a money transfer provider. The process varies by company, but generally requires you to provide your name, contact information and proof of identity. If you’re not paying for your transaction with cash, you’ll also provide your banking info in order to have the funds withdrawn from your account.
Once you’ve selected a payment option and entered the full details of your transfer, you’ll make your transaction and wait for the funds to be delivered. You’ll most likely receive a reference number or receipt that you can use to track the progress of your transfer.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to friends, family and businesses overseas. Generally, it involves you sending cash or money from your bank account to an intermediary transfer service or bank, which then exchanges and sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Trinidad and Tobago.
Depending on the provider, you can initiate a money transfer in person, online or by phone. Your cash or bank account transfer is then either deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available as cash for pickup at a location in their country.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
Some major Hong Kong banks offer the option to send funds to Trinidad and Tobago, but they typically charge high transfer fees and offer exchange rates that are significantly lower than the mid-market rate — or the rate banks and transfer providers use when trading among themselves.
A reputable money transfer specialist can offer better exchange rates and also charge lower fees, saving you money and putting more Trinidad and Tobago dollars into your recipient’s pocket.
Steps to sending money to Trinidad and Tobago
Sending money to Trinidad and Tobago can be quite easy. Follow these steps to keep the process simple and pain-free.
- Choose a money transfer service from our comparison table above.
- Compare the exchange rates, fees and delivery speeds.
- Click the Go to Site link to register with the provider.
- Fill out the form with your and your recipient’s personal information.
- Save your tracking number and receipt to make sure your transfer goes smoothly.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Trinidad and Tobago
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Transfer speed. If it needs to get there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer service. Most companies offer customer service by internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explainedFinding the best exchange rate relies on looking at global trends. When compared to money from Hong Kong, a Trinidad and Tobago Dollar (TTD) may be worth more or less depending on the time of year, economy of both countries and the political climate around the world.
What are the ways that I can send money to Trinidad and Tobago?
- Bank transfers. Some major Hong Kong banks will allow you to wire money to banks in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to Trinidad and Tobago from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of sending funds that can be picked up from agent locations across Trinidad and Tobago.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Hong Kong to Trinidad and Tobago.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or the postal service.
Quick cash transfers to Trinidad and Tobago
If you need to send money quickly between Hong Kong and Trinidad and Tobago, many money transfer services will allow quick delivery of cash, but it comes at a cost. The rates won’t be as good between HKD and TTD, and you’ll likely find yourself having to pay a steep fee. These transfers can often be done on the same day as the request, but you should review the exchange rates and fees to see if this is the best option for you. If your friend or family can wait, you’ll both be able to save money.
What to do if you’re picking up cash in Trinidad and Tobago
Whether you go through a bank or a money transfer service, you will likely be able to pick up cash at the transfer location. However, it can be dangerous to carry around large amounts of cash, so follow these steps to lower the risk.
- Make sure you have the transaction reference number and a photo ID.
- If you can, bring a friend to accompany you.
- Put away your cash before leaving the building, preferably in a secure location on your person.
- Go immediately to your home or rented space and deposit the cash somewhere safe.
- Never take out large amounts of money in public as this can make you a target.
This should help prevent you from becoming a target for thieves. Always be aware of your surroundings and make sure you’re using discretion when carrying around any amount of cash.Back to top
Read more on this topic
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
How to send money to Slovenia How to send money to Slovenia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert