Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Tonga
Find out about safe, secure and cost-effective transfer options when you need to send money to Tonga.
Compare money transfer services to Tonga
Should you use a bank or money transfer company?
Most Hong Kong banks will send an international money transfer for you, but it won’t be cheap. You can expect high fees and poor exchange rates when you send money via your bank.
Money transfer companies specialise in this type of transaction and provide much better exchange rates for lower fees than your bank. They offer secure transfers and large worldwide networks, meaning you can get more value for money when you send money to Tonga – or anywhere else in the world.
What to look at when comparing money transfer companies
- Exchange rates. Even though some differences in exchange rates may seem minor, they can end up costing you a lot once you calculate how much money your beneficiary will receive.
- Fees. You should always check the transfer fees charged by each company and find out whether they vary depending on factors like transfer amount, method and destination.
- Transfer methods. How can you place a transfer with each company? Is this a convenient transfer method for you?
- Transfer options. Can you only place one-time orders or are there other options to help make your transfer experience more affordable and convenient?
- Turnaround time. Some companies offer instant transfers while others take several days.
- Minimum limit. Check to see whether each company imposes minimum or maximum limits on transfers.
- Pick-up methods. Some companies offer a cash pick-up option while others only offer bank deposits.
- Customer service. Check to see what support options are available in case you ever need help.
How to get the best exchange rateDepending on the international financial climate, exchange rates between the Hong Kong dollar (HKD) and Tongan pa’anga (TOP) will vary. Day to day changes should be expected, and you can check out graphs and charts to see the historic rates to predict when it’s best to send money from Hong Kong to Tonga.
Options for sending money to Tonga from Hong Kong
- Bank transfers. Transfers between banks are secure but not all that cost effective.
- Online money transfer providers. These companies offer a more affordable option than the banks.
- Money transfer companies with cash pick-up options. Western Union and MoneyGram offer agent locations in Tonga.
- Cheques. Check with your bank to find out how to send an international cheque.
How to send money to Tonga
Sending money to Tonga isn’t difficult. Just follow these steps and your dollar will be pa’anga in no time.
- Choose a transfer provider that sends money to Tonga.
- Provide your contact information, email address and phone number.
- Supply your recipient’s contact information.
- Choose the amount of your transfer and complete the transaction. Save any reference or receipt number to track the progress of your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Tonga
You’ve just had a call from a panicked relative in Tonga who needs cash fast. Don’t worry, you shouldn’t have any trouble sending a rapid transfer to Tonga, but you will have to pay a premium for the quick service. Often, transfer companies will charge high fees and offer worse exchange rates when doing a last-minute transfer, so you should check the fine print to see how much the transfer will cost you before you commit.
Tips for picking up cash in Tonga
- Only pick up cash from a transfer agent in a safe area.
- Keep your wallet in a safe place at all times.
- Never leave your bag or wallet unattended in a public place.
- Don’t advertise your cash in front of strangers.
- Don’t carry around large amounts of cash in public unless absolutely necessary.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
What is Bytecoin (BCN)?
Bytecoin has grown to become a truly anonymous alternative to bitcoin.
BigONE exchange review
A comprehensive review of the BigONE cryptocurrency exchange, including its features, fees and any potential drawbacks.
IDEX cryptocurrency exchange review
If you’re looking for a secure, decentralised exchange where you can trade a huge range of Ethereum ERC20 tokens, check out our review of IDEX.
Get bitcoin with a credit card at xCoins – January 2021 review
xCoins connects borrowers and lenders of bitcoin through an instant peer-to-peer lending platform.
DDEX cryptocurrency exchange – January 2021 review
If you want to know more about the features, fees and pros and cons of the DDEX cryptocurrency exchange, check out this comprehensive review.
LocalMonero cryptocurrency exchange – January 2021 review
LocalMonero is a global peer-to-peer marketplace where users can buy and sell Monero (XMR) using their local currency. Find out how the platform works in this detailed guide.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
The straightforward guide to bitcoin’s Lightning Network
How the Lightning Network works, what makes it so fast and cheap, and what it might mean for cryptocurrency.
Ask an Expert