Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to send money to Tonga
Find out about safe, secure and cost-effective transfer options when you need to send money to Tonga.
Compare money transfer services to Tonga
Should you use a bank or money transfer company?
Most Hong Kong banks will send an international money transfer for you, but it won’t be cheap. You can expect high fees and poor exchange rates when you send money via your bank.
Money transfer companies specialise in this type of transaction and provide much better exchange rates for lower fees than your bank. They offer secure transfers and large worldwide networks, meaning you can get more value for money when you send money to Tonga – or anywhere else in the world.
What to look at when comparing money transfer companies
- Exchange rates. Even though some differences in exchange rates may seem minor, they can end up costing you a lot once you calculate how much money your beneficiary will receive.
- Fees. You should always check the transfer fees charged by each company and find out whether they vary depending on factors like transfer amount, method and destination.
- Transfer methods. How can you place a transfer with each company? Is this a convenient transfer method for you?
- Transfer options. Can you only place one-time orders or are there other options to help make your transfer experience more affordable and convenient?
- Turnaround time. Some companies offer instant transfers while others take several days.
- Minimum limit. Check to see whether each company imposes minimum or maximum limits on transfers.
- Pick-up methods. Some companies offer a cash pick-up option while others only offer bank deposits.
- Customer service. Check to see what support options are available in case you ever need help.
How to get the best exchange rateDepending on the international financial climate, exchange rates between the Hong Kong dollar (HKD) and Tongan pa’anga (TOP) will vary. Day to day changes should be expected, and you can check out graphs and charts to see the historic rates to predict when it’s best to send money from Hong Kong to Tonga.
Options for sending money to Tonga from Hong Kong
- Bank transfers. Transfers between banks are secure but not all that cost effective.
- Online money transfer providers. These companies offer a more affordable option than the banks.
- Money transfer companies with cash pick-up options. Western Union and MoneyGram offer agent locations in Tonga.
- Cheques. Check with your bank to find out how to send an international cheque.
How to send money to Tonga
Sending money to Tonga isn’t difficult. Just follow these steps and your dollar will be pa’anga in no time.
- Choose a transfer provider that sends money to Tonga.
- Provide your contact information, email address and phone number.
- Supply your recipient’s contact information.
- Choose the amount of your transfer and complete the transaction. Save any reference or receipt number to track the progress of your transfer.
Emergency cash transfers in Tonga
You’ve just had a call from a panicked relative in Tonga who needs cash fast. Don’t worry, you shouldn’t have any trouble sending a rapid transfer to Tonga, but you will have to pay a premium for the quick service. Often, transfer companies will charge high fees and offer worse exchange rates when doing a last-minute transfer, so you should check the fine print to see how much the transfer will cost you before you commit.
Tips for picking up cash in Tonga
- Only pick up cash from a transfer agent in a safe area.
- Keep your wallet in a safe place at all times.
- Never leave your bag or wallet unattended in a public place.
- Don’t advertise your cash in front of strangers.
- Don’t carry around large amounts of cash in public unless absolutely necessary.
Ask an Expert