Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Timor-Leste
Here's how you can send affordable money transfers from Hong Kong to Timor-Leste.
Sending money from Hong Kong to Timor-Leste doesn’t have to be a difficult process.
On this page, you can compare the rates between transfer companies and learn how to pick up cash with ease.
Compare money transfer companies to Timor-Leste
How do I send money to Timor-Leste?
There are currently only a few providers that offer money transfers to Timor-Leste, and none allow funds to be transferred directly into the recipient’s bank account. The money will have to be picked up at a physical location.
Both MoneyGram and Western Union provide transfers to Timor-Lest. MoneyGram allows you to do so online, but Western Union requires you to send money in-person at a storefront.Back to top
What’s the difference between transfer companies?
When you’re sending money to Timor-Leste, be sure you compare the transfer services of each company to be sure you’re getting the best rates.
- Transfer fees. It pays to check how much you’ll have to pay per transaction before signing up for an account with a transfer provider.
- Transfer methods. Every company differs in the ways it allows you to send money. If it matters to you, check if they do transfers online, over the phone, via a mobile app and/or by visiting a branch.
- Flexible options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later (a forward contract)? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Turnaround time. Check to see how long the company will take to deliver the money to the recipient. Processing times vary from a few minutes to five business days or more.
- Transfer limits. Some companies impose minimum and maximum transaction limits, so check to see if these limits will affect you.
- Customer service. Are phone, email and live online chat available? How quickly will the customer support team answer any questions you have?
What’s a same currency transfer?The process of sending money to Timor-Leste is much simpler than with other countries because the national currency is the USD.
What are my options for sending money to Timor-Leste from Hong Kong?
- Specialist transfer companies. Dedicated online transfer companies provide fast and cost-effective international transactions.
- Cash pickup transfer providers. Search online to see if a cash pickup transfer company has convenient locations in Timor-Leste for your recipient.
- Bank transfers. Ask for a quote from your bank so you can get an idea of the exchange rate you will receive and the fee you will have to pay to send money to Timor-Leste.
- International guaranteed checks. Another option, although a little time-consuming, is to obtain an international check from your bank and mail it to your recipient overseas.Back to top
How do I send money to Timor-Leste?
The transfer method you must follow will vary depending on the transfer provider you choose, but you will generally need to:
- Find a transfer service. Before you settle on a transfer service, be sure to compare your options based on how fast you need to send the money and how much it will cost you.
- Sign up for an account. Click the Go to Site button and create an account with the company.This is usually free to do, but you’ll need to supply your name, contact details and ID.
- Provide your transaction details. You’ll need to specify where you are sending the money, how much you are sending and who will be receiving the funds.
- Complete your transfer. You can then submit your transfer after reviewing the exchange rate you will receive and the transaction fee you will need to pay.
- Track your progress. Most providers will then give you a reference number that you can use to track the progress of your funds.
Quick cash transfers to Timor-Leste
If you need to quickly send a cash transfer to Timor-Leste, be prepared to pay more than you would for a normal transaction. Higher transfer fees and lower exchange rates are par for the course with quick transfers, so it’s always a good idea to review the transaction details before you send any money.
Tips for picking up cash in Timor-Leste
It is recommended to exercise a high degree of caution, so take care when collecting cash from a transfer agent. Confirm the agent’s location in an area you know to be safe and opening hours before visiting. Take a friend along rather than going up by yourself, and make sure not to display your cash in public, which can make you an easy target for thieves.Back to top
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
LocalMonero cryptocurrency exchange – January 2021 review
LocalMonero is a global peer-to-peer marketplace where users can buy and sell Monero (XMR) using their local currency. Find out how the platform works in this detailed guide.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
A complete guide to bitcoin forks
A complete beginner’s guide to bitcoin and other cryptocurrency forks, and what you need to know about them.
How to buy, sell and trade Pundi X
Read our guide to cryptocurrency point-of-sale payment provider Pundi X, its NPXS tokens and how to buy NPXS in Hong Kong.
How to earn passive income with cryptocurrency
It’s possible to make money from cryptocurrency without just buying low and selling high. Here’s how.
Cryptocurrency exchange fees
Check out this comprehensive guide to the deposit, withdrawal and trading fees charged by crypto exchanges.
What is an initial coin offering (ICO) and how does it work?
ICOs provide a way for investors to buy into a new cryptocurrency. But before buying you need to know how to spot the scams and bad investments.
HKD to NGN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Hong Kong Dollar to Nigeria Naira. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to NGN.
HKD to EGP Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Hong Kong Dollar to Egyptian Pound. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to EGP.
Ask an Expert