Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Sweden
Find the lowest fees and best exchange rates so you can send money to Sweden without breaking the bank.
Updated . What changed?
If you need to get money to someone in Sweden, take your time to search for the best exchange rates and the lowest fees. By doing this, you could get more krona to your recipient and save some money for yourself. And since there are plenty of options out there, you have the ability to make a choice that gets you the best deal.
Compare international money transfers to Sweden
What's in this guide?
- Compare international money transfers to Sweden
- What's the best way to send money to Sweden?
- How to send money to Sweden online
- What are the ways that I can send money to Sweden
- How to get the most out of your money transfer to Sweden
- Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Sweden
- What to watch out for
- Bottom line
What’s the best way to send money to Sweden?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Sweden. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Sending money through PayPal or your bank is also an option, but you’ll typically face higher fees and weaker exchange rates when going that route.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like WorldRemit and OFX specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient’s Swedish bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram, WorldRemit and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Sweden— often in 15 minutes. While it’s a fast way to send money, you’ll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
The Swedish krona is a fairly popular currency, so your local bank may be able to exchange it. If your bank does support the Swedish krona, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options when sending a wire transfer to Sweden.
How to send money to Sweden online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient’s contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you’ll need their Swedish bank account information.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt’s confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Sweden. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
What are the ways that I can send money to Sweden
- Bank transfers. Many major HK banks will allow you to send money to Sweden.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like TransferWise and OFX can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union, WorldRemit and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from HK to Sweden.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international cheque overseas, obtained from your bank or HK Post.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $10,000 to Sweden
Let’s say you need to send $4,800 to family in Sweden. Here’s what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of 14 Dec, 2020.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||55.52 HKD||8.00 HKD||$65+ additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1.00 HKD = 1.08685 SEK||1.00 HKD = 1.0804 SEK||1 HKD = 0.935 SEK|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes||2-5 days|
|Amount received||10,808.16 SEK||10,795.10 SEK||9,289.225 SEK|
The bank option ends up being both the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Sweden. If you avoid the bank you can save 1,505.9 SEK, and a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Sweden in as little as 15 minutes. Just make sure there is a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Sweden
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Sweden to best meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The HKD-SEK relationship fluctuates occasionally, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Swedish krona rises against the HK dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger USD-HKD exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of krona you’re sending to Sweden.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Sweden.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you’re sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Swedish bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer to Sweden
When urgency trumps cost to get your money to Sweden quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Sweden without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you don’t have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Sweden’s exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another country’s currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Sweden’s exchange rate is relatively stable compared to the HK dollar, and the HKD-SEK relationship typically doesn’t change often. Factors that may influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Sweden
To send money to Sweden from HK, you’ll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Sweden may differ by company.
Documents to send money from Hong Kong
To send money from Hong Kong to Sweden, you’ll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver’s license, passport or other government-issued ID.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient’s name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number and Swedish bank account information.
Documents to receive money in Sweden
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer’s confirmation details — called a PIN, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Swedish Passport, Swedish ID or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender’s information. Take along your sender’s full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
Sending money to Sweden may be subject to taxes on the money transfer, but it depends on a lot of variables. Be sure you check regulations in Sweden to avoid penalties.
Sending your hard-earned money to Sweden shouldn’t cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
LocalMonero cryptocurrency exchange – January 2021 review
LocalMonero is a global peer-to-peer marketplace where users can buy and sell Monero (XMR) using their local currency. Find out how the platform works in this detailed guide.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
What is Ethereum’s Casper update? Everything you need to know
Read our ultimate guide to the Ethereum Casper update, how it works and how it will change the Ethereum network.
How to buy, sell and trade Pundi X
Read our guide to cryptocurrency point-of-sale payment provider Pundi X, its NPXS tokens and how to buy NPXS in Hong Kong.
How to earn passive income with cryptocurrency
It’s possible to make money from cryptocurrency without just buying low and selling high. Here’s how.
HitBTC exchange – January 2021 review
If you’re considering buying and selling crypto on HitBTC, a well-known exchange that supports more than 300 digital currencies, read this review first.
Cryptocurrency exchange fees
Check out this comprehensive guide to the deposit, withdrawal and trading fees charged by crypto exchanges.
A to Z: The Ultimate Cryptocurrency Glossary
From bitcoin to Shitcoin, every term you will come across on your cryptocurrency journey can be found in finder’s A to Z: Ultimate Cryptocurrency Glossary.
Ask an Expert