How to send money to South Korea
Find out about safe, secure and cost-effective transfer options when you need to send money to South Korea.
Whether investing in high-tech Seoul or helping a family member visit a UN-designated cultural heritage site, sending money to South Korea shouldn’t be a headache or huge expense.
Compare several transfer providers to find the one that fits your needs, and you can get funds to friends, family members or colleagues in South Korea easily.
Compare money transfer services to South Korea
Use the table below to see what your transfer could look like at different companies. Although the value is in USD, all these providers send to South Korea.
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, South Korea.
This can be done in person or online. You can use cash or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
How do exchange rates work?The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency.
South Korea’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Banks versus money transfer companies
The first place many people go when they need to send an international money transfer is to their bank. While banks can certainly send money overseas for you, their fees are often higher compared to companies that specialise in international money transfers.
These money transfer companies focus on international transactions and can offer much better exchange rates than most banks. This means that you save money, and your recipient ends up with more South Korean won in their pocket.
How to compare transfer companies when sending money to South Korea
- Exchange rates. How do each company’s exchange rates compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay every time you send a transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule reoccurring payments, or does the company only provide one-off spot orders?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company, and will this affect the size of your transfers?
- Pick-up methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
- Customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you receive assistance?
What are my options for sending money to South Korea from Hong Kong?
- Bank transfers. Bank-to-bank transfers may cost more than other options but they are a secure way to send money to South Korea.
- Online money transfer providers. A reliable online money transfer company can offer fast and cost-effective transactions.
- Money transfer companies with cash pick-up options. MoneyGram and Western Union are the world’s two largest providers of this service.
- PayPal. PayPal offers secure international money transfers to South Korea and many other destinations around the world.
- Cheques. International cheques can be obtained from Hong Kong banks and then sent overseas.
How to send money to South Korea
- Choose a provider that fits your needs for sending money to South Korea.
- Provide your name, address, contact information and any required documentation.
- Provide your recipient’s name, address and information, along with their bank account info if you’re sending a bank transfer.
- Select the amount to transfer and complete your transaction.
- Make a note of a tracking number you may receive so you can monitor the progress of your money transfer.
Same-day cash transfers in South Korea
There are certain situations when you might need to send a transfer as quickly as possible. When you do need to send an emergency transfer, remember that you will usually have to pay extra in order to get your funds to your beneficiary ASAP. Make sure to check the exchange rate and fees that apply so you know exactly how much it will cost.
Tips for picking up cash in South Korea
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in South Korea? Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Cash pick-up locations in South Korea
Read more on this topic
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
How to send money to Slovenia How to send money to Slovenia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert