How to send money to Senegal
How to find a quick and cost-effective way to send money to Senegal from Hong Kong.
Sending money to Senegal can be a bit complex. Since the West African CFA franc isn’t a widely-traded currency, not many providers will be able to convert Hong Kong dollars to CFA. But that doesn’t mean you’re out of luck. By doing your research, you can find ways to send money to a recipient in Senegal without paying too high a fee.
Compare money transfer services to Senegal
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is used to determine how much one currency is worth when converted to the currency of a different country. When you’re sending money to Senegal from Hong Kong, though, the rate can fluctuate because of the differences between the dollar and the euro. Some recommend exchanging your dollars into euros first and then converting those euros into West African CFA francs. This can make the math a little easier, and it may also make it easier for your recipient to receive euros that can then be converted as needed.
What are my options for sending money to Senegal from Hong Kong?
- Banks. Find out if your bank lets you send money to Senegal. If it does, there’s a good chance you’ll have to pay a fee to use its services. You can also think about sending a bank issued check, money order or draft via mail.
- Non-banks. Non-banking institutions such as Western Union and MoneyGram let you send money to cash pickup locations in Senegal. You can also find international money transfer companies that let you send money directly into Senegalese bank accounts. PayPal allows transfers to Senegal from Hong Kong, so you can use its services as well. In this case, both you and the recipient should have PayPal accounts.
How to send money to Senegal through an independent transfer provider
- Choose a provider from the table. Since there are limited options for XOF, choosing EUR may be a good second choice.
- Create an account with the provider.
- Start a transaction. Supply your recipient’s information and the amount you want transfered.
- Pay for your transfer and keep your tracking number handy in case you want to follow the progress of your transfer.
Emergency transfers in Senegal
Because there aren’t many options for HKD-XOF transfers, making an emergency transfer to Senegal may be difficult. You’ll have to find a provider that does same-day transfers, and then you’ll likely be charged a high fee on top of a poor exchange rate. If your recipient can wait, it will likely save you both money by giving the transfer a few days to process.
Tips for picking up cash in Senegal
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in Senegal? Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Making a money transfer to a small country like Senegal doesn’t leave you with many options, but you should still take the time to compare your options and find a money transfer company that won’t charge you high fees or offer a subpar rate. And if you want to learn more about the process, you can read our guide on money transfers to familiarize yourself before deciding on a provider.
Read more on this topic
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
How to send money to Slovenia How to send money to Slovenia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert