How to send money to Senegal
How to find a quick and cost-effective way to send money to Senegal from Hong Kong.
Sending money to Senegal can be a bit complex. Since the West African CFA franc isn’t a widely-traded currency, not many providers will be able to convert Hong Kong dollars to CFA. But that doesn’t mean you’re out of luck. By doing your research, you can find ways to send money to a recipient in Senegal without paying too high a fee.
Compare money transfer services to Senegal
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is used to determine how much one currency is worth when converted to the currency of a different country. When you’re sending money to Senegal from Hong Kong, though, the rate can fluctuate because of the differences between the dollar and the euro. Some recommend exchanging your dollars into euros first and then converting those euros into West African CFA francs. This can make the math a little easier, and it may also make it easier for your recipient to receive euros that can then be converted as needed.
What are my options for sending money to Senegal from Hong Kong?
- Banks. Find out if your bank lets you send money to Senegal. If it does, there’s a good chance you’ll have to pay a fee to use its services. You can also think about sending a bank issued check, money order or draft via mail.
- Non-banks. Non-banking institutions such as Western Union and MoneyGram let you send money to cash pickup locations in Senegal. You can also find international money transfer companies that let you send money directly into Senegalese bank accounts. PayPal allows transfers to Senegal from Hong Kong, so you can use its services as well. In this case, both you and the recipient should have PayPal accounts.
How to send money to Senegal through an independent transfer provider
- Choose a provider from the table. Since there are limited options for XOF, choosing EUR may be a good second choice.
- Create an account with the provider.
- Start a transaction. Supply your recipient’s information and the amount you want transfered.
- Pay for your transfer and keep your tracking number handy in case you want to follow the progress of your transfer.
Emergency transfers in Senegal
Because there aren’t many options for HKD-XOF transfers, making an emergency transfer to Senegal may be difficult. You’ll have to find a provider that does same-day transfers, and then you’ll likely be charged a high fee on top of a poor exchange rate. If your recipient can wait, it will likely save you both money by giving the transfer a few days to process.
Tips for picking up cash in Senegal
Picking up cash from a transfer agent in Senegal? Follow a few simple steps to ensure that you and your money stay safe:
- Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem.
- Keep your wallet and/or bag safe and secure at all times.
- Take a friend along to provide additional security and peace of mind.
- Don’t flash your cash around in public.
- Don’t carry large sums of money around for any longer than is absolutely necessary.
Making a money transfer to a small country like Senegal doesn’t leave you with many options, but you should still take the time to compare your options and find a money transfer company that won’t charge you high fees or offer a subpar rate. And if you want to learn more about the process, you can read our guide on money transfers to familiarize yourself before deciding on a provider.
Ask an Expert