Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Oman
Here’s how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to Oman.
Updated . What changed?
When you’re looking to send money to someone in Oman, you have more options than you might think to convert your Hong Kong dollars to Omani rials. From banks to dedicated money transfer companies, you can get the most per dollar by comparing rates and knowing the fees you may be charged.
Compare money transfer services to Oman
What’s the best way to send money to Oman?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Oman. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts.
Can I send money to Oman through PayPal?
Yes, PayPal supports accounts in Oman for buying, selling and sending money. Beware of higher transfer fees and poor exchange rates if using PayPal to send money to Oman from the United States. Read our PayPal review to learn how to get started.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like OFX specialise in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient’s Oman bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Oman — often in 15 minutes. While it’s a fast way to send money, you’ll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees. Western Union also operates in Oman, but always double-check Western Union‘s prices when sending to Oman to make sure you aren’t paying too much in fees.
Oman rials are not a popular currency, so your local bank may not be able to exchange them. If your bank supports Oman rials, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options when sending a wire transfer to Oman.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $10,000 to Oman
Let’s say you need to send $10,000 to family in Oman. Here’s what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of 2 Jan, 2021.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||8.00 HKD||30.00 HKD||65.00 HKD + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1.00 HKD = 0.0492 OMR||1.00 HKD = 0.0490 OMR||1.00 HKD = 0.046 OMR|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes||2-5 days|
|Amount received||491.28 OMR||488.66 OMR||443.00 OMR|
The bank option ends up being both the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Oman. If you go with the digital money transfer service or cash transfer service, your recipient ends up with 48.28 OMR more than the bank offers.
How to send money to Oman online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient’s contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you’ll need their Oman bank account details.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt’s confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Oman. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Oman
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Oman to best meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The HKD-OMR relationship doesn’t fluctuate often, but using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Oman rial rises against HK dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger HKD-OMR exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of pesos you’re sending to Oman.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Oman.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you’re sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to an Oman bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer
When urgency trumps cost to get your money to Oman quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Oman without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you don’t have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Oman’s exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another country’s currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Oman’s exchange rate is fairly fixed compared to the HK dollar. Because of this, the HKD-OMR relationship typically remains relatively stable. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Oman
To send money to Oman from Hong Kong, you’ll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Oman may be different by company.
Documents to send money from Hong Kong
To send money from Hong Kong to Oman, you’ll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver’s license, passport or other government-issued ID.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient’s name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number and Oman bank account information.
Documents to receive money in Oman
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer’s confirmation details — called a PIN, a MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Oman Passport, Oman ID or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer..
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender’s information. Take along your sender’s full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
Sending your hard-earned money to Oman shouldn’t cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
What is Siacoin? Understanding the Sia platform
Delivering the power of the blockchain to cloud hosting, Sia is a peer-to-peer solution for data storage.
Gate.io cryptocurrency exchange – March 2021 review
What are the pros, cons and headlining features of the Gate.io cryptocurrency exchange? Find out in this comprehensive review.
Bibox exchange – review
Read our comprehensive review of the Bibox cryptocurrency exchange, including the currencies you can buy and sell, security features and trading fees.
IDEX cryptocurrency exchange review
If you’re looking for a secure, decentralised exchange where you can trade a huge range of Ethereum ERC20 tokens, check out our review of IDEX.
Get bitcoin with a credit card at xCoins – March 2021 review
xCoins connects borrowers and lenders of bitcoin through an instant peer-to-peer lending platform.
Livecoin cryptocurrency exchange – review March 2021
A comprehensive review of cryptocurrency exchange Livecoin, its fees and features, and how you can start trading on the platform.
TradeSatoshi exchange – March 2021 review
What features does the TradeSatoshi crypto exchange offer, what fees does it charge and how good is its customer service? Find out in this comprehensive review.
DDEX cryptocurrency exchange – March 2021 review
If you want to know more about the features, fees and pros and cons of the DDEX cryptocurrency exchange, check out this comprehensive review.
Ask an Expert