Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Mozambique
Need to send money to Mozambique? Here are your best choices for money transfer services.
Finding a bank that can convert your dollars to Mozambican metical can be difficult, but it’s not your only option. There are many ways, including dedicated money transfer companies, you can use to wire money to your recipient in Mozambique. Before you get started, compare the transfer fees and exchange rates of the many options available to you so you can get the best deal.
Steps to send money to Mozambique
- Compare the money transfer providers in our table below.
- Click Go to Site when you’ve made your decision.
- Register with the provider and start a new transaction.
- Supply your recipient’s information.
- Pay for your transaction and save your tracking number.
- Confirm that your recipient has received the transfer.
Compare money transfer services to Mozambique
Use our interactive table to compare transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Mozambique with our money transfer partners.
How do I compare my options when sending money to Mozambique?
- Exchange rates. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Transfer speed. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you’ve more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Customer service. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
How can I send money to Mozambique from Hong Kong?
- Bank transfers. Your major Hong Kong banks may allow you to wire money to banks in Mozambique.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to Mozambique from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pickup. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of cash pickups from thousands of agent locations across Mozambique.
- M-Pesa. M-Pesa is a safe, secure way to send, receive and store money through your mobile phone or an app. Top up your account at one of more than 287,000 agent locations and then send money to loved ones, who can visit an agent to withdraw their funds.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Hong Kong to Mozambique.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or postal service.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate is used to determine how much one currency is worth when exchanged for another.Keep in mind that exchange rates fluctuate daily. If you aren’t getting a good exchange rate one day and your recipient can wait, see what the market looks like in a few days so you can find the best deal.
Emergency cash transfers to Mozambique
Although emergency transfers may be possible, especially if a friend or family member is in a pinch, this will generally be your worst option. This is because you’ll have to pay extra money in fees for the quick speed, and your transfer provider won’t offer the best exchange rate. If your recipient can wait even a day, you may be able to avoid these extra fees and a poor exchange rate when sending money to Mozambique.
Tips for picking up cash in Mozambique
When picking up cash in Mozambique, remain cautious. Carrying large amounts of money around can be dangerous wherever you go, so keep an eye out and make sure you and your belongings are safe when moving cash from one place to another. Here are a few simple precautions you can take to prevent yourself from becoming a target:
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
What is Siacoin? Understanding the Sia platform
Delivering the power of the blockchain to cloud hosting, Sia is a peer-to-peer solution for data storage.
Gate.io cryptocurrency exchange – January 2021 review
What are the pros, cons and headlining features of the Gate.io cryptocurrency exchange? Find out in this comprehensive review.
Bibox exchange – review
Read our comprehensive review of the Bibox cryptocurrency exchange, including the currencies you can buy and sell, security features and trading fees.
BigONE exchange review
A comprehensive review of the BigONE cryptocurrency exchange, including its features, fees and any potential drawbacks.
IDEX cryptocurrency exchange review
If you’re looking for a secure, decentralised exchange where you can trade a huge range of Ethereum ERC20 tokens, check out our review of IDEX.
Get bitcoin with a credit card at xCoins – January 2021 review
xCoins connects borrowers and lenders of bitcoin through an instant peer-to-peer lending platform.
Livecoin cryptocurrency exchange – review January 2021
A comprehensive review of cryptocurrency exchange Livecoin, its fees and features, and how you can start trading on the platform.
TradeSatoshi exchange – January 2021 review
What features does the TradeSatoshi crypto exchange offer, what fees does it charge and how good is its customer service? Find out in this comprehensive review.
Ask an Expert