How to send money to Malta
Send money to Malta using an international money transfer service and you could beat the bank’s rates.
Converting your dollars to euros doesn’t have to be difficult. When you’re sending money to Malta, you don’t have to rely on the bank’s rates. Our guide will show you your other options, helping you make the best decision for you when you need to make an international money transfer from Hong Kong to Malta.
Compare money transfer services to Malta
Select your currency and transfer amount, and compare the fees, rates and transfer times of different providers.
How do international money transfers work?
When you need to send money to a recipient overseas, an international money transfer will allow you to convert your funds to the appropriate currency and have it deposited in your recipient’s bank account or leave it available to be picked up as cash.
Money transfer companies generally charge a small fee for their services. You’ll be able to complete most transfers in a variety of ways: over the phone, online or in-person.
Banks versus money transfer companies
Although banks are useful for a large variety of financial needs, they usually aren’t the best choice for international money transfers. This is because their fees are much higher than that of a money transfer company, and they generally won’t have an optimal exchange rate for customers.
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Malta?
- Exchange rates. How do each company’s exchange rates compare to the competition?
- Fees. How much will you have to pay to send the transfer? Can you avoid a transfer fee if you send a larger amount?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch and/or by using a mobile app?
- Customer service. What sort of customer support is offered and during what hours can you and your recipient get assistance?
- Transfer options. Does the company give you the option to lock in your exchange rate now or take advantage of changing market conditions? Will you be able to schedule reoccurring payments?
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company, and will this affect the size of your transfer?
- Pickup methods. Can your beneficiary pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account?
Foreign exchange rates explained
An exchange rate determines the value of one currency when it is exchanged for the currency in another country. The exact rate will fluctuate from day to day depending on the global economy. This is because the euro is stronger than the Hong Kong dollar, meaning it will yield less when converted.
What are my options for sending money to Malta from Hong Kong?
- Bank transfers. Most major banks in Hong Kong offer wire transfers to Malta.
- Money transfer providers. Online providers like TransferWise and WorldRemit can help you transfer money quickly and easily.
- Transfer companies with cash pickup. Providers like Western Union and MoneyGram allow your recipient to pick up cash at one of their many global locations.
- PayPal. If you don’t need your money converted, transferring money to your recipient’s PayPal is a quick and painless process.
Are money transfers safe?
When processed through a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. When sending money internationally, protections are in place to protect you from being scammed.
How to send money to Malta
The process of sending money to Malta is relatively simple. Once you choose a money transfer company that works for you, you’ll likely have to complete these steps:
- Register with the provider
- Enter your information
- Enter your recipient’s information
- Pay for you transfer
- Save the tracking number
- Confirm the transfer has been completed
Tips for picking up cash in Malta
Whether you’re picking up cash in Malta or any other country, take a safety-first approach. Use common sense, such as keeping your cash hidden and depositing it with your bank as soon as possible. Taking a friend along with you to collect funds is also a good idea.
Read more on this topic
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
How to send money to Slovenia How to send money to Slovenia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert