How to send money to the Maldives
Wondering how to send money to the Maldives from Hong Kong? Here’s the information you need.
Compare international money transfers to the Maldives
You may struggle to find a provider that will send rufiyaas from Hong Kong. Your best bet may be to make a same currency transfer in Hong Kong Dollars, then convert your money with a local currency exchange after receiving it.
How do international money transfers work?
International money transfers allow you to convert currencies and send money to someone overseas. The average transfer process involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider. It will then sends the money to your recipient in the Maldives.
Most transfers can be done in-person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can pay with cash, card or a direct debit from your bank account. The transfer will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account, mobile wallet or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.
What are my options for transferring money to the Maldives?
Money transfer services
Few money transfer providers send money to the Maldives. MoneyGram and Western Union are two reliable services that are able to convert Hong Kong dollars to rufiyaas. Both companies have years of experience in international money transfers and allow for various methods of sending money quickly.
Hong Kong dollars in the Maldives
If you’re struggling to find a provider that will send rufiyaas, consider transferring Hong Kong dollars.Back to top
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to the Maldives?
- Exchange rates. Look for an exchange rate that’s close to market average when making an exchange. Exchange rates are set by the transfer provider, but vary day-to-day and between providers.
- Pickup methods. Can your recipient pick up the cash from their nearest transfer agent, or will the funds be deposited into their bank account? Choose a method that’s more convenient for the person receiving the money.
- Fees. Due to its limited accessibility in infrastructure and geography, international money transfer companies that send money to the Maldives usually require a higher fee for their service.
- Turnaround time. Will the funds be available for your beneficiary in minutes, or will they take several working days to arrive?
- Transfer methods. Can transfers be placed online, over the phone, by visiting a branch or by using a mobile app? The convenience of these options should impact your final choice.
- Minimum transfer amount. What is the minimum transfer limit imposed by each company? Will this affect the size of your transfer?
- Customer service. Is help available when you have a question regarding a transaction? Compare the availability of customer support options and hours.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rates determine how much one country’s currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it with a weak currency. The exact amount you’ll receive when exchanging money depends on global economics, so monitoring rates will help you decide when to make a transfer.
Steps to send money to the Maldives
- Find a money transfer company from the table above.
- Visit the lender’s website when you’re ready to make a transfer.
- Create an account and begin a new transfer.
- Enter your recipient’s information and the amount you want to send.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Keep your tracking number and receipt.
Once you’ve finished your part of the transfer, wait for your recipient to confirm that they’ve received their funds. This will ensure that there were no problems during the transfer process.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in the Maldives
The Maldives is classified as a safe destination for tourists, but political unrest since 2016 has seen an increase in petty crimes and violent protests. When you’re picking up cash in the Maldives, take a safety-first approach. Keep your cash hidden and deposit it with your bank as soon as possible. Take a friend along with you to collect the funds. Don’t walk around busy areas with lots of cash, and never take out a large amount of bills in public.
Same-day money transfers in the Maldives
It is possible to make a same-day money transfer to the Maldives by using a quick money transfer service like MoneyGram. However, the exchange rate you receive will likely be worse than one you might get if your transfer took more time, and you may have to pay more fees for the fast service. When you’re facing an emergency, a same-day transfer can be beneficial as long as you know the total cost you might have to pay.
Read more on this topic
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert