Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Madagascar
Learn how to send money to Madagascar with international money transfer companies.
Sending money has become easier over the years, but this means there are even more options to choose from when you need to make a transfer to friends or family in Madagascar. You can avoid large fees and bad exchange rates by comparing international money transfer companies. Our guide will help you learn how to find one that suits your needs.
Compare money transfer services to Madagascar
How to compare different services for sending money between Madagascar and Hong Kong
- Exchange rates. The exchange rate is fairly consistent with a few volatile movements. You could consider a forwarded contract if you see a more favorable exchange rate.
- Pickup methods. Send money to physical agent locations for a cash pickup, mobile devices and bank accounts.
- Fees. Companies like OFX International will offer a solid rate with a low sending fee but the delivery of the currency can take 2 days and more depending on the recipient location.
- Bank-to-bank benefits
- Turnaround time. A quicker turnaround usually comes at a cost. The cash pickup options as explored above usually implicate a higher sending fee and in some instances a lower rate. The turnaround time with the available companies will take anywhere between ten minutes and four days.
- Transfer methods. The different transfer methods range from basic services like agent or phone, to online portals and mobile apps.
- Transfer options. You can choose between spot contracts, booked rates/forwarded contracts, recurring payments and limit orders.
- Minimum/maximum transfer amounts. For some maximum amounts, it will realize in a lower fee but will also require you to go into the branch or agent location to make the transfer.
- Customer service. Keep in mind that sending money overseas can be a stressful task if it’s a new activity for you. Customer support can make or break whether it a good or bad experience. Many of the companies listed below have a proven track record of good customer support that makes the process enjoyable.
What options do you have when sending money to Madagascar?
- Money transfer services. The available transfer companies to send money from Hong Kong to Madagascar include OFX International, Moneygram, Western Union, and Xpress Money.
- Banks. You can use Citibank to send money to Madagascar. It is advised to visit a branch to learn about current exchange rates and more about fees.
- Paypal. Paypal is available in the Madagascar market but does not support the MGA currency. The EUR and HKD are accepted occasionally and can be received for currency exchange at a local exchange bureau.
Foreign exchange rates explainedWhen you want to convert money from one currency to another, you need to know the exchange rate. This is the how much one country’s currency is worth when exchanged for the currency of a different country. A strong currency will yield more money when exchanged for a weak currency. Since the Hong Kong dollar (HKD) has traditionally been strong against the Malagasy ariary, you can expect to receive a good rate when making an exchange.
Is it possible to send money to Hong Kong from Madagascar?
- Money transfer services. You can use a money transfer service with an online portal to send money to Hong Kong from Madagascar.
- Bank accounts. Citibank accepts MGA and can receive money from Madagascar.
What steps to send money to Madagascar?
Each money transfer company has a different process, but the following steps should help you complete any forms you need to fill.
- Choose a money transfer provider from the table above.
- Click Go to Site and create an account.
- Supply your recipient’s information.
- Pay for your transfer.
- Save your tracking number and receipt.
Once your half of the transfer is complete, make sure your recipient receives their funds within the time frame supplied by the company. If they don’t, contact customer service to fix the problem.
Same-day cash transfer options to Madagascar
If your friend or family member needs a same-day cash transfer, you’ll be able to complete it through Moneygram, Western Union or Xpress Money. These companies provide quick services and have locations in both major cities of Madagascar, but keep in mind that their fees will be higher and you may not receive the best exchange rate.
Top tips for picking up cash in Madagascar
Try to avoid walking around with a passport. Call ahead to the agent location you will be visiting and check if you can take along a copy of your ID or passport instead of the original document when picking up your cash.
There are some recurring cases of theft and violence as well, so when going to pick up cash, make sure that you are in a safe and populated area. Keep the transaction as discreet as possible, and if you can, bring a friend with you to have an extra set of eyes while you travel to deposit your cash.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
What is Bytecoin (BCN)?
Bytecoin has grown to become a truly anonymous alternative to bitcoin.
What is Siacoin? Understanding the Sia platform
Delivering the power of the blockchain to cloud hosting, Sia is a peer-to-peer solution for data storage.
BigONE exchange review
A comprehensive review of the BigONE cryptocurrency exchange, including its features, fees and any potential drawbacks.
IDEX cryptocurrency exchange review
If you’re looking for a secure, decentralised exchange where you can trade a huge range of Ethereum ERC20 tokens, check out our review of IDEX.
Get bitcoin with a credit card at xCoins – March 2021 review
xCoins connects borrowers and lenders of bitcoin through an instant peer-to-peer lending platform.
Livecoin cryptocurrency exchange – review March 2021
A comprehensive review of cryptocurrency exchange Livecoin, its fees and features, and how you can start trading on the platform.
TradeSatoshi exchange – March 2021 review
What features does the TradeSatoshi crypto exchange offer, what fees does it charge and how good is its customer service? Find out in this comprehensive review.
DDEX cryptocurrency exchange – March 2021 review
If you want to know more about the features, fees and pros and cons of the DDEX cryptocurrency exchange, check out this comprehensive review.
Ask an Expert