Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Macau
We'll guide you through your international transfer for when you need to send money to Macau.
How to compare money transfer services
- Exchange rates. Nearly every provider will want to make a profit from exchange rates. The rate you’re offered won’t be exactly the going rate, but it should be close—look at the differences between different companies and find one that most closely matches the mid-market value.
- Pickup methods. Depending on what your recipient needs, you should find a provider that offers cash pickup or electronic transfers. Many do both and allow you to select your preferred option.
- Fees. Fees are fairly simple to compare, but because of the location of Macau, they are generally higher than when transferring money to other countries. Research the fees of each provider before selecting your final option.
- Bank-to-bank benefits. There aren’t any notable banks that have branches in Hong Kong and Macau for bank-to-bank transfer benefits, but Citibank does support MOP. It is advised that you visit a Citibank branch to confirm if you qualify for this feature.
- Turnaround time. Different providers have different turnaround times. If you need money sent quickly, a provider that takes only a few minutes to complete your transfer is best. If you have longer, a provider that takes two to four days will be a more affordable option.
- Payment options. Most providers have payment options that include single payments, regular payments and forwarded contracts.
- Minimum or maximum transfer amounts. When comparing, look out for limits on how much you can send per day or per week.
- Customer service. The transfer services should offer customer support by phone, email or online chat. If a provider doesn’t offer customer service, stay cautious.
How can you send and receive money between Macau and Hong Kong?
- Money transfer service. Due to Macau’s geographical location, most companies do business with China and surrounding countries. Moneygram and Western Union will send money to Macau, but only Western Union sends it in the Macanese currency.
- Banks. Citibank supports the Macanese currency and will allow you to send money to Macau, but it will require you to visit a local branch to determine costs and rates. HSBC operates in the Hong Kong area and has branches in Macau. Visit a branch to see whether a money transfer is possible.
Foreign exchange rates explainedExchange rate determines how much one currency is worth when converted to the currency of another country. A strong currency will yield more than a weak currency, though because of fluctuation in the global market, the exact amount changes daily. This can be caused by inflation, economic stability and interest rates around the world.
What steps will you need to follow to send money to Macau?
|Sending money to a bank account:|
|Sending money as a cash pickup:|
|Sending money through Moneygram or Western Union:|
Emergency cash transfers to Macau
Emergency cash transfers can be sent to Macau using Moneygram or Western Union. Both are reputable companies that transfer money within a couple of minutes. However, the speed of the transfer will impact the rate you receive and the fee you are charged, so consider this option carefully before you make your decision.
Tips for picking up cash in Macau
The Macau is located on the Eastern coast of China. Though it is classified as a relatively safe country, use caution when picking up cash from an agent location. Don’t advertise the fact that you have a wallet full of cash, and head to your bank as soon as possible to deposit your funds.Back to top
More guides on Finder
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
TradeSatoshi exchange – February 2021 review
What features does the TradeSatoshi crypto exchange offer, what fees does it charge and how good is its customer service? Find out in this comprehensive review.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
What is Ethereum’s Casper update? Everything you need to know
Read our ultimate guide to the Ethereum Casper update, how it works and how it will change the Ethereum network.
How to buy, sell and trade Pundi X
Read our guide to cryptocurrency point-of-sale payment provider Pundi X, its NPXS tokens and how to buy NPXS in Hong Kong.
Ledger Blue cryptocurrency wallet review
An in-depth look at the Ledger Blue, a hardware cryptocurrency wallet with Bluetooth compatibility and a touchscreen.
HitBTC exchange – February 2021 review
If you’re considering buying and selling crypto on HitBTC, a well-known exchange that supports more than 300 digital currencies, read this review first.
Cryptocurrency exchange fees
Check out this comprehensive guide to the deposit, withdrawal and trading fees charged by crypto exchanges.
A to Z: The Ultimate Cryptocurrency Glossary
From bitcoin to Shitcoin, every term you will come across on your cryptocurrency journey can be found in finder’s A to Z: Ultimate Cryptocurrency Glossary.
HKD to NGN Exchange Rate
Live exchange rates Hong Kong Dollar to Nigeria Naira. Historic exchange rates for 10 days ✔ 10 months ✔ 10 years ✔ Calculate your money transfer to NGN.
Ask an Expert