How to send money to Jamaica
Transferring money to loved ones on this Caribbean island can be a breeze.
Compare international money transfers to Jamaica
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Jamaica with our money transfer partners.
Banks versus money transfer companies
You might think that your bank is the best way to send money overseas. While banks do offer a convenient transfer solution, they offer a disappointing deals. With high transaction fees and poor exchange rates means even a small transfer can end up costing much more than you planned for.
In recent years, online transfer companies have stepped up the transfer game, offering competitive exchange rates and fees. Providers like XE and WorldRemit, specialize in moving money internationally, while MoneyGram and Western Union have handy cash locations where you can transfer money quickly.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Jamaica
By comparing a few elements of your transfer, you can ensure that you get the cheapest deal for your needs.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pickups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pickup, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pickups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Most countries’ exchange rates are flexible, which means they can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Steps to send money to Jamaica
- Register for an account with a provider, supplying your name, address, contact details, proof of ID and information about your selected payment method.
- Supply your recipient’s name, contact information and bank account details as required.
- Enter the amount of your transfer and complete the transaction.
- Keep track of any receipt you receive so you can monitor the progress of your transfer.
What are the ways that I can send money to Jamaica
- Bank transfers. Many major banks in Hong Kong will allow you to send money to Jamaica.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Ria and TransferWise can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Hong Kong to Jamaica.
- Checks and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international check overseas, obtained from your bank or postal service.
How safe is a money transfer?
When you use a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. There are protections in place that require banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Same-day transfers to Jamaica
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Jamaica— for example, if a family member is in trouble and needs money fast. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Jamaica
Whether picking up funds in Kingston, or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before leaving the office. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Cash pickup locations in Jamaica
Ask an Expert