Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Iceland
Save time and money when sending money to Iceland from Hong Kong.
Compare money transfer services to Iceland
How do international money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to a recipient overseas. Generally, a transfer involves you providing funds to a bank or an independent transfer provider, which then sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, Iceland. This can be done in person, over the phone, through a mobile app or online. You can use cash, a credit or debit card, or transfer funds from your bank account, which will then either be deposited into your recipient’s bank account or mobile wallet, or made available as cash for them to pick up at a location in their country.Back to top
Banks versus money transfer companies
The first place many people go when they need to send an international money transfer is to their bank. While banks can certainly send money overseas for you, their fees are often higher compared to companies that specialize in international money transfers. These money transfer companies focus on international transactions and can offer much better exchange rates than most major banks. Check out the services these companies offer before deciding which company should handle your next international transfer.Back to top
How do I compare transfer companies when sending money to Iceland?
- Exchange rates. The higher the exchange rate, the more money your beneficiary will receive. Also, make sure that companies with high exchange rates don’t also charge high fees.
- Transfer fees. You will usually need to pay a fee each time you send a transfer, so compare transaction fees between companies to see which one offers the most value for your money.
- Transfer methods. Some companies offer online or in-branch transfers only, while others may also offer over the phone and mobile app transfers.
- Transfer options. Can you lock in an ideal exchange rate now and transfer the money later, known as a forward contract? Does the institution offer limit orders, which allows you to take advantage of changing market conditions by executing the money transfer when a certain exchange rate is met? Can you schedule recurring payments?
- Minimum and maximum limits. If the company has minimum or maximum transaction limits, will you still be able to send your transfer?
- Processing times. Some companies offer fast transfers within 10 minutes, while others may take several business days to deliver the funds to your beneficiary.
- Pickup options. How will the money be delivered to your beneficiary: bank account deposit, cash pickup or another option?
- Customer service. Check a company’s customer assistance options to see how you can access help.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Iceland’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
What are my options for sending money to Iceland from Hong Kong?
- Specialist transfer providers. Companies such as Currency Fair and OFX offer this affordable service.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram have large international transfer networks.
- Bank transfers. Banks offer transfers to countries all around the world, but they often don’t offer affordable transactions.
- PayPal. PayPal offers an international money transfer service that allows you to send money to Iceland.
- International checks. Have you considered mailing an international guaranteed check to Iceland?
Steps to send money to Iceland?
- Register for a free account with the provider of your choice supplying your name, contact information and proof of ID.
- Provide your recipient’s information including name, contact details, and bank account information if needed.
- Enter the amount of your transfer and complete your transaction.
- Keep track of any receipt you receive to monitor the progress of your transfer.
Same-day cash transfers in Iceland
If you need to get funds to Iceland as soon as possible, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the convenience of international cash transfers in as little as 10 minutes. However, make sure you’re aware of the full cost of your transaction before you part with your money. High transfer fees and lower exchange rates often apply to emergency cash transfers, so if you’re not careful you could end up paying more than you realize.Back to top
Tips for picking up cash in Iceland
When picking up cash, make sure to:
- Never go alone
- Avoid any high-crime areas or areas where you don’t feel safe
- Keep your cash hidden
- Deposit the funds in your bank account rather than carrying them around
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
What is Siacoin? Understanding the Sia platform
Delivering the power of the blockchain to cloud hosting, Sia is a peer-to-peer solution for data storage.
LocalMonero cryptocurrency exchange – January 2021 review
LocalMonero is a global peer-to-peer marketplace where users can buy and sell Monero (XMR) using their local currency. Find out how the platform works in this detailed guide.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
How to buy, sell and trade Pundi X
Read our guide to cryptocurrency point-of-sale payment provider Pundi X, its NPXS tokens and how to buy NPXS in Hong Kong.
How to earn passive income with cryptocurrency
It’s possible to make money from cryptocurrency without just buying low and selling high. Here’s how.
What are masternodes?
Can cryptocurrency masternodes really make you money while you sleep?
HitBTC exchange – January 2021 review
If you’re considering buying and selling crypto on HitBTC, a well-known exchange that supports more than 300 digital currencies, read this review first.
Cryptocurrency exchange fees
Check out this comprehensive guide to the deposit, withdrawal and trading fees charged by crypto exchanges.
Ask an Expert