How to send money to Greece
Understand what your options are when transferring funds to Greece.
Compare money transfer services to Greece
Our interactive table lets you compare current fees, exchange rates, transfer speeds and other details about sending your money overseas. Enter the amount you’re transferring, and see how much will arrive at your destination.
How do international money transfers work?
If you don’t already have an account with the company you choose for your transfer, you’ll need to open one either in person or online. The money you send can be in cash or from a bank account, a debit card or even a credit card. Simply put, once you’ve signed over your funds and designated a recipient, the bank or transfer agency whisks it through electronic money networks to its destination, where your recipient either picks it up in person or finds it deposited into their bank account.Back to top
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Greece
You’ll want to consider costs, of course. But other factors can also affect your choice.
- Exchange rate. Hong Kong dollars are converted to euros at an exchange rate that’s set by the transfer provider. These rates vary day to day, even moment to moment, and among providers.
- Fees. Most companies charge a fee to dispatch your money around the world, though some will waive that fee for large transfers. The fee and the exchange rate determine how much your transfer will cost.
- Minimum amounts. Some companies will transfer as little as a dollar, but others won’t deal with anything less than a few hundred. Look for a match with what you’re trying to send.
- Urgency. If the money needs to get there ASAP, most providers complete transactions in a day or two. Some can do it in minutes, at a higher cost. The fastest availability usually comes with picking up the funds in cash. Surprisingly, using a credit or debit card on your end can be faster than pulling money directly from a bank account.
- Process and scheduling. Do you prefer to send money online, over the phone or in person? Do you want to schedule a future transfer or use a forward contract in anticipation of better exchange rates?
- Payment methods. Will you pay with cash, a bank account or a debit or credit card? Transfer agents often see debit cards as quicker and more secure than the bank accounts they’re based on. However, using a credit card can trigger cash advance charges from your credit card company.
- Customer service. How much help will be available if you hit a snag or have a question? Are the support hours convenient?
Banks vs money transfer providers
Think the obvious way to send money abroad is through your bank? It may also be the slowest and priciest, with high fees and weak exchange rates — resulting in fewer euros for your recipient.
You can save time and money by using a money transfer company that specialises in zipping funds around the world. They stay in business by offering low fees, and most take a minimal cut of the exchange rate. You pay less upfront, and your recipient gets more euros.
Steps to send money to Greece
- Choose from among the numerous transfer providers who send money to Greece.
- Register with the provider and supply your name, address, contact information, date of birth and a valid photo ID.
- Provide your recipient’s name, address, contact details and bank account information as required.
- Enter the amount you want to send, complete your transaction and save your receipt number to follow up on the progress of your transfer.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. The euro’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Ways to send money to Greece from Hong Kong
- Bank transfers. Most major banks offer wire transfers to Greece.
- Money transfer providers. Online providers like TransferWise and WorldRemit can help you transfer money quickly and easily.
- Transfer companies with cash pick-up. Providers like Western Union and MoneyGram have offices in Greece where your recipient can pick up the money — sometimes within minutes after you send it.
- PayPal. You can send money abroad using your PayPal account.
How safe is a money transfer?When processed through a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until in the hands of your recipient. Banks, credit unions and money transfer companies are required to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Back to top
Picking up cash at a money transfer branch
If you send money for pick-up at a money transfer location, share the transaction reference number with your recipient. The recipient will also need a photo ID and may want to call ahead to confirm operating hours and availability of the cash.
Anyone picking up a large amount of cash anywhere should keep it out of sight, be aware of their surroundings and deposit or spend it as soon as possible. Identify a safe pick-up location in advance, and encourage your recipient to take a friend.
Same-day cash transfers to Greece
If you ever need to send an emergency cash transfer to Greece— maybe your teenage son or daughter is backpacking through Europe and has run out of money — remember that urgent transfers often don’t come cheap. Fees rise and exchange rates often fall when you send a transfer ASAP, so take a little time to examine the full cost of your transfer before you send it.Back to top
Read more on this topic
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Ask an Expert