Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Ghana
Here's how to send a quick, affordable and secure money transfer to the Republic of Ghana.
Updated . What changed?
What’s the best way to send money to Ghana?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Ghana. Some offer cash pickup in as little as few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Banks, PayPal and other options are available, but come with high fees, weak rates and longer turnaround times.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like TransferWise and CurrencyTransfer specialise in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient’s Ghana bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Digital money transfer services often let you send money to Ghana mobile money accounts. These accounts, also known as mobile wallets in Ghana, allow recipients to receive and spend money directly from their mobile phones without having to visit an agent location or bank.
Services like MoneyGram allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Ghana — often in 15 minutes. While it’s a fast way to send money, you’ll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees. If a cash pickup is necessary, look to digital services like WorldRemit when possible.
Ghanaian Cedis aren’t a popular currency, so your local bank probably won’t be able to exchange them. If your bank does support Ghanaian Cedis, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $10,000 to Ghana
Let’s say you need to send $10,000 to family in Ghana. Here’s what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of 4 Jan, 2021.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||182.46 HKD||15.00 HKD||65.00 HKD + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1.00 HKD = 0.757136 GHS||1.00 HKD = 0.7197 GHS||1.00 HKD = 0.7211 GHS|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes||2-5 days|
|Amount received||7,433.21 GHS||7,186.00 GHS||7,164.13 GHS|
The bank option ends up being both the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient. If you go with the cash transfer, your recipient can receive 269.08 Ghanaian cedis more than the bank and the money will typically be delivered to Ghana in as little as 15 minutes.
How to send money to Ghana online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient’s contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you’ll need their Ghanaian bank account details.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt’s confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Ghana. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Ghana
Weigh costs and fees against convenience, and learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Ghana to meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The HKD-GHS relationship fluctuates often, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the number of Ghanaian cedis you’re sending.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Ghana.
- Minimum limits. Average incomes vary widely between the US and Ghana, which means companies with high minimum transfers may not be your best choice.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Ghana bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer
When it’s more important to get your money to Ghana quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Ghana without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you’re unbanked or marginally banked. If you don’t have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Ghana’s exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another country’s currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Ghana’s exchange rate is flexible compared to the HK dollar, which means it shifts daily, if not more. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Ghana
To send money to Ghana from Hong Kong, you’ll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Ghana may be different by company.
Documents to send money from Hong Kong
To send money from Hong Kong to Ghana, you’ll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver’s license, passport or other government-issued ID.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal checks.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient’s name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number, Ghanaian bank account and routing number.
Documents to receive money in Ghana
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer’s confirmation details — called a PIN, a MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Ghanaian Passport, Ghanaian Driving License or a similar government-issued ID is typically required to pick up cash.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender’s information. Take along your sender’s full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
According to the US Embassy in Ghana, the most common types of money scams involving Ghana typically include:
- Disbursement of money from wills.
- Contract fraud (C.O.D. of goods or services).
- Purchase of real estate.
- Conversion of hard currency.
- Transfer of funds from over invoiced contracts.
- Sale of crude oil at below market prices.
- Sale of gold at below market prices.
- Advance fees or ‘gifts’ requested to enable companies to be awarded lucrative tender.
- Advance fees to finalize an offer of employment.
Sending your hard-earned money to Ghana shouldn’t cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
ezbuy discount codes and coupons January 2021: Below HK$100 audio, tech and device accessories
Cut costs on your next ezbuy shopping spree with one of our discount codes.
Where to buy tulle skirts online in Hong Kong 2021
Check out these leading online retailers next time you’re on the hunt for an on-trend tulle skirt and save with one of our promo codes.
Top sites to buy hair accessories online 2021
When it comes to buying hair accessories order online and save. We have found you the top 10 stores.
Where to buy dresses online for tall women
With our list of retailers providing clothing designed for tall ladies, you will easily find dresses that are super-flattering.
Microsoft discount codes and coupons January 2021: 92% off Xbox Game Pass Ultimate
Microsoft offers top quality PC, Laptops, Surface Pro range, and X-Box as well as Windows 10, Office 365 and a huge range of software. Save with great coupons and discount offers!
CurrentBody discount codes and coupons January 2021 | Gifts under £100
Cut costs on cutting edge beauty products at Current Body with these codes and coupons.
Tessabit discount codes and coupons January 2021: Free delivery on orders over HK$3,600
This fashion-forward luxury label has everything to ensure you look your best on all occasions.
Where to buy shorts online in Hong Kong 2021
Check out these leading online retailers next time you’re on the hunt for an on-trend pair of shorts and save with one of our promo codes.
ROMWE discount codes and coupons January 2021 | Free shipping on orders over US$59
ROMWE has stylish clothing and accessories at prices that will surprise you. Update your look for less with our discount codes.
The top 10 sites to buy streetwear online in Hong Kong 2021
Streetwear is original and always makes a statement. Get the coolest in clothing and brands at these stores.
Ask an Expert