Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to send money to French Polynesia
Find a quick, affordable service to make a money transfer to French Polynesia.
French Polynesia constitutes a cluster of five archipelagos in the southern Pacific Ocean.
Compare Money Transfer Services
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via French Polynesia?
Here’s how to make sure you get the best value for your Hong Kong dollars when sending money to French Polynesia.
- Exchange rates. Some services offer quicker delivery for a higher fee, while others offer a slower transfer process but with low or zero fees. The idea is to find a happy medium so that you save on transfer fees while ensuring that the recipient gets the maximum amount in exchange for your dollars.
- Pick-up methods. Depending on where and to whom the funds are going, you can choose between different pick-up methods. Money can be deposited directly into the recipient’s account or the recipient can collect the funds in person at a designated pick-up point.
- Fees. How much you pay in fees depends on the service provider. Some services charge a transfer fee as well as a fee to convert your dollars into the local currency. If you’re paying a lot in fees, at least make sure that the delivery is speedy.
- Same-bank transfers. Transferring between accounts held at the same bank usually don’t incur any fees.
- Turnaround time. Transfer time differs from service to service, but most guarantee delivery within two business days if the transaction is finalised before midday. A slower turnaround may be cheaper, so decide based on your needs and the urgency of the transfer.
- Transfer methods. Most services facilitate transfers online, via telephone or in person at a branch.
- Transfer options. Depending on the service, you can set up regular payments to your recipients or market orders for investments.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Money transfer services usually have a minimum amount you can send.
- Customer service. The money transfer service you choose should have a competent customer service department. If you can’t get information by checking your transfer’s tracking number, an available and reliable customer service staff member should be able to assist you.
How do I send money to French Polynesia from Hong Kong?
Not all money transfer companies and banks allow transfers to French Polynesia. Your best bet would be an international wire service like MoneyGram. You can research alternatives, but the ideal option is a reliable service that will convert Hong Kong dollars to the local currency for little or zero fees.
How do I receive money in Hong Kong sent to me from French Polynesia?
If you need to send money to Hong Kong from French Polynesia, the best option is an online money transfer service rather than a bank. If they offer services from Hong Kong, chances are that they can do transfers in the opposite direction too.
Try one of the following online transfer services:
- WorldFirst. This service offers quick, cheap transfers between French Polynesia and Hong Kong. You can finalise the transaction online or over the phone.
- Western Union. This is probably the most popular and widely available online transfer service. You can receive money directly into your Hong Kong bank account or collect it in person at a Western Union office.
Emergency cash transfers in French Polynesia
If you suffer a financial emergency while in French Polynesia, the best and quickest way to access funds is via online money transfer or bank-to-bank transfer. Your choice depends on the nature of your emergency and how quickly you need the money.
Keep in mind that exchange rates, turnaround time and fees differ from service to service. One company may charge for the service but deliver quickly, while another may offer a free service for a delayed delivery. Here are a few methods to have money delivered in an emergency:
- Transfer service with pick-up locations. One way to quickly access money is through an online transfer companies like MoneyGram or Western Union. Cash can be made available in a little as 10 minutes.
- Travel insurance. Depending on the type of emergency, you can make a claim on your travel insurance policy. However, there’s no guarantee on how long it will take to process your claim. Be sure to check the policy disclosure statement before filing a claim.
Western Union and MoneyGram cash pick-up locations in French Polynesia
If you’ve decided to go with Western Union, here are a few locations from which you can collect your money.
- Banque de Polynésie
355 Boulevard PomareP.o Box 530 Papeete, Tahiti +689-466699Open 7:45am to 3:30pm, Monday to Thursday, 7:45am to 2:30pm on Friday
- Banque de Polynésie
2 Place De La CathedraleCathedrale 06744 Papeete, 98713 +689-467771Open 7:45am to 3:30pm,Monday to Thursday, 7:45am to 2:30pm on Friday
- Banque de Polynésia
Centre Commercial TamanuTamanu 06748 Punaauia, 98718 +689-502991Open 7:45am to 4:15pm, Monday to Thursday, 7:45am to 3:15pm on Friday
- Punaauia Plaine
Pk 10,900 Cote Mer Punaauia Punaauia, French Polynesia 98718 +689-544021Open 8:30am to 3pm, Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 11am on Friday
Tips for picking up cash in French Polynesia
You should be vigilant wherever you go, even on tropical islands. Although the more populous centres are relatively safe, it still pays to keep an eye out for suspicious behaviour when collecting your money. Go with your travelling partner or ask a local from your hotel to accompany you. Check the opening hours before you go so that you’re not left waiting outside.Back to top
What are the steps to send money to French Polynesia?
You can send money from Hong Kong to French Polynesia via online money transfer or bank-to-bank transfer. Each method comes with its own fees and conversion charges, so your choice will depend on how urgently your recipient needs the money.
If you’re a first-time sender, you’ll have to set up an account before the transfer can take place. Information required includes:
- Your name and address
- Contact information
- Credit card or bank account number
- Your recipient’s contact and bank information
Once you’ve requested the transfer, the company usually gives you a tracking number. The customer service department should be able to assist if you have questions or if there’s a problem with the transaction.
More guides on Finder
TomTop discount codes and coupons October 2020 | Up to 70% off big clearance
When it comes to getting quality computers, tech, clothing and more, you will love TomTop. Shop and save here.
Find out if Revolut is right for you with our detailed review. We take you through the features, costs, pros and cons so you’ll know everything you need to know about the card and app.
GoToWebinar discount codes and coupons October 2020 | Save 14% on webinars
Grow your business with webinars with GoToWebinar – it has everything you need and more!
Where to buy face mask filters online in Hong Kong
Here’s where you can shop for replacement filters for your mask and have them delivered straight to your door.
Bitpanda cryptocurrency broker review – October 2020
BitPanda makes selling cryptocurrency accessible, with 10 payment options and a fully automated system at your disposal.
Indacoin for money transfers: review
Is Indacoin a good choice for a bitcoin money transfer? We review its pros, cons and more.
Mercatox cryptocurrency exchange – October 2020 review
Your guide to cryptocurrency exchange Mercatox, its fees and features, and how you can start trading on the platform.
Uphold Cryptocurrency Platform – October 2020 review
A comprehensive review of Uphold, the cloud-based financial services platform where you can hold, move, convert and transact in fiat currency, cryptocurrency and even commodities.
QRYPTOS cryptocurrency exchange – October 2020 review
Your guide to the QRYPTOS cryptocurrency exchange, the coins it allows you to buy and sell, and its pros and cons.
Ask an Expert