Send money to Costa Rica
Send money to Costa Rica using an international money transfer service and you could beat the bank's rates.
Known for its rainforests, its beaches and its stunning volcanoes, the Central American nation of Costa Rica makes a great inclusion on any holiday itinerary. With a population of almost five million, Costa Rica came under Spanish rule in the 16th century and established its sovereignty in 1847.
If you want to send money to Costa Rica from Hong Kong, compare costs and transfer options to ensure you get the best deal possible.
Compare money transfer services
Banks versus money transfer companies
Banks offer a convenient and easy solution when you need to send money overseas, but they don’t offer cost-effective transfers. They offer low exchange rates and high fees on international transactions, so you can end up paying a whole lot more than you need to for your overseas transfer.
The raw deal offered by the banks has led to the growth in popularity of specialist money transfer companies. These providers, such as WorldFirst and WorldRemit, concentrate all their business efforts on moving money overseas. This means they offer far better exchange rates and minimal fees when compared to banks, which means a better deal for you and your beneficiary.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Costa Rica?
- Exchange rates. How do the company’s exchange rates compare to those of other transfer providers? If they’re regularly higher, check to see that the company doesn’t also charge hefty fees.
- Transfer fees. How much extra will you need to pay in fees and charges every time you send money overseas?
- Transfer methods. Will you be able to place transfers online, over the phone or by visiting a branch? Is there a mobile app available so you can send transfers from just about anywhere?
- Transfer options. Check to see whether the company offers a range of transfer options to provide increased flexibility and convenience. For example, can you set up a recurring transfer in advance?
- Minimum and maximum limits. What are the company’s minimum and maximum limits for each transaction? Do they suit your needs?
- Processing times. How long will your recipient need to wait until they can access the funds you send?
- Pickup options. Will the money be paid straight into your beneficiary’s bank account, or will they be able to collect the transfer in cash?
- Customer service. How will you be able to access customer service and during what hours is support available?
How do I send money to Costa Rica from Hong Kong?
- Specialist transfer providers. TorFX and WorldFirst are two companies that offer this service.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Western Union and MoneyGram are two companies that operate large international transfer networks.
- Bank transfers. Compare your bank’s exchange rates and fees with those of specialist money transfer companies.
- PayPal. PayPal’s international money transfer service allows Hong Kong customers to send money to Costa Rica.
- International cheques. You may want to use the slow transfer method of posting an international guaranteed cheque overseas.
Emergency cash transfers in Costa Rica
If you ever find yourself in the situation where you need to send an emergency cash transfer from Hong Kong to Costa Rica, make sure you read the fine print to find out how much your transaction will cost. Urgent cash transfers tend to attract lower exchange rates and higher fees than ordinary transfers, so make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into before you hand over your money.
Cash pickup locations at Western Union/MoneyGram branches in Costa Rica
Western Union and MoneyGram both have transfer locations in Costa Rica and Hong Kong, allowing you to send quick and convenient cash transfers between the two countries. You can see the details of some popular cash transfer locations in Costa Rica below. If you’re picking up cash, contact an agent to confirm their opening hours and remember to take along photo ID to be allowed to access the funds.
Airpak Avenida Segunda
Sobre Ave Segunda Diagonal A
San Jose, San Jose CR1000
Open 8:30am to 7pm Monday to Saturday
San Jose, San Jose CR 1000
Open 8am to 5pm Monday to Saturday
Frente Al Parqueo Del Mas X Menos
Open 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday, 8am to 7pm Sunday
25m Sur De La Cruz Roja
Open 8am to 8pm Monday to Saturday, 8am to 7pm Sunday
Calles 19-21 Avenidas 8 6
San Jose, 1000
Open 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm Saturday, 7am to 3pm Sunday
De La Iglesia Santa Teresita
100 Mt. S Norte Servicentro
Open 8am to 8pm seven days
Antigua Urbana De Limon
Open 8am to 5pm Tuesday to Saturday
Restaurante Monte De Oro – Teledolar
Contiguo A Radio Casino
Open 7am to 8pm seven days a week
Tips for picking up cash in Costa Rica
Keep these few simple safety steps in mind when picking up money in Costa Rica:
- Confirm an agent’s location and opening hours before you visit
- Only pick up cash in an area where you feel completely safe
- Ask a friend to go along with you to collect the funds
- Don’t display the money in front of strangers or carry it around for any longer than is necessary
What are the steps to send money to Costa Rica?
- Sign up for an account. The first step in the process is to register for a free account. This is usually done online and you will need to provide your name, contact details and proof of ID.
- Enter transaction details. Next, provide information about who you are sending the money to and where they live. You will also need to specify the amount you are sending and the transfer currency.
- Finalise your transfer. The final step is to review the details and cost of your transfer before submitting your transfer request. Many companies offer an online tracking option so you can monitor the progress of your funds.
Read more on this topic
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
Send money to China How to send money to China from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
How to send money to Slovenia How to send money to Slovenia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert