Send money to China
Safe, secure and cost-effective transfer options when you need to send money to China.
Whether you’re helping out friends or family in Beijing or investing in a business in Shanghai, you want a simple, reasonably priced way of transferring your money.
Sending money from Hong Kong to China doesn’t have to be an exhausting and expensive process. When you can quickly compare transfer fees and exchange rates for bank transfers, online transactions and even same-day services, you can get the best deal every time.
Send money to China with TransferWise
When you need to send money, benefit from competitive mid-market exchange rates and straightforward fees with TransferWise.
- Fair service fees and mid-market rates — a major market differentiator.
- Fast transfers.
- Trusted the world over, with five-star ratings on Trustpilot.
Compare money transfers to China
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds with our money transfer partners.
What to know when transferring money to China
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Transfer speed. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pick-ups, often in minutes. If you’ve more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate — especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- “Hedging” options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer service. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explainedThe exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it will yield more money when exchanged in a country with a weaker currency.
The yuan’s exchange rate is flexible, which means it can change from moment to moment. Factors that influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
How do money transfers work?
An international money transfer allows you to send money to friends, family and businesses overseas. Generally, it involves you sending cash or money from your bank account to an intermediary transfer service or bank, which then exchanges and sends the money to your recipient in another country — in this case, China.
Depending on the provider, you can initiate a money transfer in person, online or by phone. Your cash or bank account transfer is then either deposited into your recipient’s bank account or made available as cash for pick-up at a location in their country.
What are all the ways that I can send money to China?
- Bank transfers. Many major Hong Kong banks will allow you to wire money to banks in China.
- Money transfer providers. It’s simple and convenient to send an online money transfer to China from the comfort of your home.
- Providers with cash pick-up. Companies like Western Union and MoneyGram offer the option of sending funds that can be picked up from thousands of agent locations across China.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Hong Kong to China.
- Cheques and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international draft, obtained from your bank.
Banks vs. money transfer companies
China’s economy is experiencing a boom, and the Chinese yuan has become increasingly popular among traders on the global currency market. Many major Hong Kong banks offer the option to send funds to China, but they typically charge high transfer fees and offer exchange rates that are significantly lower than the mid-market rate — or the rate banks and transfer providers use when trading among themselves.
A reputable money transfer specialist can offer better exchange rates and also charge lower fees, saving you money and putting more Chinese yuan into your recipient’s pocket.
Tips for sending money to China
Steps to send money to China
- Create an account with the transfer provider that has the rates and delivery speed you need. Provide your name, contact information and proof identity.
- Enter your recipient’s name, contact information and the amount of money you want to transfer.
- Complete the transaction and wait for the funds to be delivered.
- Monitor your transfer’s progress with the reference number the provider emails to you.
Same-day cash transfers to China
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to China — perhaps your friend loses their wallet in Wuhan or their handbag in Heife. When you need to get funds to someone urgently, the fastest transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.
Receiving cash in China
Western Union, MoneyGram and Ria provide the three largest money transfer networks in the world, with thousands of agent locations around the globe. You’ll need to pass your transaction reference number on to your recipient to allow them to pick up their funds. They’ll also need to bring along a photo ID.
Exercise caution when picking up cash from an agent location. Don’t advertise the fact that you have a wallet full of cash, and head to your bank as soon as possible to deposit the funds.
Cash pick-up locations in China
Which 10 countries are sending the most money to China?
China has over 35 million expats scattered around the world. So it’s no surprise that it receives the second most money transfers right behind India with an estimated $63.9 billion in remittances in 2017, according to World Bank. Let’s see what countries are sending money to China.
|Rank||Country||Remittances in 2017|
Read more on this topic
Hong Kong remittance statistics Hong Kong sent $17.121 billion (USD) in remittances in 2017, while it received significantly less, at just $430 million. So where is it going? Finder unpacks World Bank data to find out.
Finder's Starbucks Index Ever wondered how much a Starbucks tall latte costs around the world? And what does that say about the value of currency? Finder's Starbucks Index 2019 delves into the data to find out.
How to send money to Egypt Due to its exotic nature, it will be difficult to find an agency or bank that is able to convert Hong Kong currency into Egyptian Pounds. The US dollar and other major currencies are widely accepted in Egypt though, giving you the opportunity to send remittances to Egypt from Hong Kong without delay.
How to send money to Bangladesh Compare your options when you transfer money internationally to Bangladesh.
How to send money to Gambia How to send money to Gambia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Send money to Botswana Learn how to send money to Botswana, located on the African continent; a place where there is plenty of growth potential for businesses, investors and commodity-based resources.
How to send money to Oman How to send money to Oman from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Burundi Coffee exports is not the only transactional relationship to be had with the small landlocked country of Burundi in the middle of Africa, it can also receive money from Hong Kong.
How to send money to Slovenia How to send money to Slovenia from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to Nicaragua How to send money to Nicaragua from Hong Kong, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Ask an Expert