Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Chad
Compare your options when sending money to Chad and find out what you need to know.
Chad has started attracting a lot more investment in recent years and more money has started entering the country.
If you’re sending money to Chad, there are enough options for you to compare then find the best deal.
How much does it cost to send money to Chad? Compare your options
The table below lets you see how much it will cost to send money to Chad with different options.
Enter the amount of your transfer into the table below and it will run the numbers to help you find the best deal.
What's in this guide?
- How much does it cost to send money to Chad? Compare your options
- Step by step: How to send money to Chad
- What's the best way to send money to Chad?
- How long will it take to send money to Chad?
- What to watch out for
- Documentation you'll need to send money to Chad
- What to compare to get the best deal
- Cash pick-up locations in Chad
Step by step: How to send money to Chad
- Compare the available transfer services that can send your dollars to Central African CFA francs.
- Choose the one that’s best for you and go to its website.
- Enter the details of your transfer in the space provided.
- Confirm the details and make your payment.
What’s the best way to send money to Chad?
There are several ways of sending money to Chad. The main options are:
Several banks will facilitate money transfers to Chad, although these are usually more expensive than other options.
Cash is one of the more popular choices for everyday money transfers, as your recipient won’t need a bank account to receive the money and can instead just pick it up at a location.
Money transfer services
Some money transfer services will let you choose whether you want to send money as a bank transfer, or for cash pick-up. These are often the most flexible and cost-effective choices.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $5,000 to Chad
The table below shows how much it costs to send money to Chad with two different services. One offers cash pick-ups, while the other is a transfer service that offers a choice of delivering to recipient bank accounts or cash pick-ups.
|Cash transfer||Money transfer service|
|Exchange rate||1.00 HKD = 77.4527 XAF||1 HKD = 75.17823 XAF|
|Transfer speed||Within minutes||2 days|
|Amount received||386,101.71 XAF||374,011.69 XAF|
|Overall||12,090.02 XAF more||12,090.02 XAF less|
Surprisingly, cash transfer service offers better rate and lower fees and will leave your recipient with over 12,000 XAF (roughly $153.5 HKD) more than the other.
How long will it take to send money to Chad?
Your funds can be available to pick up in Chad almost immediately with cash pick-up services.
It will typically be slower with banks though, as well as money transfer services you’re either paying with a bank deposit or are delivering money to the recipient’s bank account.
Emergency cash transfer
Services such as WorldRemit, Western Union or MoneyGram can get funds to the recipient in just minutes, although these high-speed transfers will also generally be more expensive than other options.
How to send money to Chad without a bank account
If you don’t have a bank account you can still send money to Chad by paying in person at a local agent location. If the recipient doesn’t have a bank account, they can still pick up cash or may also be able to collect funds with mobile money.
What to watch out for
Cash transfers are one of the more popular ways of sending money to Chad, despite the large landmass and largely rural country.
Mobile money services haven’t taken off to the same extent in Chad as neighbouring countries, so this may not be a popular option for everyone.
Documentation you’ll need to send money to Chad
If you’re sending money to Chad, you may be asked to provide:
- Identification. Your personal ID and details such as your name, address and contact details.
- Transfer amount. How much you want to send in XAF.
- Recipient’s details. Who the recipient is, how they should receive the money and their contact details.
- Reason for sending the money. You may be asked why you’re sending the money and, in some cases, may be required to verify this reason with additional documentation.
What to compare to get the best deal
To find the option that’s best for you, look at:
- Fees. How much you’re being charged in flat fees for the transfer.
- Exchange rates. How much margin you’re paying on the exchange rate, as a percentage of the transfer.
- Transfer speed. How long it will take the funds to arrive.
- Payment options. The different ways of paying for a transfer. For example, with credit card, cash in hand or via bank transfer.
- Delivery methods. This is whether you want the funds delivered as cash, sent to a mobile wallet or put into the recipient’s bank account.
- Customer service. Does the transfer service offer 24/7 support or just during business hours?
Foreign exchange rates explained
Exchange rates are how much of one currency you get for the other. In this case, the other currency will be XAF or Central African CFA francs.
XAF is pegged to the euro, so your exchange rates will fluctuate based on that. Look at the mid-market rates (below) and compare that to an exchange rate quoted by a transfer service to see how much you’re paying on exchange rate margins.
Cash pick-up locations in Chad
More guides on Finder
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
The simple guide to cryptocurrency CFDs
What are cryptocurrency CFDS, how do they work, and what are the trading risks you need to be aware of? Find out in this beginner’s guide.
How to buy, sell & trade Tether (USDT)
Want to buy Tether? In this step-by-step guide, find out how to buy Tether, where to buy it and what to consider first.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
The ultimate gym chain comparison March 2021: Helping you choose the right gym
Whether you’re looking for affordability, a great range of classes or 24-hour access, these 10 gyms have you covered.
Western Union vs MoneyGram
To find the best rate for your next money transfer, check out our comparison of the fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds of Western Union and MoneyGram.
How to buy Bitcoin SV
This how to buy guide will let you in on everything you need to know about buying, selling and trading BSV.
How to buy bitcoin without ID in Hong Kong
If you want to buy cryptocurrency without ID in Hong Kong, find out everything you need to know in this guide on how to buy bitcoin anonymously.
How to buy, sell or trade Stellar Lumens (XLM)
Learn about Stellar Lumens (XLM), how it works and what to consider when buying or investing.
Remitano P2P cryptocurrency platform – review
Remitano lets you buy bitcoin and other cryptos in a peer-to-peer marketplace, but is it safe to use? Find out what to expect in our review.