Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to send money to Argentina
Whether you're sending money to Mendoza or Buenos Aires, international transfers can be expensive if you don't know your options.
Compare international money transfers
Our interactive table lets you compare current fees, exchange rates, transfer speeds and other details about sending your money overseas. Enter the amount you’re transferring, and see how much will arrive at your destination.
Steps to send money to Argentina
- Create an account with the transfer provider of your choice. Account information includes your name, address, contact details, and proof of ID.
- Designate the recipient of your funds.
- Select the amount to transfer and payment method.
- Maintain records of any transaction reference number you receive so you can monitor the progress of your transfer.
How to compare transfer companies when transferring money to Argentina
You’ll want to consider costs, of course. But other factors can also affect your choice.
- Exchange rates. Nearly all providers skew exchange rates for a profit. Compare the rate you’re offered to the mid-market rate — the rate banks and transfer services use when they trade among themselves — and look for the smallest margin between them.
- Transfer fees. Find out whether the provider charges a flat fee or a percentage of your transfer. If you’re sending a large amount, ask whether you qualify for a fee-free transfer.
- Payment and delivery options. Some transfer companies allow you to pay with a credit card online, by phone or through an app. Others offer agent locations for cash payments and pick-ups. Also ask how your recipient can receive your funds: bank account, cash pick-up, mobile wallet and more.
- Transfer speeds. If it needs to be there fast, companies like Western Union and MoneyGram allow for quick cash pick-ups, often in minutes. If you have more time, you’ll get better rates and fees with an independent provider.
- Transfer limits. Your best option might depend on how much you want to send. For large transfers, weigh the best exchange rate – especially since providers encourage large transfers by offering low fees. For smaller amounts, consider the fees you’ll pay on top of the exchange rate.
- Flexible transfer options. Ask whether you can schedule payments ahead of time or protect your transfer against market fluctuations with a limit order or forward contract.
- Customer support. Most companies offer customer service by Internet chat, phone, in person or by email. Make sure help will be available if you need it.
Foreign exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weak currency. Argentina’s exchange rate is flexible, so it can change from moment to moment based on factors such as interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Ways to send money to Argentina from Hong Kong
- Bank transfers. Most Hong Kong banks offer wire transfers to Argentina.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like World First can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Transfer companies with cash pick-up. Western Union and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pick-up at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Hong Kong to Argentina.
How safe is a money transfer?
When you use a reputable provider, your funds are safely tracked until they reach your recipient. Banks, credit unions and money transfer companies to, for example, disclose all fees upfront and give you 30 minutes to cancel a transfer, assuming it hasn’t yet been picked up or deposited.
Picking up cash at a money transfer branch
Whether picking up funds in Buenos Aires or anywhere else around the world, take a few simple safety precautions to prevent yourself becoming a target for thieves.
- Call ahead. Learn the company’s business hours and choose a safe time to pick up your cash. Daylight hours are best.
- Bring a friend. Carrying money when alone can be dangerous. Ask a friend to come along.
- Deposit your money immediately. The likelihood of losing your money to theft or simple carelessness grows the longer you have it with you. Go straight to a bank and deposit your cash as soon as possible.
- Keep your cash hidden. Place your money in your purse or wallet before going outside. Carrying cash out in the open could make you a target.
Emergency transfers to Argentina
You might need to send an emergency cash transfer to Argentina – for example, if a friend travelling through the country loses their wallet. When you need to transfer funds urgently, your fastest possible transfer will often be your most expensive option. Carefully review the exchange rate and transfer fee against your needs so that you understand exactly how much it will cost you.Back to top
More guides on Finder
How to buy Power Ledger (POWR)
If you want to know how to buy Power Ledger (POWR) tokens using either HKD or cryptocurrency, you’ll find the help you need in this comprehensive guide.
What is BitShares (BTS)?
BitShares offers a blockchain solution to the problem of centralised exchange services.
Livecoin cryptocurrency exchange – review January 2021
A comprehensive review of cryptocurrency exchange Livecoin, its fees and features, and how you can start trading on the platform.
TradeSatoshi exchange – January 2021 review
What features does the TradeSatoshi crypto exchange offer, what fees does it charge and how good is its customer service? Find out in this comprehensive review.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
A complete guide to bitcoin forks
A complete beginner’s guide to bitcoin and other cryptocurrency forks, and what you need to know about them.
What is Ethereum’s Casper update? Everything you need to know
Read our ultimate guide to the Ethereum Casper update, how it works and how it will change the Ethereum network.
How to buy, sell and trade Pundi X
Read our guide to cryptocurrency point-of-sale payment provider Pundi X, its NPXS tokens and how to buy NPXS in Hong Kong.
How to earn passive income with cryptocurrency
It’s possible to make money from cryptocurrency without just buying low and selling high. Here’s how.
What are masternodes?
Can cryptocurrency masternodes really make you money while you sleep?
Ask an Expert