Moving funds back to Hong Kong from overseas does not have to be time consuming or costly. Learn how you can find cost-effective, fast ways to repatriate your funds.
If you make regular overseas payments, it helps to have a service provider with money transfer services that are cost-effective and reliable. Transferring your pension, wages, tuition fees or even loan payments to another country can be a daunting and time-consuming process, especially if you make the payments on a regular basis.
However, using a service provider who can offer you great customer service, competitive rates and low transfer fees can be beneficial when making regular international money transfers.
Repatriation of funds
If you regularly pay bills, send school fees or make mortgage payments from overseas, it’s important to have a simple, cost-effective way to ensure your money gets to the required account in time and that you don’t end up paying outrageous amounts each month on transfer fees and commissions.
Since banks can charge up to HKD$150 per transfer, you can look for smart ways to beat bank transfer fees and hidden charges using an international money transfer service provider.
How does repatriation of funds work?
Repatriation of funds basically gives you the ability to have money without borders, allowing you to transfer funds back to Hong Kong from overseas. There are many Hong Kongers living and working overseas who retain close investment, family and business connections in their home country, thus needing the capability to move money back home regularly.
However, it is not always easy to move your investment funds or other funds from one country to another as there may be restrictions around how much you can move and requirements for you to prove that your money is from a legitimate source.
A repatriation service provider can help you get your money to Hong Kong and ensure that you save a substantial amount by offering you a competitive exchange rate and low transfer fees.
Examples of repatriation of funds
- Investment. Purchasing property overseas is a significant investment. Although property may be cheaper abroad than in Hong Kong, you will still need to move a huge sum of money and will need a currency provider who offers you a competitive foreign exchange rate.
- Foreign pensions. If you hold your pension in an overseas account and are planning to retire back home, you will need to move your pension fund to Hong Kong with the help of a currency provider who can save you money on fees, give you a good exchange rate and help you come up with a retirement plan.
- Wealth management. Converting assets held overseas into foreign currency can be confusing, especially due to the many laws regulating international transfers of investment funds and occasional currency exchange fluctuations. Wealth management and conversion of assets is part of the repatriation services offered by banks and other currency providers.
How do I compare international money transfer services?
- Fees. A currency provider that charges you competitive fees for international money transfers can help you save a huge sum of money. While banks may end up charging up to 1 -2 % of the transfer amount in fees, you can save by using a currency provider who has little or no transfer and commission fees.
- Accessibility. If you regularly transfer money internationally, you need a service provider with wide coverage in many countries. Most main money transfer banks and companies have an international presence, with multiple branches, agents and offices in Hong Kong and abroad that make it easy to send and access funds from almost anywhere globally.
- Exchange rates. Transferring funds from one country to another at the right time can make you a substantial amount in profits. Since foreign exchange rates are always fluctuating, you need a currency provider who can advise you on the right time to convert your funds overseas and provide a competitive exchange rate.
- Reputation. With so many currency providers in the market today, you need to protect your investments overseas by only trusting a well-known provider or bank to handle your international money transfers.
What are the pros and cons to repatriating funds?
- Easy and fast overseas payments. Whether you are making a one-off overseas payment or are regularly transferring money back to or from Hong Kong for family, investment or business needs, you can do this easily by using the international money transfer services offered by banks and other service providers.
- Easier emigration. Moving to another country can pose many challenges, the biggest of which may be converting all your assets to foreign currency for use in your new country. With repatriation of funds, you can easily convert all your offshore assets to cash and move it from an overseas country back to Hong Kong in an easy and convenient process.
- Competitive international transfers. There are many new currency providers who are moving away from the old ways of transferring funds internationally and who can save you a lot by waiving all fees and commissions on transfers when repatriating funds.
- Laws and regulations. Repatriating funds can be complex due to the many laws governing the process. You can face restrictions in some markets on the amount you can send or on the method of sending funds back to Hong Kong.