Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare international cash transfers
Do you need to send cash to a friend or relative overseas as quickly as possible? Here’s how to do it without breaking the bank.
In today’s increasingly connected world, there are more reasons than ever why people need to send funds overseas. Perhaps they’re purchasing goods from an overseas retailer, organising travel money for their next holiday or even sending money to a relative or friend overseas.
There are a number of options available when you’re looking to send an international money transfer, but one of the best choices for many people is to use a service that allows a cash pickup option. This gives your recipient fast access to the funds they need and means you can send cash to the other side of the world almost instantly.
Compare international cash pickup personal transfers today
How does a cash transfer work?
Generally speaking, cash transfers involve you specifying to a transfer service the amount of money you would like to send overseas and which country you would like to send it to. There are multiple ways in which you can conduct a cash transfer, including everything from online transfer providers to international money orders, but there are fewer options available if you want your recipient to be able to pick up the funds in person.
The first option is to use a service that allows your recipient to pick up the money in cash from a transfer service branch. The best-known example of this is Western Union. Western Union has hundreds of thousands of locations all over the world where you can collect money, while you can send your funds in person at a branch or by visiting the Western Union website.
The second option is to send cash that can be picked up overseas at a convenience store. MoneyGram has more than 334,000 agent locations around the world where customers can both send and receive cash. Funds sent via MoneyGram are typically available for pickup within minutes.
The third option for cash transfers are companies like WorldRemit, which allow you to transfer money abroad that can then be picked up in cash from the recipient’s local bank branch.
Each of these three options provides a convenient and affordable way to send cash overseas, but choosing the best option for you will depend on where you’re sending the money and who will be picking it up.
How do I compare cash transfers?
- Pickup method. The first feature you need to compare is where the cash can be collected. Depending on the service you choose, this may be at a transfer provider’s branch, a convenience store or a bank branch. Choose the provider that offers the most convenient option for your recipient.
- Competitive exchange rates. Keep an eye out for the best exchange rates you can find as this will mean more of the money you deposit makes its way to your recipient. However, you’ll also need to consider exchange rates in relation to the fees each provider charges.
- Low or little fees. Make sure you’re aware of all the fees that will apply to your transaction. You don’t want to overlook any fees and end up with a nasty surprise that costs you money.
- Fast turnaround time. Compare how long it will take for your cash transfer to be processed. While some methods can take hours for your cash to arrive, others make cash available to your recipient within minutes.
- Cash transfer methods. Do you need to visit a branch to lodge a transfer or can you do it online or over the phone? Different methods will be more convenient for different people, so consider your own needs before choosing a provider.
- High quality customer service. Look into the customer service options offered by each provider to ensure that help is on hand whenever you need it.
What’s the good and not-so-good about cash transfers?
- A wide range of options. You have a wealth of options to choose from when sending funds overseas. When you need to send an emergency transfer, you’ll be able to find a cash transfer method that suits.
- Fast transfers. Many providers make it possible for your recipient to pick up the cash you send within minutes, which can be especially helpful in situations which require urgency.
- Safe, secure and speedy. There are many trusted and reliable providers who can transfer your funds safely and efficiently to your recipient.
- High fees. Each provider has different fees for transferring funds. These may also differ depending on where you are sending the money, so make sure to check all this out.
- Not-so-competitive exchange rates. Providers set their own exchange rates that they work out internally. Make sure to look at each provider’s rates for the currency your funds are in and are being transferred to. This will prevent you from getting a poor exchange rate.
What are the risks?
- High fees. It’s important to familiarise yourself with all the fees that apply to your transaction before you lodge it. If you don’t, fees can quickly add up and leave you significantly out of pocket.
- Poor exchange rates. Make sure to shop around for the best rates you can find. This will ensure that more of the money you send makes it into your recipient’s pocket.
- Not doing your research. Don’t simply opt for a cash transfer with the first provider you come across. You can save yourself a whole lot of money by doing your research at finder.com/hk and hunting around for the best deal.
Tips for picking up cash
When you’re picking up cash from a transfer provider or convenience store, you need to exercise caution so that you don’t become a victim of crime. If possible, take a friend along with you to act as a deterrent toward potential thieves, while it’s also a good idea to avoid overtly displaying your cash in front of strangers.
Avoid any areas where crime is known to be a problem and, if necessary, head straight to your bank to deposit some of the funds. When carrying the money, be careful not to make yourself an easy target for thieves. While purses can be easily snatched and bumbags simply scream “I’m a gullible tourist”, money belts can offer a much safer option for carrying cash around.
Common questions about international cash transfers
More guides on Finder
Neat Business review
Learn how Neat works in Hong Kong and what your business stand to gain with their e-payments platform.
How to buy bitcoin with cash: 4 different ways
There are five easy ways to turn hard cash into cryptocurrency. Compare your options and pick the one that works best for you.
The top 7 sites to buy DVDs and movies online 2021
Buying DVDs and movies can save you time, money and effort when it comes to data and Netflix fees. Order online and enjoy.
The top 8 sites to buy men’s shorts online 2021
Good quality shorts are a must for any guy’s summer wardrobe. You can wear the right pair to work or as smart casual wear.
CurrencyFair international money transfers
Check out our comprehensive review of CurrencyFair international money transfers, including fees, exchange rates, security and transfer times.
Review: Wise (TransferWise) for Business – April 2021
If you’re a borderless company, it’s worth taking a look at Wise’s new product for businesses.
CurrencyTransfer international money transfers
Our review of CurrencyTransfer as an option for your oversease money transfers.
Top 8 sites to buy dresses for petite women online 2021
With our list of retailers providing clothing designed for petite ladies, you will be able to find dresses that are super-flattering for your figure.
Top 8 domain and web hosting sites 2021
Whether you’re starting up your own business, expanding your growing company or sharing your ideas on a blog, these are the web hosting sites to use.
Banggood discount codes and coupons April 2021 | Get 25% off Top Performance E-bike
Banggood provides everything you need in the way of tech, homewares, fashion, toys and more. Get everything here at a discount.