Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
How to increase your upload speed
Sluggish upload speeds getting you down? Read our tips on how to improve your service.
With upload speeds usually lagging behind download speeds in Hong Kong, uploading big files can be a little slow at times. Here’s what you need to know about increasing your upload speed.
How to increase your upload speed
- Try using a wired connection. If you’re currently using a Wi-Fi connection, try switching to an ethernet cable, as wired connections have a faster upload speed.
- Clear your temporary files. Clearing your history, cache, and cookies can increase the overall speed of your computer, and this will increase your upload speed in turn.
- Remove other devices from your network. Having many devices connected to your internet at once can really slow down speeds, so try removing these. This can include wireless printers and mobile phones too.
- Remove malware. Malware is one of the things that can slow your computer’s speed down most, so you should make sure you don’t have any viruses. You can do this by downloading antivirus software and by making sure that it’s working properly.
- Change your DNS settings. Different domain name servers (DNS) have different speeds. You can change your DNS by finding the fastest ones and entering the code manually in your internet settings or by downloading tools to help get the fastest ones. Two reliable tools are Google DNS and OpenDNS, but there are also some professional level ones that you have to pay for.
- Update device drivers. If your device drivers are outdated it can really slow you down. You can update them by clicking ‘update device drivers’ in your network adapter’s options menu.
- Upload at off-peak times. This one isn’t particularly helpful if you need to upload quickly now, but off-peak times have much quicker speeds, and this is something to consider when choosing the time you upload something.
Change your broadband provider
One of the most common reasons your upload speed could be slow may be based on your provider and the package you have. Different providers perform better in certain areas of Hong Kong, and it could be worth shopping around to see if you can secure a better service by switching.
Frequently asked questions
What is the average upload speed in Hong Kong?
According to the Speedtest Global Index, Hong Kong has an average download speed of 168.99 Mbps and an average upload speed which slightly lagged behind at 164.80 Mbps. These figures – which saw Hong Kong rank second in the world for Fixed Broadband speed – were correct as of March 2020.
What is considered a good upload speed?
You may find anything below 6Mbps a little sluggish at times, depending on how you use your service (along with other factors). Anything above 6Mbps is definitely a good upload speed.
How can I check my internet speed?
It’s very simple to check your internet speed with our test below.
Hit “GO” below to test your Internet speed
The Finder broadband speed test calculates a number of different factors related to your broadband speed.
Results are only an indication of the speeds you are receiving and should be used as general advice to compare broadband plans.
Ask an Expert