Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy, sell and trade NXT in Hong Kong
A beginner’s guide to buying, selling and storing NXT assets.
Launched in 2013, Nxt is an open-source blockchain platform that offers a long list of decentralised features to users. These include an asset exchange, marketplace, voting system and data cloud.
NXT is the native currency of the Nxt platform and is used as a payment system for all of the platform’s features. Conventionally, the currency is written all in uppercase (NXT) but the platform is not (Nxt). So, how does the Nxt platform work and how can you buy NXT in Australia? Let’s take a closer look.
Where to buy NXT
NXT is available from a selection of popular cryptocurrency exchanges, including:
A step-by-step guide to buying NXT
If you want to buy NXT, all you need to do is follow three simple steps.
Step 1. Register for an account with an exchange that lists NXT
- NXT is only available on a limited range of crypto exchanges, so check out some of the exchanges that allow you to trade this currency in the comparison table above.
- Choose a platform that meets your needs and sign up for an account by providing your email address and creating a password.
- Depending on the exchange you choose, you may also need to supply your full personal details and proof of ID to satisfy Know Your Customer and anti-money laundering (KYC/AML) requirements.
- Once you’ve created an account, remember to enable 2-factor authentication (if supported by the exchange) to provide increased security for your funds.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account
- Many exchanges only allow you to buy NXT with cryptocurrency, not with fiat currency. If this is the case, you’ll need to acquire a crypto listed in a currency pair alongside NXT, such as bitcoin (BTC) or Ether (ETH), before you can purchase any NXT.
- However, Australia-based cryptocurrency exchange CoinSpot does allow you to exchange Australian dollars (AUD) for NXT. To deposit funds into your account, look for the “Deposit AUD” link from the CoinSpot dashboard. Alternatively, you can deposit cash at a newsagency via Blueshyft.
Step 3. Buy NXT
- The final part of the process is to click through to the “Exchange” or “Markets” section of your chosen platform. You can then search for your desired currency pair, such as NXT/ETH, and enter the amount of NXT you want to buy or the total amount of ETH you want to spend.
- If you’re using CoinSpot, click on the “Buy/Sell” link at the top of the page and then search for “NXT”. Check the latest price of NXT and click on the “Buy NXT” link.
- You can then enter the amount of NXT you want to buy, or the amount of AUD you want to spend. Click “Buy” and you’ll be shown the full transaction details, including the total cost. Click “Confirm Buy” if you’re happy to finalise the purchase.
How to sell NXT
The selling process is essentially the same as the buying process described in step 3, with the obvious difference that you’ll need to look for the “Sell NXT” link. Also, don’t forget that NXT is only available in a limited range of currency pairs, so you may not be able to immediately exchange it for the currency you desire.
Which wallets can I use to hold NXT?
Storing digital coins and tokens in an exchange wallet for an extended period exposes you to the risk of hacking and theft, so it’s generally recommended that you move your NXT coins into a private wallet.
The Nxt client allows you to store your NXT coins and manage your transactions. It’s available for download from the Nxt website and works on Windows, Mac, Linux and Android operating systems.
How Nxt works
Created in 2013, Nxt is a blockchain platform that offers several core-level features. Developed in the Java programming language, its decentralised features include:
- Assets and asset exchange. Nxt offers a peer-to-peer asset exchange to allow fast and secure trading without the need to trust a third party. You can trade assets to represent everything from equities, bonds and commodities to movie tickets, restaurant reservations and copyrights.
- Monetary System. This allows users to create their own cryptocurrency and trade it on Nxt or through any platform that supports the Nxt Monetary System.
- Marketplace. The Nxt Marketplace lets you list and sell items on the blockchain, with no need to trust a third party.
- Messaging. The messaging system allows Nxt account holders to send and receive data on the blockchain to communicate directly with one another.
- Voting. Nxt Voting allows users to create simple polls, and also allows transactions to be approved or rejected by a group of users as part of the platform’s Account Control system.
- Account control. By making your Nxt account subject to the Nxt Voting System, you can provide multi-signature security for your account.
- Coin shuffling. This feature lets users mix their funds with other users’ funds to anonymise their balance or transaction details.
- Data cloud. The Nxt Data Cloud offers a decentralised data storage system.
- Alias system. This simple system allows a long and complicated string of data to be replaced by a shorter one. For example, you could use this system to create an alias for your Nxt account number.
Originally released by an anonymous software developer, the Nxt platform and NXT are now managed by parent company Jelurida.
What to consider when buying NXT
Cryptocurrencies are complicated and highly volatile, so it’s essential that you do your own research into any project before deciding whether to purchase a particular currency. If you’re thinking of buying NXT, make sure to take the following factors into account:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, at time of writing the circulating supply of coins is 998,999,942. The total supply of 1 billion coins was created in 2013 and, as Nxt uses a proof of stake (PoS) system, no new coins will ever be created or mined.
- Use. NXT is the currency that fuels the Nxt platform. Coins can be used to pay transaction fees when transferring NXT between users, for creating assets, for developing blockchain-based polls, and for storing data on the blockchain.
- Established platform. Having been launched back in 2013, Nxt is one of the older players still going strong in the crypto world. This early-mover advantage has seen it establish a strong foothold and build a community of followers.
- Ardor. In early 2018, Nxt’s parent company, Jelurida, launched Ardor. This new blockchain platform is based on Nxt but offers a number of enhanced features, including the ability to support child chains. Ardor is designed to deal with scalability, so it’s worth considering whether there are any scaling problems that may face the Nxt platform before deciding whether to buy any NXT.
- Competitors. As well as its Ardor sibling, Nxt also faces competition from other dapps platforms such as Ethereum and New Economy Movement (NEM). In fact, this is quite a crowded corner of the cryptocurrency world, so you’ll need to consider the effect this could have on the adoption of Nxt and its native currency.
Examining these and other factors will help you decide whether you should consider buying any NXT coins, or whether you should instead move on to the next big thing.
Image source: Shutterstock
More guides on Finder
How to buy Aave (AAVE)
Learn more about the AAVE cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Avalanche (AVAX): How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the Avalanche (AVAX) cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Citibank Citigold review
With Citigold, you can benefit from personalised asset planning to meet your financial needs and wealth goals.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
Ask an Expert