Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy Dent (DENT)
How Dent works and where to buy and sell it.
Dent, or DENT Wireless as it’s officially known, aims to use cryptocurrency to democratise mobile data and bandwidth in a peer-to-peer economy.
It essentially aims to let users buy and sell their mobile data.
Where to buy and sell Dent
Step-by-step guide to buying DENT
Buy with crypto only
To buy DENT you will first need to buy BTC or ETH and then trade that for DENT at one of the exchanges above.
The coins accepted may vary depending on the exchange.
This involves creating an account on the exchange, and then sending coins from your wallet to that exchange. At this point, they can be exchanged for DENT.
After the exchange, your DENT will either be deposited to your account on the exchange or sent directly to the wallet address you’ve specified.
If you don’t already have BTC or ETH you’ll need to get either of those first.
How does DENT work?
Dent Wireless has three stated goals.
- The liberation of mobile data. It wants to let customers buy and sell their mobile data peer to peer as quickly and easily as possible, to eventually create a global marketplace for mobile data, bringing prices down all around the world.
- The removal or minimisation of data roaming fees. Dent aims to remove the concept of data roaming by using a system called “Local Breakout” that automatically routes data in the most efficient way possible. Currently, data roaming fees are used to offset the costs of inefficiently routing data from one’s home country to the country one is in.
- To help drive the data sharing economy. Just as Airbnb is driving shared living space, Uber is driving shared transportation and other peer-to-peer systems are emerging, Dent wants to drive shared mobile data.
To try to accomplish this it uses an ERC20 token on the Ethereum blockchain.
- A single currency. The use of its own currency makes it a lot easier to buy and sell data globally.
- Smart contract products. When users buy and sell mobile data it comes packaged as a smart contract product. This ensures transparency in the system and means buyers and sellers can’t cheat each other.
It operates through a mobile app, which generally makes buying, selling and sending data as easy as using any other app.
What to consider if buying DENT
DENT will have a total token supply of 100 billion, of which about 10.7 billion is currently in circulation.
If you’re planning on buying, it’s probably also worth getting the app itself to see how it works, and whether you might simply prefer to use DENT for its intended purpose rather than holding onto its tokens.
The DENT platform is largely operational and has a functional product that appears to be widely used.
It’s also previously adjusted prices to adapt to the growing value and popularity of the coin, so DENT’s value may be able to increase without pricing the token out of usability.
However, it’s also facing extreme competition from other blockchain providers. For example, Sirin Labs’ dedicated blockchain smartphone which is currently under development and has the goal of having Dent-like features built-in.
The Sirin phone is being created with the specific aim of eventually migrating into the IOTA network, and IOTA, IoT Chain and other “Internet of Things” platforms might have the potential to eventually leave Dent obsolete.
But if you’re looking to test drive some blockchain technology in the real world, buying some DENT, getting the app and seeing how it stacks up next to your current mobile data prices might be a good way to test the waters.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Aave (AAVE)
Learn more about the AAVE cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
Metamask wallet review and guide
All you need to know about Metamask – the browser extension digital wallet and a user-friendly bridge to the world of Ethereum decentralised applications.
Finder Cryptocurrency Predictions Report: October 2020
We asked 30 panellists for their cryptocurrency price predictions, the outlook for DeFi and how long they think high returns on yield farming might last.
How to buy Dogecoin (DOGE)
A beginner’s guide to buying and selling this decentralised, peer-to-peer cryptocurrency.
Ask an Expert