Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy AdEx
Your guide to AdEx and how you can buy and sell the ADX cryptocurrency
AdEx is a decentralised ad exchange built on the Ethereum network. Built with the aim of disrupting the existing online advertising landscape and overcoming problems such as fraud and privacy concerns, AdEx is designed to provide advertisers, publishers and consumers with a secure and transparent platform.
The AdEx token (ADX) is used on the platform to buy or sell advertising time. Read on to find out exactly how the exchange and the token work, and how you can buy ADX.
Where to buy, sell or trade ADX in Hong Kong
You can buy ADX on a wide range of cryptocurrency exchanges, including the following:
A step-by-step guide to buying ADX
If you want to buy ADX, here’s an example of how to do it:
Step 1. Register for an account with an exchange that offers ADX.
Compare the features and fees of the exchanges that list ADX in one or more currency pairs. Once you’ve found a platform you like, provide your email address and create a password to register for an account.
Depending on the site you choose, you may also need to provide proof of ID and other personal details (like your name, address and contact information). This is often required to satisfy Know Your Customer and anti-money laundering (KYC/AML) requirements.
Make sure you also enable 2-factor authentication (if available) on your account for increased security.
Step 2. Deposit funds into your account or obtain a cryptocurrency listed as a trading pair with ADX.
There currently aren’t any exchanges that let you buy ADX directly with Hong Kong dollars. As a result, you’ll need to first own or obtain a cryptocurrency that’s listed in a trading pair alongside ADX. Bitcoin (BTC) and Ether (ETH) are the two most popular options, so check out our how to buy BTC and how to buy ETH guides if you need advice on how to acquire either of these coins.
Cryptocurrency exchange Binance offers ADX but does not allow direct purchase with fiat currency. However, Binance offers direct purchase of BTC or ETH directly with fiat currency, so you may acquire some of these coins before trading them for ADX.
Step 3. Buy ADX
The final step is to navigate your way to the exchange page on your chosen platform, find the pair you want to trade (e.g. BTC/ADX or ETH/ADX) and specify the details of your transaction. Make sure you review all the details of your purchase, including the total cost, before you click “Buy ADX” and finalise the transaction.
How to sell ADX
If you want to sell your ADX tokens, search for “ADX” from the “Buy/Sell” menu and click on “Sell ADX”. The process you’ll need to follow after that is essentially the same as the buying process outlined in step 3 above. However, you may not be able to immediately exchange ADX for the currency you want.
Which wallets can I use to hold ADX?
Rather than storing your crypto holdings on an exchange, the most secure way to hold your ADX is in a secure wallet. ADX is an ERC20 token on the Ethereum blockchain, so you’ll need to use a wallet that’s compatible with these types of tokens, such as the following:
How AdEx works
First announced in 2016 and based in Bulgaria, the AdEx network features several layers to provide a secure, decentralised ad exchange. The first layer is the ad exchange itself, which is built on Ethereum smart contracts.
On top of the exchange, the company is building dapps for the publisher portal, the advertiser portal and the AdEx profile for end users. All of those dapps will be browser-based and accessible online, but hosted by AdEx. The end-user profile will give people the opportunity to understand and control the ads delivered to them.
According to the team behind AdEx, the network is designed to solve a range of problems with online advertising, including the following:
- A lack of consumer consent and control over the ads they are shown
- Online privacy concerns and the misuse of personal data
- A lack of bidding transparency for advertisers
- Unclear and misleading reporting of online ad campaigns
- Advertising fraud
The AdEx beta is scheduled for release in February 2018. The AdEx token (ADX) will be used internally to buy or sell advertising space and time within the AdEx ecosystem. A token sale was held in June and July 2017 and raised 40,000 ETH.
Key things to consider if you’re thinking about buying ADX
Cryptocurrencies are complex, speculative and risky, so it’s essential to understand exactly how they work and all the risks involved before you buy. If you’re thinking of purchasing ADX, make sure you take the following factors into account:
- Supply. According to CoinMarketCap, at the time of writing (1 February 2018), the circulating supply of ADX was 60,248,315 out of a total supply of 100,000,000 ADX.
- White paper. For more details about the technology behind AdEx, how the platform works and the function of the ADX token, check out the company’s detailed white paper.
- Token use. The white paper explains that advertisers will be able to create ads, and then place bids for them in the AdEx ecosystem, setting the bid in ADX tokens. The advertisers may bid for a specific number of impressions, clicks or conversions. Once a publisher accepts a bid, the tokens will be frozen until the publisher proves that they have completed the goal, at which time the tokens will be transferred to the publisher’s balance.
- Possible new token. The white paper mentions the possible addition of a second token, the ADXToken2 (ADXT). This upgradable ERC20 token would feature an inflation model designed to improve the token’s scalability and avoid too much scarcity.
- Still in development. Like many other cryptocurrencies, ADX will be used on a platform that is still in development. This means there are several unknowns about the user-friendliness and robustness of the platform that can only be answered once it has been fully released.
- Partnerships. It’s also a good idea to stay up to date with news of any partnerships and commercial arrangements a crypto has lined up. For example, AdEx has partnered with NEO and video entertainment platform Stremio.
- Team. AdEx co-founders Ivo Georgiev and Dimo Stoyanov founded Stremio, and the video entertainment hub has almost 5 million active users.
- Potential market. Digital advertising spend exceeded TV ad revenue for the first time ever in 2016, attracting revenue of US$72.5 billion.
- Competition. AdEx isn’t the only blockchain-based tech company that aims to disrupt the online advertising industry. Basic Attention Token (BAT), Qchain and adChain are just some potential competitors you’ll need to be aware of.
You’ll need to consider these and many other factors to determine whether you should buy ADX.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Aave (AAVE)
Learn more about the AAVE cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Avalanche (AVAX): How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the Avalanche (AVAX) cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Citi Plus review
Citibank Citi Plus offers a digitised banking experience and a wide array of features tailored to the needs of digital natives in Hong Kong.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
Ask an Expert