Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
HKBN Broadband Review
What you need to know about the popular broadband service provider.
HKBN is a widely used broadband provider in Hong Kong, offering a range of plans and products – including HKBN mobile deals. Read on to find out if HKBN is the right choice for you based on your browsing needs.
Compare Hong Kong Broadband Network Plans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Examples of plans offered by HKBN
HKBN typically offers home fibre broadband plans of a period of 24 months, with speeds starting from 100M and topping out at a huge 2Gbps.
- 1000M/2Gbps Home Broadband. These lightning-fast plans can give peace of mind that you should be able to connect multiple devices to the Internet at the same time. What’s more, they typically come with a Home Gateway package included. Home Gateway offers an added layer of security while you’re online.
- SIM plans. In addition to fibre broadband, HKBN has four mobile service plans to compare. At the time of writing, this included an Unlimited Data Mobile Service Plan. This mobile package, which costs from HK$88 p/m for 24 months, includes unlimited local data and offers speeds of up to 2Mbps. Plus, other perks may be available to you. Terms and conditions apply.
The deals you are eligible for will depend on your individual circumstances, including where you live and your property type. You may want to start by checking if you can get HKBN coverage in your area by visiting this provider’s website.
Benefits of HKBN
- Sign up offers. HKBN often posts time-limited offers for new customers who sign up for broadband online. These include home insurance discounts, monthly service fee waivers, and more.
- Very fast speeds. According to their website, HKBN was named as Hong Kong’s fastest Internet Service Provider by Speedtest.
- Service fee waivers. Some HKBN plans offer three- or six-month broadband service fee waivers. However, it’s a good idea to check if such benefit is negated by the need to sign up to a longer-term contract.
- Added perks. Many broadband deals include myTV SUPER (among other benefits), a 24-hour movie platform for those who love to watch films.
Features of HKBN
- Safe browsing. With HKBN, you’ll have peace of mind that you and your family can browse safely. Its (included) Home Gateway package, which has a network security router, includes features like the ability to filter websites. Plus, it can give protection against hackers. You can also download their app to get near-instant notifications about any security threats.
- Referral bonuses. HKBN offers certain perks if you successfully refer someone to a broadband or mobile service. Such benefits could include up to HK$1,100 in account rewards and dining vouchers at Hung Fook Tong.
- Flexibility. This provider has a neat feature that allows customers who are on existing broadband contracts to lock-in prices thanks to its deferred plan start option – for up to 180 days.
- Easy application process. HKBN makes it straightforward to apply for a new deal online.
Pros and cons of HKBN
- Some of the fastest Internet speeds available
- 24/7 Customer Service Hotline
- 14-day ‘cooling-off’ period applies
- Other broadband deals on the market may be cheaper.
What to be aware of before signing up to HKBN
When comparing broadband plans, keep an eye out for charges such as router costs, installation fees or activation costs. Other charges may include an early termination fee if you decide to break your contract early. Also, an administration fee will be charged if you decide to transfer names on your account. It’s important to be aware that, in Hong Kong, monthly rates can differ for the same plan – those in public housing can often be offered slightly cheaper deals than those in private housing. A number of other factors will be taken into account when a provider fixes your broadband price, including the age of your building.
Make sure you read the terms and conditions of each broadband plan you compare, so that you understand all of the fees and charges you’ll have to pay.
How to apply for a HKBN plan
The quickest way to apply for a HKBN plan is to do so online via HKBN’s website. You may find it’s also the most cost-effective method too.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
A beginner’s guide to cryptocurrency ETFs
If you’re looking for ways to gain exposure to bitcoin and other digital currencies, cryptocurrency ETFs could be worth exploring. Find out what crypto ETFs are and how they work in this introductory guide.
Avalanche (AVAX): How it works and where to buy
Learn more about the Avalanche (AVAX) cryptocurrency in this beginner’s and buyer’s guide.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Review: TransferMate international money transfers
Learn about how TransferMate’s personal product works and what it can do for you.
Citibank Citigold review
With Citigold, you can benefit from personalised asset planning to meet your financial needs and wealth goals.
Citi Plus review
Citibank Citi Plus offers a digitised banking experience and a wide array of features tailored to the needs of digital natives in Hong Kong.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.