Hong Kong’s global bank offers an extensive range of credit cards, including premium rewards cards and a dual currency card. Compare what’s on offer from HSBC.
HSBC offers a comprehensive range of credit card products, ranging from a convenient and easy to apply for local currency card through to cards with premium travel features. Your credit card from HSBC unlocks generous benefits, including RewardCash, access to discounts at retailers and a convenient repayment plan. What’s more, you can also apply for a dual currency card on the UnionPay network
Compare the top deals on offer from the Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation, experts in credit card products.
finder does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
Types of HSBC credit cards
HSBC offers a comprehensive range of credit card products, ranging from a convenient and easy to apply for local currency card through to cards with premium travel features. You can also apply for a dual currency card on the UnionPay network.
Get rewarded as you spend with the HSBC Visa Gold Credit Card, earning HSBC RewardCash on all eligible credit card spend, including 5 X the standard RewardCash award when spending online and overseas. The HSBC Visa Platinum Credit Card adds concierge services, exclusive travel offers and special discounts on leisure and shopping throughout the year.
Turn your everyday payments into even higher rewards by applying for the HSBC Visa Signature Credit Card. You get 3 X the standard RewardCash awards in a range of categories, and 9 X the standard awards in your choice of category. The HSBC Visa Signature card comes with exclusive dining offers, a 24-hour concierge and a range of benefits targeted at holders of a Visa Signature card.
Exclusive privileges cards
Customers of HSBC’s premium Advance and Premier banking services can apply for the HSBC Advance Visa Platinum Card or the HSBC Premier Mastercard. The Advance card includes an annual fee waiver, all the benefits of the HSBC Visa Platinum Card and exclusive offers on dining and shopping throughout the year. The Premier Card adds shopping and travel offers, including a stay two nights, get two nights free offer on hotel stays, exclusive discounts with Expedia and Agoda as well as free Wi-Fi around the world courtesy of Boingo.
Dual currency cards
You can relax about foreign currency fluctuations by applying for the HSBC UnionPay Dual Currency Credit Card. Pay flexibly in both renminbi and Hong Kong dollars while earning RewardCash as you spend. The Diamond edition of this card also offers 3 complimentary airport lounge visits and discounted rates on airport limousine transfers.
Business credit cards
Get perks and rewards for your employees when you charge business transactions to the HSBC Business Mastercard. The World Business Mastercard adds double points on spending abroad, free travel insurance and a flat rate on airport limousine transfers. You will also have access to tools and services to help you manage the transactions on your business credit card account.
What benefits can I get with an HSBC credit card?
- RewardCash program
Your HSBC card will automatically be enrolled in HSBC’s rewards programme, RewardCash. Every eligible dollar of card spend earns RewardCash with some categories of card spend earning up to nine times the standard level of RewardCash. You can shop with your RewardCash balance and even enjoy a discount depending on how long you have held your HSBC credit card.
- Private label cards
Add a private label card to your HSBC credit card and receive exclusive discounts and offers at designated stores. At the time of writing you can unlock a 10% discount at city’super, LOG-ON and cookedDeli or choose a Dickson or Harvey Nichols private label card each offering 10% off purchases.
- Premium travel and leisure benefits
With HSBC you get substantial travel and leisure benefits, with facilities and offers increasing as you step up to HSBC’s premium cards. The Visa Gold card comes with HSBC’s home&Away shopping and dining benefits and includes emergency and travel assistance anywhere in the world. A Platinum card brings concierge services and more, while the Premier card is ideal for frequent travellers – including a very wide range of travel benefits and discounts.
- Cash and spending instalment plans
Use the cash instalment plan on your card to turn your credit limit into cash or to settle another credit card, paying off the amount transferred over up to 60 months. Alternatively, combine multiple card transaction into a spending instalment plan over a maximum of 24 months.
- Convenient mobile payments
Pay for purchases using your Apple, Google or Samsung compatible mobile phone. Simply add your card to Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay and complete transactions by tapping your phone on a contactless credit card terminal.
- Octopus Automatic Add-Value Service (AAVS)
Automatically reload your Octopus and earn RewardCash while doing so. With HSBC you can easily link your smart card to your credit card to top up your balance conveniently in HK$250 or HK$500 increments.
How can I apply for an HSBC credit card?
Review the range of cards on offer from HSBC. Each card has different eligibility requirements and each features distinct RewardCash earnings rates and unique benefits. You may prefer a high RewardCash earnings rate on specific spending categories or you could opt for extensive travel benefits.
- Age. The minimum age requirement to apply for an HSBC card is 18.
- Residential Status. You have to be a resident of Hong Kong to apply, but you don’t need to hold a permanent Hong Kong ID card – foreigners can also apply.
- Income requirements. Annual income requirements for HSBC credit cards differ, starting from HK$60,000 for the HSBC Visa Gold Card up to HK$360,000 for the Visa Signature card.
- Other requirements. The HSBC Premier MasterCard is only available to HSBC Premier customers which in itself is restricted to customers with an HSBC-defined Relationship Balance of HK$1,000,000 or more.
- Credit history. You need to have a good credit history to be eligible for an HSBC credit card. HSBC will also consider all your existing outstanding debts before granting you further credit.
Necessary documents and information
- Proof of identification. New customers are required to upload a copy of their Hong Kong ID card when applying, or a copy of their passport.
- Proof of income. You can submit proof of income in the shape of your latest tax demand notice. Alternatively, you can provide bank statements or payslips covering one month with a clear indication of your salary. If your earnings vary, supply three months of bank statements or payslips.
- Confirmation of address. HSBC will request a bank statement or utility bill with your current address on it and no older than three months. This only applies to new customers.
- Foreigners. If you’re a foreigner you need to supply confirmation of your remaining employment period in Hong Kong, which should be a minimum of 12 months. This can be your Hong Kong visa or your employment contract.
HSBC has a wide range of credit cards that match different needs and requirements. Always compare the HSBC range with the products on offer from other Hong Kong credit card providers. Only if you are certain that HSBC offers the credit card product which is best suited for you should you apply to open an account.
What supporting documents and information will I need?
The documents you need to apply will depend on the card product you are applying for, whether you are an existing HSBC customer and whether you have a permanent Hong Kong Identity Card. You may be asked to provide your passport and proof of your address and income. Documents can be uploaded online or by taking a picture of the document using your mobile phone.