Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Citibank Credit Cards
Enjoy attractive cashback rates and savings as you spend on dining and shopping with a Citibank Credit Card.
Read on to compare the top Citibank credit cards available to Hong Kong residents.
Finder does not currently have access to this credit card provider. Please review the product details, application criteria and terms and conditions on the provider website if you are considering applying for this product.
Types of Citibank credit cards
Citibank offers several rewards cards which help you get more out of your everyday spending. Let’s take a closer look at the leading Citibank credit cards:
- Cashback cards. If you are looking to get the most from your credit card rewards, consider the Citi Cash Back信用卡 which offers an attractive 1% rebate on everyday spending, and 2% rebate on global dining and hotels including foreign currency spending. Receive HK$700 Cash Rebate Or HK$800 Genki Sushi Gift Voucher Or Coca-Cola Air Fryer and enjoy half the interest charges in the first three statements with minimum spend of HK$8,000 in the first two months of card activation. Valid till 31 October 2021.
- Reward cards. Your points will never expire with the Citi Rewards Card, awarding you 5X points throughout the year as well as 8X the usual amount of points in the month you were born. Choose between Visa, Mastercard and UnionPay when you apply for a Citi Rewards Card. Even your telecommunications bill can earn you rewards with this credit card. Elsewhere, the Citi HKTVmall Card lets you take advantage of a 5% discount at HKTVmall every Thursday. This card makes it easy to offset your spending directly after you pay by using Citi Pay with Points.
- Cashback and rewards. If you frequently shop online, consider applying for the Citibank Clear Card which offers up to 2% cash rebate on online foreign currency spending. What’s more, you’ll be rewarded with buy 1-get-1-free movie tickets and priority booking for entertainment events. Or you may prefer the Citibank Octopus Platinum Card, which has a standard 0.5% rate of cashback and gives you access to the Octupus Rewards programme, unlocking further benefits at any outlet which displays the Octopus Rewards icon.
- Premium travel cards. Get an exclusive mileage earnings rate as well as unlimited access to airport lounges around the world with the Citi Prestige Card. This premium credit card also offers complimentary travel insurance, as well as a free fourth night on any hotel booking. At the time of writing, new cardholders can get a 20,000 miles bonus when they pay the first year annual fee. This card is also topped up with an annual thank you gift of 20,000 miles.
- Airline miles cards. When the time comes to start thinking of airline miles again, you may want to apply for the Citi PremierMiles Card. This card comes with a welcome offer of 800 points enough to redeem round trip ticket to Taipei. A PremierMiles credit card earns Avios which can unlock redemptions with partner airlines.
The benefits of a Citibank credit card
- Supplementary cards. All your supplementary cards participate in the main cardholder’s rewards scheme and you can share the benefits of your credit card with supplementary cardholders.
- Dining, shopping and travel deals. Citibank credit cards are typically eligible for special deals on online shopping, dining out and travelling. Receive complimentary travel insurance on travel bookings and discounts on top restaurants.
- Easy cash rebates. Many of Citibank’s credit cards offer hassle-free rebates. Simply spend as you normally would every day and see a proportion of your monthly spend credited back to your card statement at the end of the month.
- Convert your credit card balance into cash. You can get cash out of your credit card instantly with Citibank’s Cash Conversion Program. Instant cash can be conveniently paid back over a flexible period and there is no handling or early settlement fee.
- Balance Transfer Program. You can transfer other credit card balances to your designated Citibank credit card with no handling and early settlement fees.
- Contactless & mobile payments. Pay easily and conveniently on contactless terminal via Visa payWave. Link your Citibank credit card to your mobile phone with Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay for an even more convenient way to pay.
How can I apply for a Citibank credit card?
There are a lot of credit card choices with Citibank, and each card has different features. Think about your monthly spending and choose the credit card which will bring you the highest rewards and most generous discounts.
When you’re ready, head to the Citibank Hong Kong website to begin your application.
- Age. You have to be 18 when you apply for a Citibank credit card, but the bank states there is no maximum age limit for applicants.
- Residential status. You can apply for a Citibank credit card even if you are not a permanent resident of Hong Kong, but you will need to supply further documentation.
- Income requirements. Citibank has varying income requirements, depending on the credit card product you are applying for. The Citibank Clear Card required a minimum income of HK$60,000 while the Citibank Cash Back Card has a minimum income requirement of HK$250,000 or more. Always check the income requirements for the card product you’re interested in.
- Other requirements. You must be a full-time degree or diploma student of a Hong Kong Tertiary Institution to be eligible for the Citibank Clear Student Card.
- Credit history. Citibank will evaluate your credit file and consider your current obligations to creditors before granting you further credit in the shape of a credit card account.
Necessary documents and information
- Proof of identification. Once you’ve completed the application form, including your HKID or passport number, you will also be expected to submit a signed copy of your Hong Kong ID.
- Evidence of assets or income. Employees can submit their latest payslip, a set of bank statements showing the last three months of salary payments or other proof of assets such as a fixed deposit statement. Self-employed applicants need to supply a Personal Tax Assessment or Profit Record and proof of assets such as a current fixed deposit statement.
- Change of name. If you’ve changed your name you need to submit sufficient proof, for example, a Deed Poll.
- Relatives of Citibank employees: Applicants who have a relative or spouse that is either a director or employee at Citibank Hong Kong are required to declare the name of the Citibank employee that is known to them as well as the department where they are employed.
- Foreign residents. If you are working in Hong Kong but not a permanent resident you will need to submit additional documents, including your passport showing your full name, nationality and passport number. Foreigners also need to submit a copy of their Hong Kong visa as well as proof of employment which clearly states the duration of their employment.
It’s always a good idea to compare the Citibank credit card range with credit cards on offer from other Hong Kong providers before you proceed with an application. Credit card products vary and each individual applicant has different needs and requirements, so, only apply for a Citibank credit card once you are sure it’s a good fit for your spending and lifestyle.
Questions you still might have
Do I need to make a minimum monthly payment to my Citibank credit card?
If you carry a balance on your Citibank credit card you will likely need to pay back a minimum amount every month. This calculates as a small percentage of your balance plus any interest accrued as well as any other charges and fees you occurred in that month.
How secure is my Citibank credit card?
Your Citibank credit card is secured on several layers. Citi employs 3D secure at participating merchants to prevent unauthorised use of your card. If your card is lost or stolen Citi can block any further transactions, so call the bank straight away.
Can I apply for a Citibank credit card if I’m not a Hong Kong citizen?
Yes, you can apply for a credit card from Citibank even if you do not have a permanent Hong Kong ID. However, Citibank will typically request proof of your right to employment and your future employment prospects to verify that you have an income with which you can repay your card balance.
How do I register for online banking with Citibank?
You can register for Citi Online Banking via your desktop web browser or the Citi Mobile App. Citi will send a one-time password authorisation code to you by SMS which will allow you to sign up for online banking. You can view your balance, payment due date and request online statements through internet banking with Citi.
Can I add supplementary cardholders to my Citibank credit card account?
You can share your Citi card benefits with your friends and family by applying for a supplementary credit card on your account. Simply download the online application form and submit it to Citibank, including proof of the Hong Kong ID of each supplementary cardholders.
More guides on Finder
Citi Prestige Card: Review and Fees
Access an exclusive lifestyle and an array of travel perks with the Citi Prestige Card, which offers privileges, discounts and benefits as well as rewards as you spend.
Citi Octopus Platinum Credit Card Review: Rates and Fees
Designed with the everyday spender in mind, the Citi Reward card rewards you for your daily expenditure and commute with Octopus cash rebates.
Citi Rewards Credit Card Review: Rates and Fees
Designed with the everyday shopper in mind, the Citi Reward card rewards you for your daily expenses with up to eight times the reward points.
Citi PremierMiles Card: Review and fees
If you’re a frequent traveller looking for a quality travel card that can help you accumulate miles and save concurrently, the Citi PremierMiles card is one to consider.
Citi Clear Card: 2021 review and fees
Earn cashback on online shopping in foreign currencies and treat yourself to a range of lifestyle benefits and privileges.
Citi Cash Back Card: Review and Fees
Find out how you can save on your everyday spends with Citi Cash Back card’s competitive cash rebates and promotions.