Citi Plus review
Level up along your financial journey with Citibank's digital banking platform.
Citi Plus is a digital wealth platform offering day-to-day banking features, along with comprehensive financial education and a range of investment products to help clients build wealth and meet their financial goals.
Learn more about Citi Plus, how it works and if it’s suited to your needs.
Minimum Initial Deposit
Maximum Interest Rate
How Citi Plus works
Citi Plus is a digital wealth platform designed to serve digital natives through mobile banking. It’s equipped with a suite of innovative features and allows users to transfer funds, invest, spend, and more — all within a single app.
In addition, Citi Plus also offers a series of financial wellness modules and personalised market insights to help its customers make better decisions in money management, wealth building and achieving their financial goals.
- Competitive interest rates. Unlock bonus interest (up to 1.8% p.a.) on the first HK$300,000 balance in your Citi Interest Booster account by completing simple tasks.
- Range of investment products. Citi Plus offers a wide range of investment products including stocks, money market funds and mutual funds from key partners such as Aberdeen Standard Investments, Allianz Global Investors and Franklin Templeton.
- Low investment threshold. Invest in money market funds for as little as HK$1, and mutual fund portfolios for as little as HK$100. In addition, trades can be conducted at your convenience without any transaction or monthly service fees.
- Wealth Smart. Level up with financial and investment literacy with a series of progressive self-learning resources, such as bite-sized content, courses, and quizzes.
- Wealth digest. Advanced analytics offer personalised market insights (e.g. news articles, products, or media content) to help you make informed investment decisions.
- Money Goal. Set up and keep track of your financial objectives with a personal goal tracking tool.
- Complimentary debit card. You’ll receive a physical Citi Plus Debit Mastercard upon successful account opening. The card can be used for cash withdrawal, as well as retail and online purchases.
- Citibank Global Wallet. Benefit from preferred FX rates and enjoy fee-free international shopping and ATM withdrawals. Simply activate the Citibank Global Wallet and exchange foreign currencies in advance.
- Cashback. Get unlimited 1% cashback from all eligible spend in HKD on your Citi Plus Debit Mastercard in the first 6 months, and 0.5% thereafter.
Fees and limits
However, there are some transactional fees to look out for:
- Early account closure fee. HK$500 (if you close your account within 6 months of opening)
- Over-the-counter cash deposit fee. 0.25% of the total deposit amount (minimum HK$50)
- Telegraphic transfer enquiry. HK$180
- Telegraphic transfer amendment or cancellation fee. HK$200
- Local ATM cash withdrawal from other networks. Up to 2.4% per withdrawal in Hong Kong dollars
Pros and cons
- Fast account opening. Open your account through the Citi Mobile App and start using it within 10 minutes.
- No minimum balance requirements. Enjoy the flexibility to bank your way without having to maintain any minimum balance.
- Wide range of features. This free-to-use digital bank account is equipped with a full suite of features including savings goals, debit and credit cards with built-in rewards, easy money transfer capabilities and more.
- Bonus interest rate. Earn up to 1.8% interest on your savings by completing a set of simple tasks.
- No overseas transfer fees. The service fee for overseas transfers via telegraphic transfer or Citibank Global Transfer is perpetually waived. However, charges may be levied by the intermediary’s bank and/or beneficiary’s bank.
- No joint account option. Citi Plus only offer individual accounts, so you can’t open an account with another person.
- No cryptocurrency support. Unlike some digital banking accounts available in the market, Citi Plus does not offer any cryptocurrency support at the moment.
For a free-to-use account, Citi Plus offers an impressive range of banking features and more in its all-in-one digital banking app. From its gamification element to investment opportunities, Citi Plus makes wealth management fun and simple.
Before you open a Citi Plus account, make sure to compare all your options and consider if its features are best suited for your financial needs.
How to sign up with Citi Plus
If you’ve compared your options and ready to open a Citi Plus account, simply click on the ‘Apply now’ button on the Citi Plus website. The account opening process will take approximately 10 minutes to complete.
If you are an existing Citibank customer, you can convert your account to Citi Plus by filling up a migration form online.
After you’ve complete the application process, your banking account will be ready to use in approximately 10 minutes. A physical Citi Plus Debit Mastercard will be issued to you in about 5 business days.
- Between 18 and 64 years old
- Reside in Hong Kong
- Have a valid Hong Kong Identity Card (HKID)
- Proof of residential address. A recent utility bill issued within the last 3 months
- Signature specimen. A piece of white paper with your signature
Step-by-step application process
- Start your application by clicking ‘Apply Now’ on the Citi Plus website.
- Complete the online form with your basic information (e.g. personal information, contact details, residency and HKID number)
- Once you’ve submitted the online form, you’ll receive your application ID. You’ll need to enter the application ID on the Citi Mobile App to continue with the account-opening process.
- Download and launch the Citi Mobile App.
- Click on ‘Open a bank account’ and enter the application ID.
- Follow the in-app instructions and provide the information required.
- Submit a photo of your HKID, a selfie, address proof, and signature specimen. If you’re applying for a Citi Plus Credit Card, make sure to submit your income proof as well.
- Create your username and password to complete your application.
Compare savings accounts
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.