Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best Fibre Broadband Plans
Use this guide to help you find the best plan for your needs
Finding the right Internet plan for you can be an overwhelming decision with all the different deals available on the market. Here are the different factors you should consider looking at to pick the best plan for you.
Compare Fibre Broadband Plans
How to choose the best Internet plan
What makes an Internet plan the “best” changes from person to person, so we’ve compiled a list of things to look out for when you’re trying to choose the best Internet plan for you.
- Price. Not all plans are created equal, and some providers will simply charge more for a comparable plan. The price of a plan can depend on what channel you used to signup e.g a street booth, online or instore, and whether or not your building is a public or private building.
- Speed. Every provider has a typical maximum speed for their plans. This tells you the maximum speed you can expect from the wallplate in your premises to the first piece of network equipment from the internet provider, and is what you should be comparing between similar fibre plans. Note that the actual speed you’ll enjoy will depend on a range of factors including your devices, location, time of day and more.
- Contract type. Month-to-month plans offer flexibility and let you switch providers on a whim, but are usually less common and have a higher price than longer plans. Longer contract plans usually let you waive set-up fees or include a modem as part of the plan.
- Extras. Do you need a home phone line, or are you interested in entertainment bundles? Some providers will include extras that you can sign up for on their Internet plans.
- Provider reviews. While reading reviews is important, be aware that some providers compensate people for writing positive reviews about them to improve their star ratings. Also check whether negative reviews are related to issues with the provider or simply written by customers who are angry for other reasons.
How to choose the best speed for your needs
The speed you get on your Internet plan will depend on which type of Internet you’ve gone for. We’ll take a look at what different speeds are offered by Fibre and mobile connections, and whether you can choose a specific speed for your needs.
Most fibre providers offer plans with maximum speeds of between 100Mbps and 1000Mbps (1Gbps), but some newer plans are as high as 10Gbps.
Mobile broadband speeds
The speed of mobile broadband can be highly variable, depending on where you are, how clear the space between you and the mobile tower is, and what technology you’re using. Here’s an idea of typical speed ranges for each technology:
- 3G: 2-10Mbps
- 4G: 20-50Mbps
- 5G: 100Mbps-1Gbps and up
Mobile broadband or home wireless broadband? Which one is best for you?
Mobile broadband and home wireless tap into the same technology: both of them transfer data using existing mobile data networks. The big difference between them is that mobile broadband devices tend to be highly portable, meaning you can take them just about anywhere.
Home wireless broadband usually relies upon heavier modems that need an external power source and thus aren’t very portable. In return, home wireless plans tend to have higher data limits and more consistent connections.
While they both use the same type of technology to function, the one that suits you best really depends on what you’re looking to get out of your Internet connection. If you need a highly portable solution so you can work out of the office or stream content on the go, you’ll probably be better off with a mobile broadband plan. Keep in mind that most mobile broadband plans won’t offer anything higher than 100GB so you may need to think twice if you’re planning to use it in a heavy capacity.
More guides on Finder
Starlink: Hong Kong pricing, launch date, features and competitors
Elon Musk’s Starlink promises to bring high-speed, satellite-based Internet Hong Kong-wide. We break down how it works, the costs, availability and competition it might be up against.
Top 8 domain and web hosting sites 2021
Whether you’re starting up your own business, expanding your growing company or sharing your ideas on a blog, these are the web hosting sites to use.
Tessabit discount codes and coupons February 2021: Free delivery on orders over HK$3,600
This fashion-forward luxury label has everything to ensure you look your best on all occasions.
How to sell bitcoin
Find out where to sell bitcoin, how to set your prices and pick up tips to help you get a better price.
Best Ethereum wallets
Your guide to the best Ethereum wallets, how they work and how to find the right ETH wallet for your needs.
How to sell Ethereum (ETH)
If you want to sell Ethereum (ETH) for fiat currency or cryptocurrency but don’t know how, you’ll find the help you need in this handy guide.
Best crypto hardware wallets of 2021
Everything you need to know about cryptocurrency hardware wallets, including how they work, the benefits they offer and how to choose the right wallet for your needs.
A to Z: The Ultimate Cryptocurrency Glossary
From bitcoin to Shitcoin, every term you will come across on your cryptocurrency journey can be found in finder’s A to Z: Ultimate Cryptocurrency Glossary.
The straightforward guide to cryptocurrency arbitrage
A beginner’s guide to cryptocurrency arbitrage, how it can help you take advantage of crypto price differences, and the risks you need to be aware of before you start trading.
Namecheap discount codes and coupons February 2021 | FREE space, with shared hosting
Offering the highest quality domain and hosting products, shop and save with Namecheap’s discount codes and coupons.
Ask an Expert