Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best Fibre Broadband Plans
Use this guide to help you find the best plan for your needs
Finding the right Internet plan for you can be an overwhelming decision with all the different deals available on the market. Here are the different factors you should consider looking at to pick the best plan for you.
Compare Fibre Broadband Plans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
How to choose the best Internet plan
What makes an Internet plan the “best” changes from person to person, so we’ve compiled a list of things to look out for when you’re trying to choose the best Internet plan for you.
- Price. Not all plans are created equal, and some providers will simply charge more for a comparable plan. The price of a plan can depend on what channel you used to signup e.g a street booth, online or instore, and whether or not your building is a public or private building.
- Speed. Every provider has a typical maximum speed for their plans. This tells you the maximum speed you can expect from the wallplate in your premises to the first piece of network equipment from the internet provider, and is what you should be comparing between similar fibre plans. Note that the actual speed you’ll enjoy will depend on a range of factors including your devices, location, time of day and more.
- Contract type. Month-to-month plans offer flexibility and let you switch providers on a whim, but are usually less common and have a higher price than longer plans. Longer contract plans usually let you waive set-up fees or include a modem as part of the plan.
- Extras. Do you need a home phone line, or are you interested in entertainment bundles? Some providers will include extras that you can sign up for on their Internet plans.
- Provider reviews. While reading reviews is important, be aware that some providers compensate people for writing positive reviews about them to improve their star ratings. Also check whether negative reviews are related to issues with the provider or simply written by customers who are angry for other reasons.
How to choose the best speed for your needs
The speed you get on your Internet plan will depend on which type of Internet you’ve gone for. We’ll take a look at what different speeds are offered by Fibre and mobile connections, and whether you can choose a specific speed for your needs.
Most fibre providers offer plans with maximum speeds of between 100Mbps and 1000Mbps (1Gbps), but some newer plans are as high as 10Gbps.
Mobile broadband speeds
The speed of mobile broadband can be highly variable, depending on where you are, how clear the space between you and the mobile tower is, and what technology you’re using. Here’s an idea of typical speed ranges for each technology:
- 3G: 2-10Mbps
- 4G: 20-50Mbps
- 5G: 100Mbps-1Gbps and up
Mobile broadband or home wireless broadband? Which one is best for you?
Mobile broadband and home wireless tap into the same technology: both of them transfer data using existing mobile data networks. The big difference between them is that mobile broadband devices tend to be highly portable, meaning you can take them just about anywhere.
Home wireless broadband usually relies upon heavier modems that need an external power source and thus aren’t very portable. In return, home wireless plans tend to have higher data limits and more consistent connections.
While they both use the same type of technology to function, the one that suits you best really depends on what you’re looking to get out of your Internet connection. If you need a highly portable solution so you can work out of the office or stream content on the go, you’ll probably be better off with a mobile broadband plan. Keep in mind that most mobile broadband plans won’t offer anything higher than 100GB so you may need to think twice if you’re planning to use it in a heavy capacity.
More guides on Finder
A beginner’s guide to cryptocurrency ETFs
If you’re looking for ways to gain exposure to bitcoin and other digital currencies, cryptocurrency ETFs could be worth exploring. Find out what crypto ETFs are and how they work in this introductory guide.
The best sites to buy brow shaping kits online in Hong Kong 2021
Nothing is more current in beauty than fabulous eyebrows. Get brow shaping kits from these retailers and save with our promos.
Citibank Citigold review
With Citigold, you can benefit from personalised asset planning to meet your financial needs and wealth goals.
Ethereum (ETH) price prediction 2021
What affects the value of Ethereum (ETH) and how might the price of ETH fluctuate in the year ahead? Find out in this comprehensive guide.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Axie Infinity guide: How to play and earn
Axie Infinity is an RPG game that is currently dominating the NFT sector. Discover what Axies are, what makes them unique and how you can earn money simply by playing.
Gemini vs Coinbase
We compare these two large cryptocurrency exchanges to see how their fees, features and customer support stack up.
Metamask wallet review and guide
All you need to know about Metamask – the browser extension digital wallet and a user-friendly bridge to the world of Ethereum decentralised applications.
The top stores to buy massage oils online 2021
Having massages at home can save you a bundle. We’ve found you the top 7 sites to buy massage oils online.
The best stores to buy foot care products online 2021
Put your best foot forward with a great range of leading brand footwear products from these trusted online stores.
Ask an Expert