Hippo home insurance review
A brand new insurer offering wide, no-fuss coverage.
- Get a quote if you like discounted coverage packages.
- Pick something else if you want a company with more experience.
- Homeowners in 20 states can apply.
AL, AZ, CA, CO, GA, IL, IN, MD, MN, MS, MO, NV, NM, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, WI
- No-fuss packages
- Cheaper than average rates
- Wide coverage
- Online quotes in 60 seconds
- Only available in 20 states
- No online claims
- Separate deductibles for wind, hail or hurricane coverage
- Coverage and benefit limitations
|New home discount discount||Yes|
|New homeowner discount||Yes|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||Yes|
|No claims discount||Yes|
|Personal property coverage||Yes|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||No|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Hippo offers package deals and discounted rates that are well below the industry average, making it a good choice for budget buyers.
However, it’s only available in 20 states at the moment, and there are some gaps in coverage.
If you need more comprehensive coverage or would prefer to manage your policy online, compare other home insurance providers.
What home insurance coverage does Hippo offer?
Hippo takes out the guesswork with packages that include a variety of protection. Coverage includes:
- Liability. Take care of people visiting your property who suffer injuries or property damage that you’re responsible for.
- Dwelling. Restore your home and the buildings on your property after damage from storms, fire or other covered accidents.
- Replacement cost. Repair or rebuild based on what materials and labor cost right now, rather than factoring in depreciation.
- Enhanced rebuilding. Boost your coverage up to 50% if a catastrophe raises the cost of rebuilding your home. Enhanced amount depends on your chosen policy.
- Foundation and water. Protect damage to your foundation and water damage from air conditioning, heating, automatic fire sprinklers or plumbing leaks.
- Loss of use. Pay for food, lodging or storage while your home is getting repairs.
- Service line. Cover your gas, sewer and water lines from accidents and wear and tear.
- Water backup and sump pump. Mend water damage caused by drain or sewer blockage. Standard plans cover up to $10,000, while Hippo’s top-tiered plan doubles that.
- Mortgage payment protection. Get help with payments up to $1,500 a month for 12 months if you can’t live in your home due to a covered accident. Not included in the basic plan.
- Local ordinance changes. Protect your budget if local laws change that make home updates more expensive.
- Expensive personal belongings. Get up to $5,000 of theft coverage for high-dollar jewelry, furs, watches and precious stones. Coverage is based on your chosen plan.
- Equipment breakdown. Repair or replace electrical items like your TV, appliances or water heater. Depending on your plan, get up to $100,000 in coverage with a $500 deductible.
- Computers and home office. Shield your computer and office equipment up to $10,000.
- Replacement cost for belongings. Repurchase your damaged belongings without worrying about a price gap due to depreciation. Not included in the basic plan.
- Domestic workers. Protect your home service professionals if they get injured on your property.
What’s not covered
The company covers most areas of your home, but with a few exceptions:
- Roof repairs. Your roof coverage may be maxed out at its depreciated or replacement cost value. Hippo determines your type of coverage based on your roof’s age and building material.
- Liability for dogs. Like most home insurers, Hippo doesn’t cover dogs with a previous history of biting or specific breeds. Breeds not covered include:
- Alaskan Malamute
- Cane Corsos
- German Shepherd
- Great Dane
- Pit Bull or mixed breeds
- Presa Canario
- Wolf hybrid or dog
What discounts and benefits can I get with Hippo?
On top of already competitive prices that Hippo claims will save customers up to 25% on premiums, this insurer offers discounts and complimentary benefits such as:
- Early bird. Start your policy eight days or more after applying to get this simple discount.
- Fire extinguisher. Follow fire safety laws with one or more extinguishers strategically placed in your home and get a discount.
- Hail-resistant roof. Watch your premium dip lower for having a certified hail-resistant roof.
- New homeowner. Find savings just for buying your first home or owning a home for under a year.
- No claims. Save by not having any past claims in your insurance history.
- Smart home devices. Get a discount for installing a complimentary home monitoring kit. The smart devices protect your home from fire, water and theft damage with a two-sensor monitoring system.
- Sprinkler system. Install an automatic residential sprinkler system to protect your home from fires and save.
- Storm shutters. Protect your windows with storm shutters for an easy discount.
- Policy switch assistance. Hippo can lend you a hand with the paperwork for switching from your current insurer.
- Hotel and transportation assistance. Your claim representative — called a claim concierge — can make hotel and transportation reservations for you.
What do customers say?
Hippo is accredited by the BBB and has an A+ rating. Being a newcomer, it doesn’t have many customer reviews, though it does average 3 out of 5 stars on both BBB and Trustpilot.
Reviews are mixed, with several customers citing low rates and helpfulness during the claims process, and several being disappointed by the speed of claim responses. A few had concerns or issues installing the smart home device.
Pros and cons of Hippo home insurance
- Bundled coverage packages. Enjoy a packaged deal that includes bonus protection you might not have chosen yourself.
- Discounted rates. Quoted packages ranged from $756 to $1,176 a year, below the industry average of $1,192.
- Wide coverage. Despite Hippo’s low rate, expect wide protection, including standout features like mortgage payment and breakdown coverage.
- Online quotes in 60 seconds. Get a quote in under a minute.
- Streamlined service. A quick quoting process is followed by a few additional questions to apply. Plus, you can email, chat or tweet customer service with questions along the way.
- Only available in 20 states. Only a handful of states get coverage, but this new company is expanding coverage.
- Online-focused quotes. Hippo lets technology handle most of the quote and application work, but this might not suit every customer.
- No online claims. While you can get a quote online, Hippo doesn’t stick to its online model for claims reporting.
- Multiple deductibles possible. Like many home insurers, you’ll unfortunately pay a separate deductible for damage caused by a hurricane, wind and hail damage, even if it’s during the same covered event.
- Coverage limitations. You might not get replacement cost roof coverage or protection for your dog, depending on a few variables. Also, benefits like the smart home system vary by state.
How to apply for Hippo home insurance
You can get an online quote, or call or email a licensed agent to start your application. For online applications:
- Enter your home address on Hippo’s homepage. Click Quote in 60 seconds.
- Choose your house and ownership type. Click Continue. Hippo will search for details about your home.
- Review the basic home details and estimate whether your home needs basic or advanced coverage. Click Continue.
- Choose discounts you might qualify for. Click Continue.
- Enter basic personal information and click Get Quote.
- Choose one of three coverage options, fill in remaining details about your home and payment, then start coverage.
For more personalized service, talk with a licensed agent by phone at (877) 838-8866 or email email@example.com.
What info do I need to apply?
- Phone number
- Year built
- Square footage
- Roof material and age
- Construction type
- Claims history
- Other residents
How do I make a claim with Hippo?
You can make a claim with Hippo by phone or email:
- Phone. Call 855-999-9746 at any time, although business hours are 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT. If you call outside these hours, your representative will get back to you as soon as possible.
- Email. Send your claims information to firstname.lastname@example.org.