How to use hide.me’s VPN to surf the internet securely and keep your personal information safe.
Hide.me is a VPN provider that will set you up with an account and provide support to do so. It has a slick website, a blog full of tips on online security, and an affordable pricing scheme.The organization is based in Malaysia, where companies are not required by law to track subscriber activity. Due to this they can guarantee users a high level of security. Using a VPN service like hide.me is the easiest way to access restricted content, such as Netflix’s US content library (if you were outside the country). It’s also a way to protect yourself from hackers stealing sensitive information.
Is using a VPN to access geographically restricted content legal?
There are many legitimate uses for a VPN. However, the legality of using one to access geographically restricted content is a bit of a grey area. While you’re not likely to attract the attention of the government, you do run the risk of having your VPN or streaming subscription cancelled. There is also the chance that a copyright holder may want to pursue legal action if you’re found to be accessing that content in an unlicensed region. Keep in mind that the very nature of a VPN masks your IP and prevents your online activity, so it’s not for us to say if and how the copyright holders would be able to identify you if you do choose to access their content without the proper licensing. Here at finder.com, we do not encourage internet browsing activity outside the law, we only aim to compare the services available.
hide.me promo codes and discount vouchers September 2017
What are hide.me’s pricing and plans?
Choose from three different hide.me plans.
|0 per month||Starting from $9.99 per month||Starting from $4.99 per month|
|3 locations||30+ locations||30+ locations|
|Best effort bandwidth||Unlimited bandwidth||Unlimited bandwidth|
|2 GB data transfer||Unlimited data transfer||75 GB data transfer|
|Limited protocol support||Full protocol support||Full protocol support|
|1 simultaneous connection||5 simultaneous connections||1 simultaneous connection|
|No port forwarding||Port forwarding||No port forwarding|
What operating systems can you use hide.me on?
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- OS X
- Windows Phone
hide.me VPN pros and cons
- No logs. Hide.me does not store logs of your online activity, so there is nothing for them to pass onto law officials if they were asked.
- Access to restricted content and resources. If you’re outside the country, you can get access to your Netflix (US), Hulu, Amazon Plus, BBC iPlayer, and more.
- Guides and assistance available. Setting up a VPN isn’t easy for everyone. hide.me has plenty of guides and support available to get you through the process.
- Secure your Wi-Fi. Take the steps you need to protect from government surveillance and identity theft.
- Strong encryption. Secure important information like passwords and bank details that hackers often target.
- Discounts for upfront payments. Pay for one year in advance, and receive discounts of up to 50%.
- Cost. If you plan to use your VPN frequently, you may need to consider one of the payment options.
- Can be complicated to set-up. If you’re not tech savvy, setting up a VPN can be a complicated task. Make use of hide.me’s apps to streamline to process.
Frequently asked questions
What locations are included?
Free – Netherlands, Singapore and Canada.
Premium – Austria, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Morocco, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, USA.
Plus – Austria, Australia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Morocco, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Kingdom, USA.
Does that mean I can still use this service from the US?
Absolutely. You can use hide.me from anywhere in the world, including the US. However, if you want to access something that is specific to a country, you’ll need to sign up to the Plus or Premium accounts that allow you access to that country. (So if you are outside the States and want to access your US Netflix account, you would need a Premium or Plus account.)
What does “best effort bandwidth” mean?
Hide.me’s paid customers have the highest priority in terms of bandwidth. From time to time, the company will have to limit the free user’s bandwidth. If you’re using hide.me to stream lots of content, you might want to consider a paid plan.
What does “simultaneous connections” refer to?
This number is how many devices you can have your VPN connected to. If you want to protect your phone, laptop, and tablet from hackers, for example, it would be cheaper to pay for the Premium plan (with five connections allowed at $9.99 per month), than to pay for three Plus plans, which only allows for one connection.