Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare the best hedge trimmers
You'll need the right tools to create a perfectly manicured yard.
A well-groomed yard can really boost your home’s curb appeal, and the right hedge trimmer can do most of the work for you. With electric, cordless and gas-powered models to choose from and prices ranging anywhere from $60 to $500, it’s important to shop around.
Compare popular hedge trimmers
|Type||Blade length (in)||Weight (lbs)||Purchase|
|Makita XHU02Z||$200.00||Cordless||22″||7.4||Buy now|
|BLACK+DECKER BEHT100||$29.99||Cordless||16″||4.55||Buy now|
|DEWALT DCHT820B||$125.00||Cordless||22″||7.5||Buy now|
|Greenworks Corded Trimmer||$45.00||Corded||22″||7||Buy now|
Why should I consider a hedge trimmer?
With a hedge trimmer, grooming your hedges, bushes and other plants around your home is a breeze. It’s quicker and easier than trimming by hand and requires much less elbow grease. A hedge trimmer also lets you turn your hedges into intricate shapes for a perfectly manicured look.
Aesthetics aside, regular trimming can also improve the health of your hedges, allowing you to remove dead or diseased portions and promote growth.
When is a hedge trimmer not a good idea?
If you don’t have many hedges or bushes that need regular trimming, you can probably pass on hedge trimmers.
If you prefer to keep things on the wild side, save your money and hire a professional when you’re ready for a trim.
What types are available?
If you’re buying a hedge trimmer for your garden, there are three main options to choose from:
- Electric hedge trimmers.
- Lightweight, quiet, quick-starting and inexpensive
- Easy to use and maintain
- Good for smaller yards, close to the house
- Don’t offer as much power as petrol-powered models
- Be careful you don’t accidentally cut the cord
- Cordless hedge trimmers.
- Battery-powered hedge trimmers provide freedom from power cords
- Strong and quiet performance
- Less vibration than a gas-powered model
- May be able to use the battery to power other tools from the same manufacturer
- Battery and charger may be sold separately
- Gas-powered hedge trimmers.
- Make fast work of hedge trimming jobs of all shapes and sizes
- Can be used anywhere
- Noisier, heavier and vibrate more than other options
- Require more maintenance
How to compare hedge trimmers
Once you’ve chosen between electric, cordless and gas power, take a look at the features and the performance of a variety of hedge trimmers. Electric hedge trimmers tend to be the cheapest models, so expect to pay more if you choose a cordless or gas-powered model. Most hedge trimmers fit within the $79 to $399 price bracket, but there are outliers at either end.
When comparing your options, consider the following factors:
- Your hedges. What type of hedges will you be trimming? Older, well-established hedges and bushes, might need a model with extra power to tackle thicker branches. The area you need to cut may mean you’ll want a longer blade and longer runtime for the job.
- Blade. Most modern hedge trimmers have double-sided blades and come with a variety of blade lengths. Most blade lengths range between 16 and 24 inches, but can be as short as six inches on smaller models, or up to 28 inches on large, gas-powered machines.
- Cutting diameter. Some manufacturers will list the maximum diameter their trimmers can cut. Pay attention to this number if you plan on tackling large branches and need a larger cutting diameter.
- Comfort. Test how comfortable a trimmer is to hold. Wraparound handles and/or rotating handles should allow you to easily hold the trimmer to cut at a variety of angles. Note that electric and cordless models offer less vibration than a gas-powered hedge trimmer.
- Battery life and charging time. For a cordless hedge trimmer, check the runtime from one charge and how long it takes to fully recharge the battery. Most batteries take an hour or less to recharge. If you want extra runtime, find out how much an additional battery pack will cost.
- Safety features. Safety features include:
- Hand guard. Protects you against debris.
- Automatic brake. Instantly stops the blades.
- Anti-jam function. To remove material caught in the blades.
- Safety switch. Keeps the machine off until you hold both handles.
Always remember to wear eye, ear and hand protection, and close-toed footwear when using a hedge trimmer.
If you want to buy a hedge trimmer to help tame your yard, compare your options based on how much you want to spend, the type of trimmer and how big of job you have planned.
How did we choose these products?
We considered the type, size, price, comfort and overall features of each product to create our list of the best hedge trimmers. We also took online reviews into account.
Frequently asked questions
Can you use a hedge trimmer to cut branches?
Hedge trimmers aren’t powerful enough to cut through very large branches or tree stumps, but you can cut smaller branches and twigs, depending on the model.
When should you cut hedges?
Pruning is best done in the winter or spring, and maintenance cutting is usually done in the spring or summer. Depending on the type of hedge and look you want, you may need to trim them up to three times per year.
Can I use a chainsaw to trim hedges?
Technically, yes. However, hedge trimmers offer more precision and are generally safer for this type of work. Chainsaws are better equipped to cut larger branches and trees.
More guides on Finder
Compare capsule coffee machines
We’ll help you choose the right capsule coffee machine for your home or office. Compare specs and features for popular capsule coffee machines.
Compare drones: Your guide to choosing the right model
Interested in racing, recreational flying or aerial photography? This guide helps you compare and choose the perfect drone for you.
Best prepaid phone plans of May 2021
Here are our picks for the nine best prepaid plans after analyzing pricing, data, features, discounts and fine print.
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
Charles Schwab vs. Vanguard
Compare fees, research tools and customer reviews when choosing between Charles Schwab and Vanguard.
Top places to buy American-made tools
Rely on American-made quality and durability while getting to work.
Compare the best IP speakers
Easily choose the right networked loudspeaker for your commercial space.
10 best car-buying apps
Compare models and find listings in your area with only a few swipes.
Best reusable coffee cups
Reusable coffee cups are great for the environment, but which are best? We researched and asked our staff, here are our top picks.
Ask an Expert