An innovative approach to life insurance helps health-conscious people get the rates they deserve.
Many life insurance companies apply the same rigid underwriting guidelines no matter who you are or how you live. For an industry that determines rates according to your lifestyle, shouldn’t healthier individuals receive a discount?
Health IQ thinks so. It’s gathered data from more than 1 million people to prove that health-conscious people typically have a lower mortality rate. Backed by scientific research, this data allows the company to negotiate exclusive rates from some of the best providers in the country.
- Get a quote if you want to be rewarded with a lower rate for a healthy lifestyle.
- Pick something else if you want to work directly with an insurance provider.
|Medical exam required|
|Temporary underwriting coverage||Yes|
|Temporary underwriting coverage|
- Best rates for healthy people.
- Tailored underwriting.
- Easy to use.
- Not a direct insurer.
- Not ideal for those in poor health.
- No online application.
It is accredited by the BBB, earning an “A” rating, and garners a 9.6 out of 10 on Trustpilot.
What types of life insurance coverage does Health IQ offer?
Health IQ is a life insurance broker, which means it doesn’t provide its own policies. Through its partnerships, Health IQ offers term and whole life insurance policies from more than 30 providers that include Prudential, John Hancock and Lincoln Financial Group.
But you can expect a range of policies that include term and whole life.
Term life insurance
The most flexible and affordable options offered through Health IQ tend to be this type, offering protection for beneficiaries who rely on your income.
Term life offers coverage for a term of 10 to 30 years, along with a fixed death benefit payout if you die while the policy is active. Premiums are paid monthly, quarterly or annually and remain the same for the life of the policy. You also typically have the option of converting a term life policy to whole life if you prefer permanent coverage.
Whole life insurance
Whole life insurance is a permanent policy that provides protection for life. Premium payments are generally higher than term life policies, but coverage extends through the life of the insured.
Premium payments go toward a guaranteed death benefit amount along with a cash value portion of the policy. You can often use the cash value portion to pay premiums, borrow against or invest toward cash value accumulation.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
Most life insurance providers offer a selection of riders that allow customers to tailor their coverage to suit their needs. But because Health IQ is a broker, you’ll need to speak with an agent or provider directly to discuss policy options before deciding on a plan. Some typical riders include:
- Child term. This allows you to add term life insurance for your children.
- Waiver of premium. With this benefit, if you’re disabled or lose income because of an injury or illness, you will no longer have to pay your premiums.
- Disability income. This benefit supplies supplementary income in the event you are completely disabled.
How much does Health IQ cost?
Health IQ is a broker, not a direct provider, so the cost of your insurance ultimately will be determined by the recommended insurance provider. But Health IQ states it can help healthy applicants save up to 41%.
How do I get a low rate?
Health IQ was designed to help health-conscious individuals get more affordable life insurance rates. For instance, you can save 4% off your rates by confirming an active lifestyle or scoring “elite” status on a test.
But aside from mere health, the best rates typically go to those who can meet guidelines that include:
- Minimal or no history of tobacco use.
- No history of alcohol or substance abuse.
- A driving record free of DWIs, DUIs, suspensions and other convictions.
- Healthy blood pressure and BMI.
- Well-managed chronic illness.
- A healthy diet.
More lenient than most providers, Health IQ’s underwriting guidelines are tailored to the lifestyle of each applicant. Your agent sends a personalized letter to the underwriter that provides a better picture of your lifestyle, painting you in a positive light.
Even if you aren’t living the healthiest lifestyle, Health IQ’s underwriting might still get you the best rates on the market.
Pros and cons of Health IQ
- Good rates for healthy people. Health IQ reserves its lowest rates for the health-conscious — and by no small margin — whether you run, are vegan or just care about your health.
- Tailored underwriting. Low rates come from tailored underwriting that considers your lifestyle and health knowledge with leniency toward factors like low resting heart rate or a family history of health conditions.
- Easy to use. A simple and concise site clearly summarizes how Health IQ works and offers a free quote tool that can help you get an idea of what you can expect to pay.
- Not a direct insurer. Health IQ is a broker for other providers, which means you’re directed to its partners to sign up for your policy.
- Not ideal for those in poor health. Top rates are designed for people with active lifestyles and a strong knowledge of healthy living. If you aren’t in great health, you might need to look into another provider.
- No online application. You can complete a quote form online, but signing up with a partner requires speaking to an agent, who walks you through the process.
Compare other life insurance companies
Health IQ reviews and complaints
Health IQ boasts impressive ratings from its customers. Of the 170 customer reviews on Trustpilot, a whopping 99% are positive, with customers praising its customer service, easy application and accurate, affordable quotes.
It is accredited with the BBB, earning an “A” rating, and garners a 9.6 out of 10 on Trustpilot.
How does Health IQ protect my data?
Health IQ collects your personal information in order to provide requested services and customer support, personalize your experience and qualify you for insurance products. Your information may be shared with Health IQ’s business partners.
Health IQ does not reveal its exact practices for safeguarding your data, but says that it takes reasonable measures to protect the information you provide against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure or modification.
More about Health IQ
Founded in 2014, Health IQ sets out to make life insurance more affordable for people who stay active and eat healthy. Using special underwriting guidelines, it tailors assessments to the needs and lifestyle of each applicant, boasting placement of some 70% of its clients into the top rate classes.
Case study: Kelly’s experience
I never thought much about life insurance until my wife was pregnant with our son. That being the only boost I needed, I quickly started researching. Being a runner, I had heard several ads on running podcasts for Health IQ and my interest was piqued.
- I initially had no idea they were a broker and was hoping to work directly with a provider. That said, my representative was always reachable and helpful throughout the process, so I never felt like going through them was an extra step.
- Before moving along in the process, they sent me a running quiz — presumably to see if I was an actual athlete. I did well, though it felt unnecessarily intimidating.
- By the time I received my quotes, they didn’t look all that different from the quotes I received by going directly through other providers.
In the end, I’m not sure Health IQ’s provider quotes were any lower than I’d get without using them as a broker. But it’s hard to ignore the excellent customer service I received. Being able to talk to one super-responsive representative throughout the process made it worth it to me in the end.
How do I sign up?
You can begin the process of getting a quote online, but will need to speak with an agent to find out rates and policies available to you.
- To begin, click Get Your Free Quote and then select what type of coverage you need.
- Answer some questions about yourself, including age, gender, height and weight, and individual income.
- Then provide your contact info and click Submit.
I’ve requested a quote. What happens next?
An agent will call you to obtain additional information and determine if you qualify for special rates.
How do I file a life insurance claim with Health IQ?
Health IQ doesn’t issue its own policies, so to file a claim, you’ll have to go through your provider.
In general, claims require a handful of required info:
- The policyholder’s full name, date of birth and other personal details.
- The policyholder’s date of death.
- The funeral home’s name and phone number.
If you have any questions, Health IQ’s support stands ready to help you navigate the claims process with your provider.
Health IQ is a newer life insurance broker that strives for top rates for the healthiest among us — runners, weightlifters, vegetarians and more. Its lenient underwriting and partnerships with top insurers may spell low rates even if you aren’t the healthiest.
But to get the exact coverage you’re eligible for at a price you can afford, compare your life insurance options before settling on any one provider.