Heacock Classic car insurance review October 2020
Insure any type of collector car — if you have a spotless driving record.
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if you you own any type of collector car and want to actually drive it.
- Pick something else if you’ve had an accident or major violation in the past five years.
New car protection
|States served||All 50 states|
|Roadside assistance||Included free|
|New car protection||No|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly|
- Pleasure driving allowed
- Event insurance
- Race cars allowed
- Good claims reviews
- Strict driver eligibility
- Strict vehicle requirements
- Rates may be higher than competitors
|Anti-theft device discount||No|
|Defensive driving discount||No|
|Good student discount||No|
|Safety device discount||No|
|Special employment discount||No|
|Other discounts||Good driver discount|
Andrew Flueckiger is a licensed insurance agent and Certified Insurance Counselor with experience in insurance and finance. A graduate of Indiana University, Andrew contributes a wealth of knowledge and experience to Finder. When Andrew isn’t writing, reading or practicing insurance, he can be found spending time with his family and playing the guitar.
Heacock Classic makes its name in the classic car insurance field by offering friendly and helpful customer service while protecting your classic car with a wide range of coverage options. It stands out for its ability to insure race cars and classic vehicle events, allowing you to keep all of your classic car insurance needs with one company.
It’s guaranteed agreed value coverage is a nice perk allowing you to work with your Heacock representative to make sure your classic car is covered for what it’s worth, without having to buy an appraisal.
The main downside to Heacock Classic is its strict driver guidelines. Your driving record must be crystal-clear to be eligible for Heacock insurance. And even though Heacock allows up to 6,000 pleasure driving miles a year, it’s fairly strict on how you keep and maintain your car.
Overall, Heacock Classic is worth checking out if you have a classic car, and you meet eligibility requirements. But before making a final decision, compare classic car insurance companies to get the best deal.
What insurance coverage does Heacock Classic offer?
Heacock Classic offers specialty car insurance coverage for classic and antique autos, with American Modern underwriting its policies in most states. Heacock offers the following insurance coverage options in its standard policies.
- Liability. Buy liability limits that cover you if you’re responsible for somebody else’s injuries or property damage.
- Medical payments. Included in most states, this pays for injuries to you and anyone in your vehicle, regardless of who’s at fault for the accident.
- Personal injury protection. Available in no-fault states, this offers broader coverage than medical payments but serves a similar purpose.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. This covers your injuries if the at-fault party either has no insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to fully cover the cost of your injuries.
- Collision. Collision covers damage to your own vehicle if you hit another vehicle or solid object, like a tree or telephone pole.
- Comprehensive. Provides coverage for theft, fire, hail or falling objects, and nearly anything else that’s not a direct collision.
- Agreed value. A selling point of Heacock’s insurance, agreed value comes with every Heacock policy and it ensures that both you and Heacock agree to a set value to cover your vehicle.
What extra benefits and add-ons does Heacock offer?
Heacock Classic doesn’t have a large number of add-ons, but offers the most common ones.
- Towing and labor. Included at no extra cost, Heacock reimburses you up to $75 if your car needs towing.
- Spare parts. Receive up to $2,000 in spare parts coverage for parts that aren’t readily available, also included in most policies at no extra cost.
- Automatic coverage for newly acquired vehicles. If you buy another classic car, you’ll receive an automatic $50,000 of coverage on it for 14 days before you need to add it to your policy.
- Deductible options. Standard $500 or $1,000 deductible options apply, but you may be able to get a higher or lower deductible on some vehicle types.
- Roadside assistance. If you’re stranded on the road, Heacock provides roadside assistance with a guaranteed flatbed towing truck.
What types of vehicles does Heacock cover?
Heacock Classic claims it doesn’t have strict definitions of classics, antiques or other types of cars. Rather, it labels itself as a collector car insurance company, so if you have a collector car, chances are good that Heacock will insure it.
- Classic and antiques. If your car was built before 1980, it’s probably labeled as either a classic or an antique, both of which Heacock can insure.
- Modern collector cars. Cars built after 1980 that are still collector cars fall under this category, which Heacock insures.
- Muscle cars and hot rods. With more power than a typical classic vehicle, muscle cars and hot rods in particular may benefit from Heacock’s automatic $2,000 coverage in spare parts.
- Exotic and sports cars. If you have a vintage or exotic sports car, Heacock can likely insure it, whether it’s labeled vintage or late model.
- Tribute and replicas. If you’ve built your own replica vehicle of a classic model complete with upgrades, you can protect it with Heacock.
- Race cars. Heacock will cover your race car with agreed value up until the moment it hits the track. It offers complete coverage except while racing.
- Event and show insurance. Heacock Classic offers commercial insurance specifically for events and shows, including liability coverage for the event itself, car club liability and standard commercial insurance coverage options.
What discounts can I get with Heacock?
The only discount that’s mentioned on Heacock’s website is a good driver discount, but it’s quite normal for a specialty insurance company to skip out on the standard discount options offered with regular insurance companies.
Pros and cons of Heacock car insurance
- No appraisal. You don’t have to pay for an appraisal with Heacock. Simply take photographs of your vehicle and you and your Heacock agent will come up with a valuation that you both agree on.
- Pleasure driving allowed. Heacock allows up to 6,000 pleasure miles a year, which is higher than many other classic car programs.
- Event insurance. If you’re hosting a classic car event, you can purchase the necessary commercial insurance through Heacock.
- Race cars allowed. Not all insurers will cover race cars, even when they’re not racing. Heacock covers them up until the minute they’re on the track.
- One liability charge. Whether you have one vehicle or a dozen, you’re charged for one overall liability limit.
- Strict driver eligibility. All drivers on your Heacock policy must be over 25 years old and have no major accident on record within the past three to five years as well as no major violations in the last seven to 10 years.
- Strict vehicle requirements. Heacock requires your vehicle to be locked up in a private garage when not being driven. And while 6,000 pleasure miles are allowed every year, Heacock doesn’t want you using your vehicle to run errands.
- Rates may be higher than competitors. Heacock claims on its website to be 40% cheaper than standard auto insurance, but it’s rates are higher compared to competitors offering classic car insurance.
Alternatives to Heacock car insurance
Heacock car insurance reviews and complaints
Heacock Classic is a small insurance company with about 40,000 clients, according to its website. It’s not rated with the Better Business Bureau, but sports a 96% 5-star review rating out of 708 reviews on Trustpilot’s website.
Most of Trustpilot’s 5-star reviews cite its excellent customer service, including that it’s easier and faster to call the company for a quote rather than go through the online process.
How do I apply for Heacock car insurance?
You can apply online or call Heacock at 800-678-5173. To apply online:
- Click Get A Quote on Heacock’s main menu at the top of its home page.
- Enter the number of vehicles you want to insure, select your state and pick a starting date for the policy.
- Click Start My Quote.
- Enter your personal information and your vehicle’s information.
- Click Get Estimated Quote and proceed with the application process.