Hawk FX review
Dedicated, one-on-one help for your overseas payments.
Hawk FX is a London-based company that offers competitive exchange rates and personalized customer service — but it’s high minimum transfer amount of $10,000 means it’s not for everyone.
How much will I pay to send money with Hawk FX?
Hawk FX doesn’t charge fees. Instead, it makes money off a margin added to the exchange rate. This is why the exchange rate you’ll be quoted is different from the one you can see on Google or Reuters — which is the mid-market rate.
How are Hawk FX’s exchange rates?
Hawk FX offers competitive exchange rates that are generally lower than what’s offered at major banks. It updates its exchange rates daily.
What types of transfers does Hawk FX support?
At the time of writing, Hawk FX only offers direct deposits to bank accounts and you’ll need to fund the transfer directly from your own account. Aside from one-time transfers, it also offers:
- Regular payments. You can set up a payment that’ll automatically go through at whatever frequency you need.
- Forward contracts. These let you lock in today’s exchange rate for a transfer up to two years in the future.
- Limit orders. You can request what exchange rate you want and, when that rate is met, your transfer will automatically go through.
- Business transfers. Hawk FX has a specific product that aims to help businesses reduce volatility and risk.
Pros and cons of using Hawk FX
- Personalized service. You’ll get a dedicated currency expert assigned to you.
- No fees. Hawk FX doesn’t charge fees to send money.
- Competitive exchange rates. While Hawk FX does charge a margin on top of the exchange rate, it’s often still better than going with a bank.
- UK-based customer service. The online chat feature to talk with a representative is only available during UK business hours, but you can reach someone on the phone 24/7.
- Only supports bank transfers. You can only pay by bank account and you’re only able to send to a bank account — Hawk FX doesn’t offer cash pickups.
How does Hawk FX compare to other services?
How do I send money through Hawk FX?
How do I track my transfer?
Hawk FX will send you an email updating you on the status of your transfer each step of the way.
Is Hawk FX safe to use?
Yes. Hawk FX is government-regulated by the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and keeps client’s money separate from their own. Hawk FX also uses SSL encryption, which gives you a secure connection when you log in to the website.
Hawk FX offers fee-free transfers and stellar customer service, but its $10,000 minimum means it’s not an option for small transactions. And while the company offers competitive exchange rates, compare providers to get the best deal.