Haven Life insurance review 2021
Backed by MassMutual, this online life insurance company issues term life coverage in minutes.
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want immediate online coverage.
- Pick something else if you want whole life or customizable policies with riders.
18 to 64
$100,000 to $3,000,000
No exams for some applicants
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20, or 30 years|
|Medical exam required||No exams for some applicants|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||18 - 64 years old|
- Simple application
- Financially sound
- Limited options
- Strict underwriting
- Online application only
Accelerated death benefit rider
Disability income benefit rider
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
If you’re in the market for term life insurance, Haven Life offers flexible, affordable policies online — and issues coverage within minutes for most applicants. The insurer also has a selection of riders, which is rare for insurtech companies that operate fully online, and has an excellent reputation for customer service.
However, it has strict underwriting guidelines that may prevent those with pre-existing health conditions from getting cheap rates. To explore other options — including permanent policies — compare life insurance companies.
Haven Life insurance rates
Like most insurers, Haven Life analyzes your health and lifestyle to determine your rate. According to the insurer, premiums start as low as $7 a month for young, healthy applicants and stay the same for the course of your policy.
We pulled quotes from Haven Life insurance online quote tool to get estimated monthly premiums for a $500,000, 20-year term life policy for a man and woman in great health. These quotes are valid as of April 2021.
|20||$19.76 – $37.25||$16.95 – $30.48|
|25||$19.76 – $37.25||$16.95 – $30.77|
|30||$20.19 – $39.75||$17.39 – $33.50|
|35||$21.05 – $43.97||$18.70 – $39.08|
|40||$30.59 – $61.41||$25.70 – $51.41|
|45||$49.37 – $95.90||$39.33 – $72.71|
|50||$76 – $146.83||$59.18 – $109.38|
|55||$122.45 – $239.58||$91.13 – $163.91|
|60||$212.18 – $396.48||$151.82 – $273.91|
What affects my rate with Haven Life insurance?
Regardless of your Haven Life insurance quote, living a healthy lifestyle is the best way to get the lowest insurance rates. And best rates typically go to those who fall within a few health and history markers:
- Blood pressure. Your blood pressure should be between 90/60 and 130/85 to get the best rates from Haven Life.
- Cholesterol. Life insurance providers measure your ratio of good to bad cholesterol and sometimes your overall cholesterol level when determining your rate. While Haven Life isn’t clear about its requirements, an overall level of 200 and an HDL ratio of 3.5 are good targets.
- Family history. Family history may affect your risk level as an applicant, so you can get the best rates at Haven Life if none of your family has died from heart disease, vascular disease or cancer before age 65.
- Tobacco. Tobacco and nicotine use greatly affect your overall health and life expectancy, so you’ll be excluded from the “Excellent” health class if you’ve smoked in the past five years.
- Driving record. Generally speaking, insurance providers expect a clean driving record for the best rates without any major violations or DUIs. While Haven Life doesn’t mention its requirements, you generally have a better chance of lower rates with three or fewer violations in the past three years.
How to get a quote from Haven Life insurance
You can get a quote and sign up for a policy on the insurer’s website.
- On the homepage, click Apply Now, and then Let’s begin.
- Answer basic questions about yourself and select the amount of coverage and term length you need. Then, click Calculate.
- You’ll be presented with an estimate of your monthly rate. If you’re happy with the price and you’d like to apply, click Continue.
- You’ll then need to create an account by entering your email address and choosing a password. Once you have an account, you can proceed to the application.
- The application requires answering an extensive list of questions about your health, medical history, lifestyle and occupation.
- Verify your email address and click Get my decision.
- Most applicants get an instant decision. If you need help at any time during the sign up process, you can use the live chat feature to communicate with a representative.
- If you’re approved, set up monthly auto-pay so you don’t miss a premium payment.
What info do I need to apply for Haven Life insurance?
As part of the application, you’ll need to provide:
- Your contact info
- Your Social Security number
- Details about your income
- Any risky behaviors or hobbies
- Your family and personal medical history
- Your beneficiaries
- Information about how you’ll be paying your premiums
What types of life insurance coverage does Haven Life offer?
This company offers term life insurance only. It’s available in 10-, 15-, 20- and 30-year terms, and those aged 18 to 59 can get up to $1 million in coverage. Most applicants don’t need to take a medical exam, but Haven Life will let you know if they need further information during the application process.
(If term life insurance isn’t the right fit for you, the insurer’s parent company, MassMutual, has a much wider selection of products.)
What riders can I add to my Haven Life insurance policy?
You can customize your coverage with a range of add-ons, including:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. If you’re diagnosed with a terminal medical condition, you can access up to 75% of your death benefit before you die .
- Disability income benefit rider. This rider pays out an additional benefit if you become disabled.
- Long-term care rider. This rider allows you to pull money from your death benefit to pay for care expenses if you’re diagnosed as chronically ill.
- Return-of-premium rider. This add-on reimburses a portion of your premiums if you outlive the term of your policy.
Haven Life insurance reviews and complaints
Haven Life has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2016, and holds an A+ rating for its customer interaction. Customers award the insurer 1 out of 5 stars, though this is only based on a handful of reviews. The BBB has recorded two complaints in the last three years, which is low for an insurance company and points to good customer service.
On TrustPilot, Haven Life has 4.7 out of 5 stars based on nearly 1,000 reviews. Most TrustPilot reviews praise the easy online application and approval process as well as the level of customer support they received.
There are currently no NAIC complaints with Haven Life in the consumer complaint database as of April 2021.
|AM Best financial rating||
1/5 out of 3 customer reviews
|Trustpilot score||4.8/5 out of 948 customer reviews|
|Customer reviews verified as of||20 January 2021|
Get free quotes from online life insurance companies like Haven Life
Frequently asked questions about Haven Life insurance
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.