Haven Life insurance review 2020
This all-digital approach to life insurance means you could get coverage in minutes
finder.com's rating: 4 / 5
- Get a quote if you want immediate online coverage.
- Pick something else if you want whole life or customizable policies with riders.
18 to 64
$100,000 to $3,000,000
No exams for some applicants
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||10, 15, 20, or 30 years|
|Riders||Accelerated death benefit rider, Conversion rider, Disability income benefit rider, Long-term-care rider, Return-of-premium rider, Waiver-of-premium rider|
|Medical exam required||No exams for some applicants|
|Available states||All 50 states|
|Issue age||18 - 64 years old|
- Competitive rates at an affordable price
- Effortless online application process
- No medical exam for some applicants
Julia Cameron is a writer and editor who has experience in finance, mergers and acquisitions, content marketing and immigration law. She has a passion for interior design and an affinity for Old Florida, where she lives with her family.
If you’re in the market for term life insurance, Haven Life offers flexible, affordable policies at the click of a button, with great customer service to back it up. However, it has strict underwriting guidelines that may exclude those with pre-existing health conditions working against them.
How do I sign up?
- To get a quote and sign up for a policy, begin by clicking Apply Now on Haven Life’s homepage and then Let’s begin.
- Next you’ll answer basic information about yourself and select the amount of coverage and length of term you desire. Then click Calculate.
- You’ll be presented with an estimate of your monthly rate. If you’re happy with the price and you’d like to apply, click Continue.
- You are then required to create an account by entering your email address and creating a password. Once you’ve created an account, you can proceed to the application.
- The application requires answering an extensive list of questions in order to give you an instant decision and to allow you to sign up online.
- Verify your email address and click Get my decision.
- Most applicants get an instant decision. If at any time during the process you need assistance, you can use the live chat feature to communicate with a representative.
- If you’re approved, set up a pre-authorized checking account for monthly auto-pay.
What info do I need to apply?
- Your contact info
- Social Security number
- Any risky behaviors or hobbies
- Family and personal medical history
- Source of funds for payments
Compare life insurance companies like Haven Life
What types of life insurance coverage does Haven Life offer?
This company offers term life insurance only. (Its parent company, MassMutual, has a much wider selection of products if term life isn’t for you.)
Term life insurance is often the most affordable type of life insurance policy, and there’s no exception here. Available in 10, 15, 20 and 30 year terms with up to $3 million in coverage, or up to $1 million in coverage for people ages 18 to 59.
Premiums start as low as $7 a month for young, healthy applicants and remain unchanged over the term of your policy. No medical exam is necessary for some applications who qualify, but Haven Life doesn’t disclose those details.
What riders can I add to my life insurance policy?
Haven offers a handful of supplementary riders to provide stronger situational coverage, including:
- Accelerated death benefit rider. If you’re diagnosed with a terminal medical condition, you can receive up to 75% of your benefit before you die to pay for medical expenses.
- Disability income benefit rider. Pays out an additional benefit if you suffer a covered disability.
- Long-term-care rider. This rider allows you to pull money from your death benefit to pay for care expenses if you’re diagnosed as chronically ill.
- Return-of-premium rider. Reimburses a portion of your premiums if you outlive the term of your policy.
How do I get a low rate?
Like most providers, Haven Life analyzes your health and lifestyle to determine your rate. But with so many factors at play, it’s tough to estimate what your rate will be — unless you use Haven Life’s online quote tool.
Regardless of your quote, living a healthy lifestyle is the best way to get the lowest insurance rates. And best rates typically go to those who fall within a few health and history markers:
- Blood pressure. Your blood pressure should be between 90/60 and 130/85 to get the best rates from Haven Life.
- Cholesterol. Life insurance providers measure your ratio of good to bad cholesterol and sometimes your overall cholesterol level when determining your rate. While Haven Life isn’t clear about its requirements, an overall level of 200 and an HDL ratio of 3.5 are good targets.
- Family history. Family history may affect your risk level as an applicant, so you can get the best rates at Haven Life if none of your family has died from heart disease, vascular disease or cancer before age 65.
- Tobacco. Tobacco and nicotine use greatly affect your overall health and life expectancy, so you’ll be excluded from the “Excellent” health class if you’ve smoked in the past five years.
- Driving record. Generally speaking, insurance providers expect a clean driving record for the best rates without any major violations or DUIs. While Haven Life doesn’t mention its requirements, you generally have a better chance of lower rates with three or fewer violations in the past three years.
Compare life insurance ratesCompare quotes for life insurance policies starting at $15/month.
Pros and cons of Haven Life
Haven Life is an innovative life insurance company with an easy online application and great customer reviews. However, it’s not ideal if you want to work with an agent or aren’t in perfect health.
- Simple application. Haven Life’s fully-digital applicaiton process makes shopping for life insurance easy.
- Financially sound. Backed by MassMutual, one of the most secure financial institutions in the country, it’s capable of paying claims.
- Fast. The online platform makes turnaround faster than the competition. Get coverage almost instantly.
- Limited options. If you’re looking for a permanent policy or a variety of riders, look elsewhere.
- Strict underwriting. While some insurers offer lenient underwriting, Haven’s more strict with its three rate classes — with the best rates unavailable entirely if you’re a smoker.
- Online application only. A benefit for most, you can only get a policy through Haven’s site. But you’ll still have to call in to make a claim.
Haven Life reviews and complaints
Haven Life has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2016 with an A+ rating, though there are only 3 reviews and 2 complaints as of October 2020. Haven Life also scores 4.8 stars out of 5 on Trustpilot out of over 900 reviews as of October 2020. Most Trustpilot reviews praise the easy online application and approval process and customer support. There are currently no NAIC complaints with Haven Life in the consumer complaint database as of October 2020.
Its parent company, MassMutual, is rated A++ (superior) by A.M. Best, which means that MassMutual is extremely stable financially and should be able to pay out future claims.
Frequently asked questions
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.