We know that everyone's situation is unique and we aim to help you find the right product for you. We may receive compensation when you visit our partners' sites or are approved for their products. You can read more about how we maintain editorial independence and how we make money here.
You’re faced with enough risks in life. Hanover can help you ensure that car insurance isn’t one of them.
With a focus on customer service, Hanover Insurance Group ranks in the top 25 Casualty and Property Insurers in the country. Competitive and comprehensive policies are sold through a network of independent agents in all 50 states to protect what’s important in life. Learn more about history, coverage, discounts, and more in our comprehensive Hanover car insurance review.
|Name||Hanover Car Insurance|
|Description||With a focus on customer service, Hanover Insurance Group ranks in the top 25 Casualty and Property Insurers in the country. Competitive and comprehensive policies are sold through a network of independent agents in all 50 states to protect what’s important in life.|
- Platinum Essential to Platinum Auto Elite policies
- Good driver discounts
- Highly rated customer reviews
- Potentially higher rates
- Online complaints of too much paperwork
- Difficult to research prices
What is Hanover Insurance Group?
Founded by a group of investors in Manhattan in 1852, Hanover is one of the oldest continuous businesses in the United States still operating within its original industry. The company is headquartered in Worcester, Massachusetts, and conducts business in more than 125 countries, with over $5 billion in written premiums. It’s recognized by Forbes as one of America’s best employers and most trustworthy financial companies.
This provider offers a range of personal insurance policies to cover anything from your vehicle to your home and anything in between. Its website provides convenient access to policy details, the claims center, and educational resources, but you’ll need to speak with an agent for a quote or to get coverage.
Where is Hanover car insurance available?
While Hanover’s website mentions that policies are available in all 50 states, that’s not necessarily true for personal insurance policies. Hanover’s personal car insurance policies are available in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Who is Hanover auto insurance best for?
While many providers are moving towards online approaches to insurance, Hanover recognizes the value in working directly with an agent. Since policies are sold through a network of local agents, Hanover auto insurance is best for those looking for coverage with a personal touch. Hanover’s competitive prices on its solid selection of policy options provide a balance between cheap car insurance and extensive coverage.
What car insurance coverage does Hanover offer?
- Liability. Covers expenses that range from damaging a vehicle to injuring a person in an accident.
- Comprehensive and collision. Known as full-coverage auto insurance, this can help pay for damage to your car due to vandalism, weather and accidents involving animals.
- Original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts. Extend your protection to even cover OEM parts in your most valued possessions.
- Newer car replacement. If your new car is totaled within a year or 15,000 miles of purchase, Hanover will cover its replacement without deduction for depreciation.
- Roadside assistance. Hanover will get your disabled vehicle to the nearest repair facility for free after an accident.
- Personal injury protection. This can help pay for indirect expenses — medical and rehabilitation, work loss and funeral costs — after an accident.
- Medical payments. Cover medical costs related to an accident, no matter who’s at fault.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Offers protection in the event that the other party doesn’t have adequate coverage to cover damages to you and your vehicle.
Discounts on Hanover car insurance
Hanover offers a number of discounts to help keep its prices competitive. Here are a few of the many discounts available:
- Account credit. Receive discounted rates when you have more than one type of insurance policy with Hanover.
- Paid-in-Full discount. Receive a discount when you pay your bill in full.
- Anti-theft devices discounts. Receive better rates on vehicles with anti-theft devices.
- Multi-car discount. Receive better rates when you insure multiple vehicles on the same policy.
- Accident prevention courses discount. Receive a discount for completing accident prevention courses.
- Good Student discount. Students can get better rates by holding a “B” average or higher.
- Safe driver discount. Get better rates when you have a clean driving record.
- No Fee EFT. Save up to $60 a year in installment fees when you enroll in Hanover’s online bill payment program.
Does Hanover offer any special programs?
Hanover strives to provide affordable insurance with great coverage. Here are a few of the special programs that can enhance your auto insurance coverage.
- Accident forgiveness. Your premiums won’t increase after your first accident.
- Waiver of deductible. Only pay for one deductible if an incident affects more than one policy.
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Parts. Repairs to your car will be done with original manufacturer parts as opposed to used or lower quality replacements.
- New Car Replacement Coverage. Replaces your new car without deduction for depreciation if it is totaled within one year or 15,000 miles of purchase.
- Newer Car Replacement. If your new car is totaled, this program pays the Actual Cash Value of a vehicle one model year newer than your current vehicle, less any applicable deductible, up to 120% of the Actual Cash Value of your current vehicle.
- Accidental Airbag Deployment. If your car’s airbag is accidentally deployed, this program can cover any fees associated with replacing it.
- Home Care Services. If you suffer severe injuries from an accident, this program pays up to $2,500 per month to cover housekeeping, food preparation, and other expenses.
- Rental Coverage Upgrade. Extra coverage that allows you to upgrade your rental vehicle to a luxury model or SUV.
- Pet Injury Protection. Extra protection in the event that your pet is injured due to an accident.
- Express Claims Auto Repair Program. Hanover has a network of certified repair shops with a lifetime warranty on repairs.
Get your personalized auto quote
Use our magical comparison tool to find providers with the best rates in your area.
Pros and cons of Hanover car insurance
- Lots of options. Hanover offers many levels of protection — from Platinum Essential plans to Platinum Auto Elite — so you can find one that works best for your needs.
- Good driver discounts. Hanover’s Deductible Dividends reduces your collision deductible by $100 each year you don’t have a collision claim.
- Highly rated. A.M. Best and BBB rate Hanover with high As. With more than $5 billion in written premiums, Hanover is proven to keep you and your assets protected.
- Potentially higher rates. In comparison to other auto-insurers, Hanover’s rates can be on the higher side.
- Online complaints. Some users complain of a cumbersome claims process that requires a lot of paperwork and many months to fund.
- Difficult to research prices. Insurance quotes are solely through agents, making it difficult to compare prices before signing on.
Hanover car insurance customer reviews
The Hanover Insurance Group is officially accredited on the BBB website with an impressive A+ rating to match. It also holds a composite score of 4.19 out of 5 possible stars, which considers both the official rating and customer reviews. However, despite the great ratings, there are a few complaints from customers, most of which are regarding billing or payment issues.
Reviews on other websites are a bit of a mixed bag. Some customers are quite satisfied with their coverage, while others cite issues with communication, billing, and other concerns. Keep in mind that many customers only go online to rant or rave about their experiences, so there are likely many customers who are satisfied but didn’t bother to leave a review anywhere.
How to apply for car insurance coverage with Hanover
Unfortunately for those who prefer to apply for auto insurance online, it’s not possible with Hanover. Instead, you’ll need to speak with an agent to get covered. You can get started by calling 800-628-0250 to get a quote, then inquire about purchasing your policy.
How to file a car insurance claim with Hanover
Hanover offers a 24/7 claims service to help you get your vehicle back on the road as soon as possible. Here’s how to use it:
- Visit Hanover’s website and scroll to “File a claim”, click “Get started”.
- Under “Online web forms”, click “Auto”
- Fill out all information for the insured party (Name, policy number, etc)
- Enter incident details (Location, description, time, etc.)
- Enter vehicle and driver information for all parties
- Add any attachments, review your claim, then click “Submit”
- Once your claim has been received and reviewed, Hanover will contact you to move forward.
If you’d rather file your claim by phone, you can call 800-628-0250 any time to get the process started.
How can I contact Hanover Insurance?
Although Hanover mainly operates through its local agents, there are a handful of other ways you can get in touch. Visit the “Contact Us” page on the website for details on how to contact them by:
Does Hanover offer any other types of insurance?
In addition to auto insurance, Hanover can insure your home or rental, business, watercraft and leisure toys and other valuable items. It also offers flood insurance, umbrella policies, commercial insurance policies and identity protection. However, not all of its products are available in every state, so you should speak with an agent to determine whether you can get the coverage you need.
Companies similar to Hanover Insurance Group
Hanover Insurance Group has been around for centuries — and for good reason. With its focus on customer care and satisfaction and a wide variety of coverage through its accessible online system, Hanover is a solid option for your auto needs.
However, its policies aren’t available everywhere, and you’ll need to apply for coverage through an agent directly. If you’d prefer to apply online or want to keep an eye out for potentially high rates, you should compare your options to find the best provider for your situation.